What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is your average hourly fuel rate?

seagull

Well Known Member
Rotax 912ULS fliers.

If you typically cruise 100 - 110kts and have average ground run-up and taxi times, how much fuel do you use per hour (actual fuel replacement measured)?

Please share any information that is unique to your specific situation, like typical AUW, average altitude, mogas or 100LL, etc.

5200 to 5350 rpm, most flights around 30 min to an hour,

2500 rpm idle until run up, usually 6 to 9 minutes before oil is up to temp at 120F

91 octane mogas from Costco,

2500 to 3500 on the 1/2 hr or less flights, 5500-6500 ASL on longer flights over an hour one way.

107 to 112 kts true air speed, on most trips for burgers.

Prop is pitched for around 5175 to 5200 rpm at Vy 75 kt takeoff 1000 ASL at local airport. Pitch might be a tiny bit shallow, compared to Van's recommended pitch.

Plane is painted, with wheel pants and intersection fairings on foot rests, main wheel pants and fuselage.

AUW usually around 1150#

Consistently 4.4 to 4.7 gallons per hour, for about as long as I can remember.

Climbing to 9500 ASL for a 1 hour trip for extended glide range over the Pacific ocean to make shoreline in event of engine failure from Los Angeles to Palomar eats a lot more fuel, for the safety margin.

Trips from L.A. to Oceano, Santa Maria or Santa Ynez, CA being longer trips, end up on the low side for GPH consumption.

Last edited:
I haven’t noticed a difference in consumption 100LL vs. 93 Mogas. On average it has been about 4.5 gph running at 5200-5300 RPM on cross country flights, maybe closer to 4 gph if I baby it and cruise closer to 5000 rpm. Those figures include my 15-20 minutes before and after flight on the ground. I have pretty much started just planning cross country flights with no longer than 3 hr fuel stops and plan with 5 gph just to play it safe.

Last edited:
14 litres mogas (3.5 US Gallons) for 100Kts indicated at 4800 rpm, at, say, 2-3000ft.

I haven’t noticed a difference in consumption 100LL vs. 93 Mogas. On average it has been about 4.5 gph running at 5200-5300 RPM on cross country flights, maybe closer to 4 gph if I baby it and cruise closer to 5000 rpm. Those figures include my 15-20 minutes before and after flight on the ground. I have pretty much started just planning cross country flights with no longer than 3 hr fuel stops and plan with 5 gph just to play it safe.

This is pretty much the same numbers I see. I don't have an RV12, but I do have a Rans S6S Coyote with the Rotax 912.

My first year I flew at 5100 RPM and saw 4.5 GPH. Now I fly at 5300 RPM and see 5 GPM. The difference is not due solely to the RPM difference as I noted consumption was increasing as the engine broke in.

My first year I flew at 5100 RPM and saw 4.5 GPH. Now I fly at 5300 RPM and see 5 GPM. The difference is not due solely to the RPM difference as I noted consumption was increasing as the engine broke in.

What is your true air speed with those RPM's, Rich?

Back