What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

List of Switches - Toggle

Caummisar

Well Known Member
Just about to start drilling holes for toggle switches in the panel. Can anyone add or subtract to this switch list?

* NAV/Strobe - NAV (combination switch - ON - OFF - ON)
* Fuel pump (ON - OFF)
* AP cutout (in addition to what's on the stick) (ON - OFF)
* Landing light (ON - OFF)
* Taxi Light (ON - OFF)
* Pitot heat (ON - OFF)
* Seat heat (ON - OFF)
* Interior lighting (will be a dimmer)

This list doesn't include ELT, master and/or ignition switches
Suggested groupings would be appreciated too.

Lighting group
Heat group
Critical group (fuel pump - AP C/O)

How about changing the taxi and landing light switches so there's just one combination switch? (OFF - TAXI - LANDING)

My Cessna 180 is set up this way. I don't remember if the taxi light is on when the landing light is. I think it is but I'm not sure. That would be (OFF - TAXI - BOTH).

Dave

VP-X Pro in the mix too.

I've got the VP-X Pro in the mix, so I'll probably be using its wig-wag function, so I have to figure that out with respect to the switches.

How about changing the taxi and landing light switches so there's just one combination switch? (OFF - TAXI - LANDING)

My Cessna 180 is set up this way. I don't remember if the taxi light is on when the landing light is. I think it is but I'm not sure. That would be (OFF - TAXI - BOTH).

Dave

* NAV/Strobe - NAV (combination switch - ON - OFF - ON)

Since you're including interior lighting and taxi/landing lights, I assume you intend to do evening and night flying. So, why would you have either nav lights or strobe? I would think you'd want them either separated, or if combined, then off - nav - both or off - strobe - both

I've got the VP-X Pro in the mix, so I'll probably be using its wig-wag function, so I have to figure that out with respect to the switches.

The wig-wag function in the VP-X is enabled when the lights are switched on and you are wiring the taxi / landing light switch(es) through the VP-X. The wig-wag function is airspeed dependent and configurable when setting up the VP-X. For instance, you could set up the wig wag to start flashing at 90kts (below that speed both lights would be steady.) I am installing progressive switches (on-on-on) for the nav/strobes and taxi/landing. The far left position (my switches are installed with a horizontal orientation) is off; the middle is nav; the right is nav+strobe. Same idea for the taxi / landing lts.

Last edited:
groupings, position, sequence, colour???

In a way this is a follow-on to the cockpit ergonomics etc. DR recently discussed.....sightlines, reach etc.

I'd want to consider which switches are turned 'on' , preferably left to right, in a pre-start sequence.
then also, a group that may be activated at run-up, and those the you will want to use in an emergency.

for example, I'd like mine grouped so that upon any engine stumble, I can immediately hit
carb heat - hot
mags-both
fuel pump-on
mixture-rich
tanks-switch

...or whatever your systems dictate.
Mine is pretty close to being able to do without looking, but not perfect.
I added a big rubber sleeve on some of the critical ones so that they looked and FELT different than the others.

just another $.02

Last edited:
I'd add Alternator Field to the list of toggles, and put it next to Master.

Here's a pic of my switch layout. The spacing is at 1-inch intervals; too close and you risk flipping two switches at once, and labeling gets crowded in a hurry. Another option is to install switch guards for critical functions.

I preferred to mount Master & Alternator up high and out of the way, and I'm a big fan of color-coding the toggles with slip-on covers...white for lighting, red for what I consider the two primary switches, yellow for EFIS/Avionics and blue (to match the 100LL dye!) for the boost pump.

Bruce, that looks like a fun flight...glad you took advantage of the exceptional weather today. Camarillo has a monster extended threshold; I've done a couple of autocrosses there with planes on approach just 100 feet overhead!

Last edited:
Back