What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV down in Jackson Hole Wyoming

Turbowind

I am sorry to report the Vans community lost a good friend today. We have recieved word that Russ and Carol Kamptz of Loveland Colorado were killed in their RV 7 near the Jackson Hole airport this afternoon....Please say a pray for Russ , Corol and their family....

That is terrible news. It shakes you when it happens to part of the RV family. Our prayers are with Russ and Carol and their family. God Speed to them.

Sad news

This is heartbreaking. We had a great time talking with Russ and Carol at Vetterman's. Our prayers go out to their family.

Dang, is all I can say. He was a wonderful person in every respect, and will be greatly missed by all who knew him.
His plane was a highly modified RV-7, with a supercharged ECI engine. What wonderful duo Russ and Carol were.

Last edited:
Russ

I had one of my first RV flights with Russ. He was exceeding careful and was a true craftsman.

Very, very sad news.

A good friend / pilot / eye witness to the accident heard the engine on take off. It was not making full power. The pilot turned back and stalled approximately 500' AGL.

Mods, I know the rules on speculation, but this is an extremely reliable eye witness / experimental airplane owner. He watched the plane from take off to impact.

Feel free to delete this post if it crosses the line, but I feel getting accurate info out asap is benifical to all of us.

[ed. Thank you Larry. dr]

Last edited:
Shocking news to all of us here at KFNL. Russ and Carol were the best. Russ was the man to see whenever we needed some answers and would always drop what he was doing to help us out. We will surely miss them here in Loveland, Co as well as around the country in the RV community. Our deepest prayers to their family.-- Bob and Linda Eggleston

So sad

Absolutely the worst type of thread to wake up to here on this site.
I've never met these people but its like I lost close friends
LOE will be different this year. Keep them in yor prayers.

A Great Loss

Russ and Carol were wonderful friends and truly fine people who I will miss deeply. He always had several projects going, but was always ready to help with anything anyone needed. FNL will not be the same without them. Deepest sympathy to their family.

Dennis Mitchell
RV6A
Fort Collins

Does anyone here know if they have family nearby? If they have a pet(s) I am sure that they would want to make sure that they (the pet) is cared for.

Russ has 2 daughters in the area--one in town and one in Denver--and at least 2 brothers in town. No animals.

I'll probably go rattle the door knob on his hangar later today just to make sure it's secure. Plenty of time to sort things out later. I might go drive by his house too just to make sure it's taken care of. I feel certain the family will have already taken care of things, but I'm 3 minutes away so it won't hurt to just drive by to make sure. I don't want to interfere.

I've known Russ as part of the flying community since the mid-1990's and probably 10 years prior to that because my brother and I went to school with his daughters. My brother 'dated' his oldest daughter briefly, before either one of them were even old enough to drive.

The Kamtz name is fairly well known in town. Russ was a custom home builder for many years and then migrated into cabinet making. He grew the cabinet business into a significant enterprise. His oldest daughter and her husband now run the business.

He was very active in hotrodding before his involvement in homebuilt airplanes. He carried much of the 'rodder mindset into building airplanes--always coming up with new innovations.

It's a sad day in Loveland today.

The Russell & Carol Kamtz Memorial Service will be held on September 21, 2013 at 10:30 am

The services will be at Emmanuel Lutheran Church, 4650 Sunview Drive, Loveland, CO 80538.

My wife Ann and I will be flying in on the 20th and staying at the Holiday Inn Express.

I don't know them; but am deeply saddened none the less. My condolences to their family and all you grieving friends. I pray for you all.

Proud

This is a perfect example why I'm proud to be a member and support VAF! What a virtually close family.

Russ has 2 daughters in the area--one in town and one in Denver--and at least 2 brothers in town. No animals.

I'll probably go rattle the door knob on his hangar later today just to make sure it's secure. Plenty of time to sort things out later. I might go drive by his house too just to make sure it's taken care of. I feel certain the family will have already taken care of things, but I'm 3 minutes away so it won't hurt to just drive by to make sure. I don't want to interfere.

I've known Russ as part of the flying community since the mid-1990's and probably 10 years prior to that because my brother and I went to school with his daughters. My brother 'dated' his oldest daughter briefly, before either one of them were even old enough to drive.

The Kamtz name is fairly well known in town. Russ was a custom home builder for many years and then migrated into cabinet making. He grew the cabinet business into a significant enterprise. His oldest daughter and her husband now run the business.

He was very active in hotrodding before his involvement in homebuilt airplanes. He carried much of the 'rodder mindset into building airplanes--always coming up with new innovations.

It's a sad day in Loveland today.

I have never met Russ & Carol but know of them through the VAF brotherhood. Our deepest sympathies to their family.

This is horrible news; I am in total shock and denial. We lost a beautiful human being and a loyal friend. Russ was always ready to help and encourage his fellow RV builders. We will forever miss you my friend. Our prayers are with you, Carol and the family, God Speed.
John and Barbara Szantho

My deepest condolences to all affected - Russ and Carol were truly great folks. They are the left two in this photo, taken in Salmon, Idaho in 2006, on a trip we took with them to Van's homecoming. (The others are Cathy and Larry Vetterman, Ryan B., my son Brett and me.) I really enjoyed the various times I've crossed paths with Russ and Carol, and they will not be forgotten.

20060901%2520Russ%2520Carol%2520Cathy%2520Larry%2520Ryan%2520Brett%2520Alex%2520Salmon.jpg

Back