What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Bottom Fairing

RobB52

I am finishing up the rudder bottom fairing on page 12-2 and decided not to countersink the fiberglass for flush screws. It seems like there would be very little fiberglass material left for the screw head to hold when countersunk. Any problem just using the pan head screws here? It seems like it would be more secure than if countersunk. I did not countersink/dimple the access covers (optional by plans) so there will be other screw heads showing near the rudder. Thoughts?

Thanks

Are ypu building a -14A or a -14?

If building a -14, I would wait until the fuselage is together. The reason is that on the other taildraggers you have to modify the rudder bottom to avoid hitting the tail spring.

I am building the 14. Plans show the mod for the bottom fairing for the taildragger. I am just concerned if I try to countersink the screw hoes in the fiberglass, there will be very little fiberglass remaining for the screw to "hold" onto. For now, planning on using flat head screw instead of countersunk unless there is a good reason not to.

I am building the 14. Plans show the mod for the bottom fairing for the taildragger. I am just concerned if I try to countersink the screw hoes in the fiberglass, there will be very little fiberglass remaining for the screw to "hold" onto. For now, planning on using flat head screw instead of countersunk unless there is a good reason not to.

The flush screws work fine. All the RV prototypes have the fairing attached that way (including the RV-14A), and they have held up fine for thousands of hours.
Truss head screws will work fine also. Your choice.

Back