What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone used the Aerolab gascolator?

I have one and an Andair one, too. I decided to use the Andair one in my RV-3B. Here's why.

The Aerolab one, at least mine, has a little button that must be pressed to open it up. The button is unreasonably hard to press - the force needed is very high - as well as being tiny, so the pressure is high. Very high. And it has to be continuously pressed to unscrew the filter, while the threads used are annoyingly fine-pitched, so there is a lot of turning. I decided that the pressure, which was painful enough in the shop, wasn't going to be reasonable for year-to-year use.

That was the main reason. Basically, the ergonomics were too annoying. Not just bad - annoyingly bad.

I contacted the manufacturer and they outlined their thoughts as to why this was necessary. Too bad.... I used the word "painful," and that's what it is. There's no way I'll install something like that.

While the gascolator is intended to fit behind the firewall, it cannot be rigged to drain it remotely. With the Andair situated similarly, I can arrange to have a remote drain device. The RV-3B is a small, low airplane and crawling under the belly every flight won't be easier as I age.

Given that the Andair needs a mounting design and the Aerolab attaches to the bottom skin, there's little net weight savings to the Andair. But on my plane, I'll be including a Fiberfrax layer and an external protective Titanium firewall, and that combination adds to the mounting complexity of the Aerolab. Still entirely doable, though, so if you are going to use that system, don't let that dissuade you.

Just check the ergonomics first.

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for your thorough feedback! It sounds like the pressure required to operate the plunger was the main negative point. Do you think that could be overcome by making a tool to press on the "button"?

I'm imagining something like a screwdriver with a socket on the end that captures the tip of the plunger.

I installed one on my Rocket two months ago. Replaced the Andair that I had mounted in a poor location. So far so good - I like the fact it has a finer filter than the Andair and is much easier to service.

The "button" doesn't bother me.

I can't say why Dave is having the issue he mentions. We have disassembled the Aerolab filter/gascolators here many, many times. While the red button is firm, I certainly haven't experienced any pain from it.

It's easier to service when installed on an aircraft. Disassembling/servicing when off the a/c requires an extra hand to hold the unit.

I'm with Mark. I like the unit, but everyone has different needs and preferences.

Positive X3

Recently installed one in my hangar mate's 9A. As others have mentioned, I do not have a problem with operating the latch button, especially since under normal circumstances it only needs to be operated once a year. I will allow that it is a bit of a stretch to reach the drain valve when it is mounted in the middle of the cockpit floor, just forward of the shutoff valve.
The major benefits are:
> easily removable, large area, fine mesh cartridge-type filter;
> can be installed at the fuel system's lowest point, unlike the firewall mounted Usher;
> opening it up and closing it again does not require screws, tools, safety wire, or removing the cowl.

Positive x4

I just completed the install in my RV10.
I?m extremely happy with how it turned out. It?s a lovely piece of machining.
The button isn?t an issue for me either.
Being my second RV I?m very keen on improving maintainability year to year.
One of my least favorite maintenance tasks on the -7 was fuel filter removal and inspection. Just lots of B nuts and hose clamps in a confined internal space. The 10 looked like it would be no improvement. Problem solved now.
Im surprised they haven?t been more popular.
Richard

Aerolab gascolator

In July / August 2018 I installed two different Aerolab gascolators in my RV-4. Both leaked around the large o-ring seal on the removable screen. Flyboys worked with me in trying to solve the defect to no avail. My money was graciously refunded.
It is my understanding that in the last year Aerolab has gone back to the original black o-ring of which they were trying to increase the life cycle. Flyboys now pressure test each Aerolab prior to shipping. As I understand it this is an air pressure test under water. Not a fuel medium test.

Aerolab gascolator

In July / August 2018 I installed two different Aerolab gascolators in my RV-4. Both leaked around the large o-ring seal on the removable screen. Flyboys worked with me in trying to solve the defect to no avail. My money was graciously refunded.
It is my understanding that in the last year Aerolab has gone back to the original black o-ring of which they were trying to increase the life cycle. Flyboys now pressure test each Aerolab prior to shipping. As I understand it this is an air pressure test under water. Not a fuel medium test.

FWIW... I've measured the floor of the tunnel where the gascolator would attach at around 160F if I remember correctly. This heat could potentially take an Aerolab setup closer to vapor lock than the conventional filter.

We prototyped one in a RV7 mounted under the Andair valve. Used with the AFP boost pump under the STOCK covers. Was a tight fit, especially near the spar for the valve to gascolator inlet tube. The install works---client wanted it under the stock covers.
WE may play with this more if Blake gets a bunch of interest.
Tom

FWIW... I've measured the floor of the tunnel where the gascolator would attach at around 160F if I remember correctly. This heat could potentially take an Aerolab setup closer to vapor lock than the conventional filter.

Sorry I should have been more specific. They are installed outboard tucked under the gear weldments. This avoids the heat problems as well as the center bottom fuselage on the outside being a messy area.

Back