What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Should I drill my main spar web? Z bracket

bobmarkert

Well Known Member
The top skins are going on my slow build wings this weekend. The leading edge was attached and I attempted to bolt on the wing tank per the directions. One Z bracket does not line up (see pic). No amount of jiggeling with the other bolts loosened up will help. My options are to enlarge the hole in the spar web slightly, or install a floating nutplates on the Z bracket.
Suggestions?
Thank You

znutv.jpg

wingskin.jpg

Z bracket

I would opt for the floating nut plate. When I did mine , each z bracket got labeled , up ,down A,B,C etc.. As I did not want to mix them up .You could also put a doubler on the z for a new nut plate location.
Tom

Z Bracket

I agree with g-Zero and would also use the floating nutplate. Heck, the early RV's (RV4 & RV6) did not even have Z brackets and only had perimeter fasteners. I don't know of any problems with those tanks that are not also common to the RV7,8,9 series. This is not a big issue as to integrity of construction either way you fix it.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 flying 10 years
RV4 accident Rebuild, flying 30+ or - years
RV8 SB ready for finish kit
Las Cruces, NM

I agree with g-Zero and would also use the floating nutplate. Heck, the early RV's (RV4 & RV6) did not even have Z brackets and only had perimeter fasteners.

I was wondering about that and thinking I was crazy. I didn't remember there being z-brackets on my dad's RV-6.

With that said, how does one install/remove the bolts from the z-brackets when the aft wing skins are on (or worse, when the wing is attached to the fuselage)? I'm still waiting on the wing kit to arrive...

Vans Reply

Here is the reply from Vans. I have not decided which way I will go yet but I have some options.

How far is it off? If you only need to ream the hole to #11 or #12 then it's not a big issue. Sometimes you will need to make slight adjustments like this...

Z brackets

Just had this happen yesterday. We didn't have to drill anything. Pull out your punch set with various sizes. Slip a pin punch a little smaller than the hole in the CENTER hole of the z bracket. Move it to the side and the upper and lower holes will line up. A little lubriplate on the bolts, thread in, remove pin and the center hole will now be lined up.

Don Oltman
918 232-5033

Back