What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

U.S. Sport Aviation Expo at Sebring '08

JerryG150

Well Known Member
Just wondering if any of you are planning to attend the Sport Expo at Sebring this year (Jan. 17-20). http:///www.sport-aviation-expo.com/ I've attended the Expo for the last 2 years and if your interested in Sport Planes it's the place to be. I saw the Cessna SkyCatcher there last year when it still had the Rotax engine.

This year Rans is going to be showing his S-19 and probably giving demo rides ... maybe I'll get lucky and take one for a ride. As of January 1st. all Rans's kit prices went up 5%.

Does anyone know if Van is planning to bring the RV-12, proof of concept, to the Expo? Would be a nice cross-country test flight all the way to Sebring, FL. I'm planning on taking quite a few pictures of all the competition at the Expo and I'll post them in this thread for those who might be interested. Just hope the original RV-12 will be there.

Last edited:
Sport Expo

I'm going because a friend of mine is flying down and he says he is bringing money..it will be fun watching him spend it! You might find deals because all of the dealers are finding that the Euro exchange rate has really slowed sales. The dates are Jan 17-20 BTW.

Sport Expo

I'll be going as it is less than an hour away by plane and is interesting to see the new offerings. Two years ago I ordered a Rans S7S at the Expo and finished it this past Feb. How well do I like it; since Feb. I have put 219 hrs. on the S7S and about 40 hrs on the RV6-A.

Pictures from Sebring

I know this is an RV forum so I'll try to keep the pictures and videos pertinent to RV interests ... if I can.

I got to see the Ran's S-19 close up and it looks like a beautiful aircraft. Fit and finish were excellent and the paint job was as nice as a factory Cessna. It was a little tricky getting in and out of, but thats going to be a problem for any 248lb. pilot and a low wing airplane ... RV-12 entry and egress will be a hassle too I guess.

I went to the Rotax display and took several pictures of the Rotax 912ULS, 100hp engine. We future RV-12 builders will become familiar with the Rotax very soon I hope.

I also saw the new Cessna SkyCatcher, Cirrus SRS, Tecnam Eaglet, Flight Designs new CTLS and the new entry Gobosh (Go big or stay home) light sport airplane and the RV-9 LSA (I didn't know the RV-9 was a Light Sport till I got home and looked at the picture ... very nice indeed.

The majority of the LSA ready to fly home and "well equipped" were between $100,000-$!30,000. That's the reason I'm seriously considering the RV-12 ...I'm hoping nicely "equipped" RV-12 can be build for $50,000-$59,000 and since I'm retired hope to have it in the air in 18 months or so.

Enjoy the pics.
Various pictures from Sebring Sport Expo ...
http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh257/JerryG150/?albumview=slideshow

Video of Ran's S-19 from Sebring Sport Expo
http://s258.photobucket.com:80/albums/hh257/JerryG150/?action=view&current=100_4332.flv

Last edited:
........It was a little tricky getting in and out of, but thats going to be a problem for any 248lb. pilot and a low wing airplane ... RV-12 entry and egress will be a hassle too I guess. .......

I've been in both and the RV-12 wins this category. Vans RV-12 is simple to get in, (6', 240#). Getting in the Rans S-19, I felt like I needed to crawl on my hands and knees to keep the tail from smacking the ground.

JerryG150 said:
"RV-12 entry and egress will be a hassle too I guess."

That is a 'guess' on your part at this point... I hope we find out (soon?) that you are wrong.

Last edited:
Sebring Expo

Thanks for the Sebring Report.

Wow!! That RV-9 LSA is even sporting full paint, and weighing in at a mere 903#. What an accomplishment!!

The performance figures look good and the only negative is that you need to limit the fuel when you are flying with a passenger. Otherwise, fill?er up and let?er go!

We have what we asked for: Sliding canopy, tail dragger, Lycoming power, driven rivets, fuel in the wings, and a proven design.

There is a lot to be said for the RV-9 with a real Lycoming engine, over an over priced and under powered, foreign built, complicated, high revving, troublesome gear box driven Rotax, with more hoses than a Laundromat.

Then again, I may just be prejudice

Tom

Back