What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flat-lander heading west this September...any advice?

crewdog434

Howdy fellow flyers! Looking for some advice from those that live/fly in the western mountain areas. I'm planning on flying to San Diego from Indiana this September to see my son graduate Marine boot camp. I'm considering a west-bound track (think Interstate 80) to Salt Lake City, then a southern course to Page, AZ to take in the sites. Would like to fly the VFR corridors over the Grand Canyon on the way to southern CA. Eventually, I'll trek north toward Seattle, then progress my way east with a stop in Jackson, WY. Then I'll finish the trip with a pass over Devils Tower and the Badlands before returning home. Anyone with advice on passes that are frequently used in the mountain regions? Along with educating myself on the intricasies of mountain flying, I plan on doing the "mountain flying" only under VFR conditions.

I-80 is a good route.
Make sure you understand how to lean for max power for high density altitude takeoffs. Be patient.
I consider O2 mandatory for this trip.
Try to stay below gross weight for those takeoffs, especially if hot.
Why Jackson Hole? Airport is not close to town, a bit on the expensive side. Long climb (big valley, though) on departure. Other options include Driggs, ID, or even West Yellowstone.

heading west?

With that subject line on an aviation forum, my 1st reaction was, have you made your peace with your deity of choice, and are your affairs in order.

But I see now that you're just traveling.

Never mind....

Couple of thoughts

Pay attention to winds blowing over ridges. Allow 2000 ft clearance if possible. Severe up/down drafts can occur near ridge lines.

Smoother flights happen in the early hours. It gets bumpy when the thermals start.

Beware density altitude.

Don

I-80 is a good route.
Make sure you understand how to lean for max power for high density altitude takeoffs. Be patient.
Why Jackson Hole? Airport is not close to town, a bit on the expensive side. Long climb (big valley, though) on departure. Other options include Driggs, ID, or even West Yellowstone.

Hey.... Jackson Hole is the best........ I am a bit biased though....

As other have said,, watch the ridge top winds, fly in the morning and try to be tied down and relaxing by noon...

I did a trip last summer Houston, oshkosh, custer SD(mt rushmore), yellowstone, Johnson creek ID, Parkcity UT, Winterpark CO, Houston.

This was my first time in the mountains. I did alot of reading. Best advice fly early and land early. Most of my legs were 2 hours or so. We would leave at 7-8am and be on ground 9-10am and the flights were always great.

I 2nd the O2 and early flying, I fly the Sierras here in NV and above 10,500 for any length of time the mind starts to go dumb. I have been in up and down drafts of 500 to 1000 FPM and it gets a little concerning. Also I try to always have glide to landing spots any where you can.

I made the same trip (from Milwaukee, WI) to MCRD San Diego Oct 2013 to see my son graduate. Give me a call and I can talk to you about my trip. 262-391-7973.

Basically, I flew through the pass west of Pueblo, thru Montrose, CO, via Moab, Grand Canyon, Palm Springs and into San Diego. Stayed at Montgomery Field KMYF

Western Travel

Two summers ago we travelled from Dallas Area through Utah and Nevada, over the Sierras and into Sacramento and then down California and back across Arizona and New Mexico. It was beautiful and my wife enjoyed it greatly. However, if I was going to do it again I would be sure to have O2. We did it without trying to follow the passes but even at 10,500 on those hot days there isn't much oxygen for us low landers. My wife at one point said all she wanted to do was go to sleep while we were cruising at 10,500 through Utah and I knew that was a sign we had to get to more oxygen for a while. We would fly about 4 hours a day and then enjoy the rest of the day. One day we flew almost 7 hours and we both agreed that was way too much.

I would be sure to have O2. We did it without trying to follow the passes but even at 10,500 on those hot days there isn't much oxygen for us low landers.

"Hot days" affects how the engine runs, but not your body's oxygen requirements.

But I agree, having O2 let's you fly higher, where the air is smoother. Over Northern AZ, etc., 10,000' is only 3,000' AGL.

With that subject line on an aviation forum, my 1st reaction was, have you made your peace with your deity of choice, and are your affairs in order.

But I see now that you're just traveling.

Never mind....

Come on guys.... That was Capital F funny. Like in "Gone West".

You are now being returned to regularly scheduled programming.

land before 1pm

fly early before the winds start, land by 1pm to avoid the bumps. you'll like the trip.

Real Mountains??

Interesting thread.

I'm thinking of flying my -4 from Wichita to Los Angeles this summer. I was planning a stop in Santa Fe or maybe further south at Albuquerque. There are some ridges East of either of those locations, then more around Flagstaff, and of course the crossing around San Bernardino or Palm Springs.

These are pretty slight compared to anyone planning a Denver to Spokane trip but certainly not as conservative as Wichita to El Paso to LA. Is my trip "real mountains". Should I heed all of the above advice such as landing before 1:00 and getting some training/study ahead of time in mountain flying?

These areas are hot in the summer, density altitudes are high, so yes they are "real" mountains. That being said, the advice to fly early is good advice, but not an absolute. In the afternoons the up and down drafts get worse, the turbulence gets worse. Not necessarily un-flyable, but maybe not real pleasant. It's usually not as bad if you can cruise in the oxygen altitudes (above 14,500). Late July and August are the monsoon season, so you need to be prepared to divert in the afternoons, too. But these storms can often be circumnavigated visually. Give them a wide birth. Xm or ADSB wx is very useful for long range planning.

I'm flying the family to the San Diego area in a few weeks, a route similar from IXD..LVS..SEZ..CRQ. It will be IFR in a PA321/R.
What are the better fuel/restaurant stops along the route?
Lots of special use airspace between PHX and CRQ, is it best to file around and use airways?
Are the special use areas usually active on weekends?
Thanks,
Andy

Driggs not Jackson

I-80 is a good route.

agree, Driggs has a great restaurant and a small free museum. Jackson has fees.

Lots of special use airspace between PHX and CRQ, is it best to file around and use airways?

Andy

Out west, when I file ifr I always use the airways. Unless you are flying really high (like over 16000') filing direct is a pain, since it is your responsibility to check for sufficient (2000') terrain clearance. If the airway is particularly non-direct I ask ATC for a short cut. Usually you get it.

3 pieces of equipment

When I was preparing for my first cross country involving mountains, I got Oxygen (already mentioned) a pulse oximeter and a Personal Locator Beacon. My wife and I have found that our O2 needs are quite different and can tailor the flow based on the oximeter readings and the PLB is for peace of mind. I wear a fishing vest with the PLB, Oximeter and, possibly the most important piece of equipment,...

CAMERA:D

Have fun and take lots of pictures, including the panel so you can answer those performace questions about the trip that you never write down!

Here is a pict taken by my son somewhere between SLC and Bellingham, WA in Feb this year. He took it as he is a climber and observes the same formations as pilots.

The mountain flyers can comment.

IMG_3777.JPG

Back