What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empty Wt & Measurements

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
120241 was weighed today. OWE was 732 pounds with the interior kit but no paint. I measured 1 main at +23 inches and the other at +23 1/2, with the nosewheel at -40 inches. I plan to try to get a more accurate measurement Monday since that 1/4 inch discrepancey bothers me. Anyone have any of their measuremenst-- or factory numbers-- handy?

Thanks

Wayne 120241

weight & Balance

Left wheel 23.25, right wheel 23.25, nose wheel 40.5, total weight with oil & coolant 702.6
Gerry

More info needed...

Hey you guys, this weight info is not real useful unless you indicate whether you have installed any of the options.

AP74 and servos?
Dynon D100 dual display?
Side panel upholstery?
Carpets, front?, rear?
Nav/strobe/landing lights?
Wheel pants?
Interior priming?
Interior painting?
Exterior painting?

I have not reweighed yet after painting, but I am much heavier than your numbers.
Tony

weight & Balance

Wayne make sure the nose wheel is plum with the aircraft or the measurements will be slightly off. Aircraft weight is relative to what the owner desires in options. N6GC is a basic EAB VFR aircraft.
Gerry, VAF 172
Cub, NC88583
Repeat builder, Six and Nine

Weight on Nose Wheel

What kind of weight are you guys seeing on the nose wheel? I know that loading will change all of that, but I am curious about the empty weight on the mains versus the nose wheel.
Tom

Wheel weights

As stated, no paint, some priming, Interior kit only. OWE 732 pounds.
Nosewheel: 138
Right Main: 303
Left Main: 291-- remember, the oil sump, battery, and fuel tank (dry, but still a couple of pounds) are on the right side.

Closer measurements, with a plumb bob, gave me Right main +23.25,
Left Main 23.125, Nosewheel -40.25. I'm ASSUMING that the 1/18 inch difference is in the accuracy of my measurements, not a wheel strut that's not straight.

Wayne 120241

First weight was 725#. LW 288, RW 292, NW 145 full oil with autopilot. No fuel.
Second weight was 882 #. added upholstery, lights and wheel pants, full oil and 120# of fuel. LW 359, RW 399, NW 124.
LW 23.25 RW 22.5. We have to measure the arms again as I'm sure the wheels aren't that far out of line. The airplane flew fine at both weights. We are waiting for a hangar to open up at the local airport as the grass field we were using is just too rough. We corrected right wing heavy and added rudder trim and now flys hands off at 5300 rpm. Hope this helps.
John Foy #120123

G-RMPS weight

Another data point.

Measured weight today is 754 lbs, empty moment is 80.5, so at forward CG limit with no fuel, no baggage and no crew. Includes lots of primer, two-colour paint, lights (except landing light is away getting black paint scraped off), full interior trim, 3 x 2.25 inch backup instruments in the right panel, the second map box with a video recorder (but not the second Dynon!), no autopilot and no spats yet. Oh and 4 months of Proseal and a metal plate on the blasted fuel tank ;-)

Virtually ready to fly...

Cheers...Keith

Last edited:
RV-12 HEAVY

Heavy RV-12? :rolleyes:.

After my paint job, which weighed in at 16 pounds, my empty weight is 778 pounds. The paint job did take 9 pounds off of the nose wheel weight. The plane has all the options and I did a lot of interior priming and painting.

OK, I know that all you "light is best" guys are recoiling in horror, but even at this weight I still have a decent payload capacity and a great flying airplane.
[url=http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12-Project-N577RV/Color-Scheme/11643931_KpABS#977168359_vBdja-A-LB][/URL]

The CG limitations for the RV-12 are 80.49 to 85.39. I really can't find a senario on my W&B spreadsheet where any sane loading would put the aircraft outside of these limits. However, with a heavy passenger I will have to watch baggage and fuel loadout to stay within max gross weight.

With a 190 pound passenger I can load full fuel and max. baggage, as long as I keep my weight (180) in control.

All in all, a very nicely designed LSA. :)

Tony

Last edited:
...and a very great looking airplane.:)

Thanks for the detailed data. I'm still a couple months from weigh in, but getting closer everyday.

One more data point.
"Sweetie" - N412BR:
750.5 lbs empty
Empty Moment Arm 82.09
Empty Moment 61605.1

Has AP servos
One Skyview screen, standard avionics.
Full interior and carpet.
Lighting kit.
Comprehensive multi-coat full exterior paint.
Not very much interior primer e/x mating surfaces, but full primer and paint inside in the cockpit area.

Nosewheel measurement 39.75", Main wheels both 23.25"
Left main 304.5 lb, Right Main 313 lb, Nosewheel 133 lb.
Includes weight of the hose for relocation of the oil pressure sender!

Above numbers are WITHOUT wheel pants mounted.

2 BIG 200lb guys, full fuel, full baggage is right at gross weight and well within aft CG. Full fuel burn has arrival within CG as well.

Now, a *very* lightweight pilot, full fuel and baggage would be slightly aft of the CG range. So some baggage in the passenger seat for that case!

Very nice capability!

"All in all, a very nicely designed LSA.

Tony"

And built too! A fine airplane and beautiful. I know - I've been lucky enough to fly as F/O with Capt. Tony.

Bob Bogash
N737G

N328KL weighed in at :

154 on the nose
284 on the left
289 on the right

Total Empty : 727

24" from axle to plumb point on both L & R

39.75 from nose axle to plumb point

skyview / lights / oil at mid point on the dipstick and full of coolant

I was pleasantly surprised by my empty weight a couple of weeks ago.

Oil & coolant in engine
Skyview avionics
Autopilot with servos
Lighting kit
No primer or paint throughout

Total empty weight = 718 pounds on a set of computerized and calibrated aircraft scales. I'm delighted!

I was pleasantly surprised by my empty weight a couple of weeks ago.

Oil & coolant in engine
Skyview avionics
Autopilot with servos
Lighting kit
No primer or paint throughout

Total empty weight = 718 pounds on a set of computerized and calibrated aircraft scales. I'm delighted!

Jerry... I'm not meaning to be critical... just making a comment to help other builders wondering why they get different numbers.

I have enough experience with multiple RV-12's to say with some level of confidence that I think your weight number is low by 8 - 10 lbs (but maybe you put helium in your tires :D).

RV builders should probably expect an airplane equivalent to yours to weigh in the neighborhood of 728, or so.

Congrats. on finishing. Looking fwd to seeing all of the new RV-12 at the many fly-ins this summer.

Scott,

For the past week, I've been wondering what could've been left off when we weighed the plane. Nothing has come to mind. I've also been mentally reviewing the construction of each sub-assembly, searching for weight-saving tips. Again, nothing except for leaving all alclad aluminum unprimed and unpainted. I did spend an excessive amount of time throughout the project deburring and sanding smooth all edges of every single piece throughout the entire plane. For instance, I spent four solid weeks on the wing ribs alone. Could I have collectively sanded off ten pounds of alumumum over the past three years? I doubt it, but it sure looks pretty. I'll keep this concern in mind and will try to perform another weight and balance with a different set of scales.

Jerry

At 727 empty, arm of 80.49 and moment at 85217 (empty)... Myself at 175lbs and 15 gal of fuel, nowhere near the envelope. Even adding 100lbs of ballast in the passenger seat, still not close..... On paper. Anyone else have this issue ??

I haven't flown N562E yet, but have a brand new Airworthiness Certificate, Operating Limitations, and no excuses except for work and weather. In order to come up to the 1050 lb gross weight for the first test flight, I'll need the plane at 718 lb, me at 210 lb fully clothed and wired for sound, 15 gallons of fuel, and 32 lb of ballast strapped into the passenger seat.

Hey, wait a minute...

727 lb empty plane
175 lb pilot
90 lb fuel
58 lb ballast

Adds up to 1050 lb GW for first flight.

I think the problem is in your calculation of the empty moment arm.

(80.49 inches) x (727 pounds) x = 58516 inch-pounds

You stated your empty moment as 85217 inch-pounds.

With the empty plane, yourself, 58 lb of ballast, and 15 gallons, you're at 1050 GW and 82.68 inches. Right where you wanna be.

DAR Experience?

So Catbird....did you get your inspection on Sat?

How did it go? Or is this on another thread?:confused:

Catbird
Congrts on getting your cert. Here I am in Benton City and forgot to bring my little book with your phone number. Sure would like to see your finished product. Give me a call at 2536777026 if you have time to show your handy work. I will be leaving Thursday morning.

Last edited:
I think the problem is in your calculation of the empty moment arm.

(80.49 inches) x (727 pounds) x = 58516 inch-pounds

You stated your empty moment as 85217 inch-pounds.

With the empty plane, yourself, 58 lb of ballast, and 15 gallons, you're at 1050 GW and 82.68 inches. Right where you wanna be.

A little aixelsyd set in. whew, thanks for looking at that. on to better things now. haha

And an other one ready! Yesterday was airworthiness inspection.

785lbs
Full upholstery, AP option, nav/strobe lights, wheel fairings, PowerFlarm (ADS-B), tow bar kit, all primed, interior painted, rivets filled, (heavy) three color outside paint with two layers of clear (wingwalk is painted anti slip).

okpf.jpg

viuu.png

Last edited:
Glad to find another heavy 12

Gagarin737

Great looking plane! But I am fond of that scheme, very close to mine.

I get a lot of grief from my buddys with 12s in the area do to the wt & balance. My numbers are very close to yours. :D

wt & ballance.jpg

Mighty fine looking plane! I am afraid I could not wait until August to fly it though.

Problem is that I have to fly a lot next month ;-)

Wow! That paint job is amazing! Better carry around a Valium to take when it gets the first scratch! :)

I already had some tears after the first scratch on the wheel fairing (bumped into my cart trailer). Painter redid the fairing. Anyway PH-BZT stands for "Bloed Zweet en Tranen" / "Blood Sweat and Tears" (not the band)

Gagarin737

Great looking plane! But I am fond of that scheme, very close to mine.

I get a lot of grief from my buddys with 12s in the area do to the wt & balance. My numbers are very close to yours. :D

Thanks for the files you have sent me! I guess I have a heavy tail but I still will be within limits solo with a full tank. Otherwise a three bladed prop ;-)

Last edited:
Jabiru Install Wt & Bal

FWIW...

Empty Wt: 736 lbs

Jabiru 2200 engine
Wood Prop
Lighting Package
Wheel Pants
Painted
Primed Interior
Dual GRT EFIS
GRT EIS 4000
Dual Comms
Transponder
Seat Cushions only

Last edited:
Jab / Rotax Sample Loading CG Comparison

I'm bored today. Decided to download Sporty's E6B for the i-pad/phone. Playing with the numbers I thought it would be interesting to compare my typical aircraft loading with spouse aboard against the Rotax -12s. The Jab engine projects quite a bit further forward than the standard Rotax configured -12. It would be interesting to see the difference in CG. See my post above for installed equipment.

Empty Wt: 736 lbs
Full Fuel: 120 (close enough!)
Pilot + Pax 460 (I wish it was a typo but its not :()...Note: I just got on the elliptical trainer after posting this...once every two months isn't too bad!
Baggage 4 (added this just to put us at gross)
Total 1320 lbs
CG 83.1 inches

Landing CG with 5 gallons of fuel puts us at 81.1 inches.

Using the same payload figures as above, how does our CG compare with yours.

Last edited:
My plane is a bit heavier. With the same fuel and baggage I can take 410lbs for pilot and passenger. In that case I end up with almost the same c.g.

j2fd.png

My plane is a bit heavier. With the same fuel and baggage I can take 410lbs for pilot and passenger. In that case I end up with almost the same c.g.

j2fd.png

FWIW,

Thanks for sharing your data. Here are the takeoff / landing CG values for both aircraft comparisons loaded to max gross weight for takeoff to include full fuel, 4 lbs of baggage, and max pax weight (as respective aircraft payload allows). The landing CG is based on 5 gallons of fuel upon arrival.

Takeoff / Landing CG
Jab: 83.1" / 81.1" (note: at "0" fuel upon arrival, my CG is at 80.48"...we may have to start throwing clothes out the window to be legal!)
Rotax: 83.8" / 81.8"

CG Limits: 80.49 to 85.39"

Last edited:
VH-YRT

One more data set for the record (recorded in metric units with lbs rounded to whole numbers):

Left: 610mm, 137.8kg [24.0", 303 lb]
Right: 605mm, 145.2kg [23.8", 319 lb]
Nose: 1015mm, 68.3kg [40.0", 150 lb]

Empty weight: 351.3kg [773lb]
Empty moment arm 2070mm [81.50"]

Aircraft painted externally and primed internally, full interior from Abby but the two rear bulkhead pieces were not installed, seat headrests, landing light and strobes, A/P, Skyview plus 4 additional 2-1/4" instruments in the panel, wheel pants, main gear leg fairings and intersection transitions.

Last edited:
Back