What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rod End Bearings - Elev & Rud

RobB52

What are you guys using to the screw the rod end bearings into the elevator and rudders? I lubed the threads with Boelube and was able to hand tighten for a few turns. The location in the leading edge prevents using a wrench; however, I was able to get a 18mm socket to fit over the entire bearing end. The socket unfortunately really scraped up the plating on the bearing ends. I though about a crows foot but I do not own any. What am I missing on screwing these in without damaging them in the process?

Thanks

Avery Tool or PVC Pipe

Avery sells a tool to fit over the end, or I have seen post where folks have made up their own from small diameter PVC pipe. A search of the archives may reveal other ideas.

In a pinch, cleco pliers will work without damaging anything if you're careful. Use tape as padding if you need to.

Whatever you do, don't just stick a screwdriver through the ball and run it in that way. I've seen plenty of damaged ball seals doing this.

PVC pipe

I just finished this using PVC pipe contraption. Buy a length of 1" pvc, a T fitting and a coupler. Make a T shaped handle, add the coupler at the bottom of the T. Cut a slot in a short section of pipe. The slot should be wide enough for one edge of the bearing to slide into the short pipe section. Then glue that into the other end of the coupler. Bingo, rod end bearing tool for about $3.

Can't take credit for this... bottom of the page

http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/odd-ends.html

Last edited:
Back