What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Georgia airplane tax(s)

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
I need a feed on whatever property tax and such is placed on RVs. Looking at an area near Gainesville (KGVL).

Thanks,
Carl

Property tax is typically ~$30/$1000 on 40% of the aircraft’s value. So on a $100k airplane : $100k x 40% x 30/1000 = $1,200.

The millage rate varies with where the airplane is based, but the $30/$1000 rate (3%) is a reasonable estimate in most places.

The only wiggle room is around assessed value.

Last edited:
Just got the property tax bill on my $75,000 value plane based in Putnam County - approx $480. This will differ county by county depending on millage rate. Call the county tax office and ask them the millage rate.

Two tax bills at KGVL

I had my Cardinal based at KGVL some years ago, and the tax bills were a good bit higher than I had previously at KLZU as you will get a bill from both Hall County and the City of Gainesville. Nice well run airport but in the city limits.....

Last edited:
Just got the property tax bill on my $75,000 value plane based in Putnam County - approx $480. This will differ county by county depending on millage rate. Call the county tax office and ask them the millage rate.

Just curious. Is this an annual tax bill? Or a one time bill when registering a N number?

Bummer :(
Then, I'm assuming they must have a special aviation taxing authority assessment. Florida hits you once on registration.
It's just part of the annual personal property tax obligation in Georgia - same process for boats, jet skis, and other watercraft too.

The millage rate varies with where the airplane is based, but the $30/$1000 rate (3%) is a reasonable estimate in most places.

I'm assuming they bill you when you register your N-number, then you tell them where your plane is based? (The address associated with my N-number would be my home address, but my plane may not be based in the county where I reside.)

I'm assuming they bill you when you register your N-number, then you tell them where your plane is based? (The address associated with my N-number would be my home address, but my plane may not be based in the county where I reside.)

The airplane is taxed where it is based. I live in Cobb County, the airplane is in Bartow County and is taxed there.

The initial tax bill came from Cobb, and I had to let them know to transfer it to Bartow.

Georgia Airplane Tax

I was hit with state sales tax as soon as I registered my RV4 with the FAA. Later the county valued my airplane for ad valorem tax according to asking prices that were listed in Trade-A-Plane for RV4’s. I had to argue with them that many factors establish the value of an airplane, not just inflated asking prices. I offered to sell it to them for what they had it valued at. In Georgia you might be able to pay all the tax up front and not have to pay anymore in subsequent years. At least that is how it works for automobiles. You can elect to pay all at once (expensive) when you buy or yearly thereafter. Not sure if that is an option on airplanes.

I was hit with state sales tax as soon as I registered my RV4 with the FAA. Later the county valued my airplane for ad valorem tax according to asking prices that were listed in Trade-A-Plane for RV4’s. I had to argue with them that many factors establish the value of an airplane, not just inflated asking prices. I offered to sell it to them for what they had it valued at. In Georgia you might be able to pay all the tax up front and not have to pay anymore in subsequent years. At least that is how it works for automobiles. You can elect to pay all at once (expensive) when you buy or yearly thereafter. Not sure if that is an option on airplanes.

Fortunately/unfortunately, you can't pay all the taxes once in Georgia. Sales/use tax is collected when the airplane is first registered in the state.

After that, you pay personal property tax every year. I've found the personal property tax assessors fairly flexible. I, too, was hit with an absurdly high valuation on my first property tax bill. They had used Trade A Plane as a resource and I argued that the airplanes they saw in TAP A) Were equipped differently than mine and B) those were asking prices on airplanes that might be overpriced. Ultimately, the agreed on value was reasonable.

Taxes

The yearly ad valorum tax can be itemized but not the one time tax. We got snookered on that one. I went from paying 100 for a vehicle tag that was deductible to paying 2800.00 at the purchase of a new car that isn’t deductible. What’s up with that? Careful on those Georgia constitutional amendments.

Back