What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerolab Gascolator

Looks dreamy, compared to pulling the in cockpit filter out in my 8! :) Will be interesting to see how it works as people start installing them.

I like the concept a lot but it's so darn heavy! It should be a quarter pound lighter.

They need to post the flow data and describe the filter, too.

Another question is whether there are any credible failure modes involving the that tank-blocking valve (that automatically engages upon removal of the bottom assembly) which would block fuel flow in operation.

Dave

All of the images I saw on their website site appear to be computer generated solid models. Have they actually produced any? Maybe i just missed it. If I were selling something like that I'd post a pinterested of an actual production unit... maybe that's just me.

Owner/Installation Manual

Hi everybody!
First of all let me thank you for starting this thread about our product, the Filter Gascolator RR002.
I am writing this note to let you know we just published the Owner and Installation manuals on our website.
You may download them at http://www.aerolab.it/accessories/

Let me take the occasion to deserve a special "thank you" to David Paule who kindly revised our poor english wording in both manuals.

I will be happy to reply to any question you may have about the product.

Francesco
Aerolab Mfg, Inc.

Order?

Does anyone know how to place an order for the gascolator?
Maybe I'm having a moment but I don't see a link and ni one responded to a "Contact" form.
Now I'm getting a little nervous about ordering.

Hi,
for the new filter gascolator we produced just 5 samples, for laboratory and flight testing.

Four of those have been installed on 2 F1 Evo, which owners initially generated the request for this sort of solution.

Now all the testing have been completed and the product works flawlessly.
We believe to confirm the first production batch by September, in order to be ready for deliveries let's say mid October.

We are taking note of interested customers and, when everything will ready for shipping, be sure we will let you know.

We brought the filter with us at the last Air Adventure, where we had some scheduled meeting with potential customers and, let me say, it was an encouraging success.

Francesco
Aerolab Mfg, Inc.

Aerolab gascolator

Edited. I received a response from Francesco

I'm reviving this thread as the product should be tested and ready for market. A few questions for either early adopters or Francesco.

1. Is fuel flow sufficient to allow installation before the boost pump? Example is one in each wing root or one located after the valve and before the boost pump?
"The answer to your question is: yes.
The pressure drop through the filter is really minimal, even working at low pressure.
We tested it and published on our manual (downloadable form our web site at http://www.aerolab.it/ )"

2. Is the cartridge assembly secure against possible in flight disassembly? The design would totally cut off fuel flow. Maybe ok for the gascolator in each root but one before the pump would be a total fuel starvation.
"Yes, there is a locking device that will keep the cap firmly in place.
To unscrew the fuel cap you have to push a release button; the fuel stop valve operates when the release button if fully extended"

3. Is the filter sufficient to eliminate all other filters from the fuel system or reduce the filter count to one?
Edit. I didn't ask Francesco this question. My apologies to Francesco. He has been very responsive to all my questions.
Here is Francesco's response...
The answer to your question is yes and no.
The filter we put in production is made with a 50 nu mesh;
this mesh is usually the smallest used by the great majority of fuel delivery producers, including fuel injection systems.
From this point of view is true to say that a 50 nu filter will protect the engine from the fuel tank exactly as would do the in line filters of same dimension installed just before the engine.
On the other side experience tell us that not all the fuel clogging/dirt contamination related issues experienced in the past came from dirt entered the fuel system from the fuel tank;
in many cases the contamination was generated during some maintenance operation, some hose or terminal replacement that contaminated the system somewhere between the fuel tank and the engine.
Summing it all up I would suggest to have two filtering stage: one just between the tank and the fuel selector (or better two, to have the possibility to switch from a contaminated filter to a cleaner one) and one just before the engine.
In any case the rule remains the same: you may have all the filters you wish but in any case they shall be easily and regularly inspected and serviced, otherwise they can turn up to be a risk.

Feel free to post your opinion.

Last edited:
Dealership Agreement

Dear all,
we are pleased to inform you that Aerolab Mfg, Inc. closed a dealership deal for exclusive distribution of our filter and accessories over US and Canada territories with Flyboys Accessory of Blake Frazier.

The move was taken to provide the best and quicker support tyo our North American customers.

We are sure most of you know and appreciate the activity of Blake and Vince Frazier for our aviation community.

Full details on: http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/72rr02.htm

Customers from other countries may continue to contact us through our website at www.aerolab.it

Francesco
Aerolab Mfg, Inc.

Production Unit Images up for inspection

Hello Folks! For those of you that were concerned that only computer renders were available for the gascolators, we've got photos up now of the production units.

I have to say, we're impressed with the quality of the unit! Francesco and his folks at Aerolab did a great job making sure everything was up to snuff before shipping them to us.

You can find pics at https://flyboyaccessories.wordpress.com/2016/12/23/aerolab-gascolator-production-unit-pictures/

and on the product page at http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/72rr02.htm

Hi Blake,
Any pictures available that show actual installations? Curious to know where you would install these in a RV-4 or RV-6? Behind the firewall would reduce vapor locking from a firewall mounted gascolator like I have in both RVs.
Looks like you would have to cutout a large hole in the belly for this to fit thru. What is the diameter of the hole?

Last edited:
I searched "gascolator" here and found several good arguments why a gascolator is not needed or useful in an rv. Basically the lowest point in the fuel system is the drains in the wings. I am installing a fuel injected engine and Van's doesn't even include one in their firewall fwd kit since the boost pump has a huge and very fine filter to install before the pump. Even with a carb engine, you could probably do just as well with a good filter.

Carb & gascolator

I searched "gascolator" here and found several good arguments why a gascolator is not needed or useful in an rv. Basically the lowest point in the fuel system is the drains in the wings. I am installing a fuel injected engine and Van's doesn't even include one in their firewall fwd kit since the boost pump has a huge and very fine filter to install before the pump. Even with a carb engine, you could probably do just as well with a good filter.

I think it's included on the carburated models. The gascolator is pretty nice. I was going to install it between the selector and pump then the AFP filter after the pump. The idea was to mohnt it in the belly skin so it could be easily maintained. I changed my mind after reading ahead and found it was not in the plans.

how about a mod?

I like the concept, but was wondering if I could do a simple mod.
Can I slice off the red plunger that sticks down, and use a probe instead to push up the plunger to release? I don't like having thinks sticking down that a curious on looker at an airshow can push and pull. Also seems too easy to bump while washing plane.

John,

You can trim the red plunger down if you want to, but why? You've already got two similar plungers, the fuel sump drains in your gas tanks, that protrude and rely on spring tension to seat them. You check them during preflight, just as you would this unit.

FWIW, the red plunger protrudes above the skin, when installed, by only 5/32"... hardly worth mentioning.

The beauty of this gascolator is that you can service it anytime you like, without removing the cowling, shutting off the fuel, or making a big mess.

The red plunger prevents the cap from being unscrewed, so even if by some remote event did the plunger become and remain retracted, you still have to turn the cap to remove it. It won't come out by itself.

Other comments mentioned the fuel drains being the low point of the fuel system. That is debatable, but the Aerolab gascolator can certainly be mounted in a position lower than most firewall mounted gascolators.

I understand that everyone has their own requirements and that this new idea in gascolators upsets the traditional view of gascolators. However, the Aerolab gascolator has many significant benefits:
  • doesn't depend on a wimpy wire bale to keep it closed
  • pressure rated and leak resistant
  • more options for installation position
  • serviceable without tools
  • serviceable without removing the cowling
  • has a large area, 50 micron fine mesh, serviceable, stainless steel filter, unlike traditional gascolators
  • typically mounted away from engine heat
  • typically mounted in the belly, the lowest point for most aircraft

Product photos and more info: http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/72rr02.htm

Last edited:
A little clarification on fuel line size

Hello everyone! I have had a few customers asking us about fuel line size on this unit, so I wanted to clarify here.

The fittings on both the input and output of the gascolator unit are sized for 3/8" OD fuel line, which is standard equipment on most RVs, including the -10, as well as the F1 and Harmon Rockets using the IO-540. Comparable and compatible fittings would be AN***-6 size.

I think some of the confusion is coming from the AN822-6D fittings we recommend (and the other angles of fittings that can be used). These fittings have a standard AN flared tube connection on the fuel line side and 1/4" NPT fitting on the other side. The 1/4" NPT size can be offputting, but note that the NPT system refers to the ID of the fitting where the 3/8" size on the line is referring to the OD. In spite of their confusing measuring system, these fittings do not restrict the flow of the 3/8" fuel line, and are the right and proper size for use in this application.

Hope this clears things up!

RV-6 installation completed

First I would like to say that Francesco has been outstanding to deal with. This guy typifies the brotherhood of recreational aviation and his attention to detail should ensure this new gascolator is a winning product. A top bloke. A great product. I wish him well.

Installation into the fuselage was very simple and in total took me about 1.5 hours. The stainless steel template available makes hole placement a breeze. Due to a combination of orientation and skin thickness requirements I ended up making a 0.032" shim which is riveted to the fuselage to ensure a nice flush finish on the outside. The result is a very tidy installation with easy plumbing to the fuel system.

I've mounted the gascolator just forward of the Fuel Selector, in the centre of the fuselage and forward of the main spar. This is almost at the lowest point in the fuel system. The only downside is that I will have to crawl under the fuselage during Annuals to drop the filter out, but hey, if that's the only downside then I'm still way ahead of my original plan.

Why did I go this way? I wanted filtration prior to the HP Fuel Pump on my Airflow Performance fuel system. As an aircraft engineer I know the value of keeping these pumps free from dirt and grit. I originally planned to place an Andair Gascolator in each wing root but it's not the ideal location due to limited space and this also requires complicated plumbing. Having maintained an RV-6 for many years I know how much fun it is keeping those old fuel selector valves serviceable and I just hate the smell of fuel in the cabin, so having any open fuel source inside was never going to happen for me. The Aerolab Gascolator solved all the problems in one hit. A single gascolator mounted inside, close to the fuel selector but inspected externally. No chance of fuel inside the cabin. Easy plumbing. Easy maintenance. No brainer.

As a point of interest - I actually considered placing an Aerolab gascolator inside each wing tank for a while. There seems little reason why you couldn't do this however it's a bit of an overkill, adds weight and adds cost - but I have no doubt somebody will have a justifiable reason for doing this one day.

As for the expressed concerns over the little red button...? You'd be better employed worrying about the possibility of a zombie apocalypse than whether or not this will affect your performance.

Mike

RV-10 Installation complete

I have been helping another builder here in Oz who has also chosen to install the Aerolab Gascolator/Filter in his RV-10.

_xG_k93DGup5Vd_EWhTdqhhKoVZJwywIhag7c4epzIGIYApxiP09JTqn8Dc3gpHlThQlIn5XdbUTEaMY8qfhAq0nR4vtmCyPG1rQz2YSJ4ekS_0Jmm6xfE7LgHhFEHCZT4wJZCYQqwsEE9_0_sR0deGUT3fdrYxaOOZUJnkDXYhocnsH65k9-i3GkAiiocengEaelyyfl-JhrYkJIwrwBms_omdQQeHf5cx7IlggnyFncYVGhMg943WtuqD4b0IbpUxj_yP84aU-fxkOjMRRl4JYfQZomiS_O8DH8GwGCyxC5n3W2TCYxgQu-RTxWtrSbW8h0z5DSbETVM8-JHFF0HH-KsFHK2HFvx_lphzf1pahHzsUFdexBe98xvzjg8mUpXNuoQwwthiGcV8fKdq8aZtYjuq-IRbtZeOLRuR-9VOCEokrDJpKlTR2V0BRKovSw0t7414i8NqWQQZ-Ymho4Md_xlRjKf3Oem58AmWwFUPBei_zg44CQhSE_dYy-GtGmhsG9hC9bZjMXgV87ctrw-Sh-LOYXKc7pq5x1DX8xQTMZFljbIdUOpiE36yXrDms9NVzQ2RtC4SlAZrrZFy6ZYkb5s5OqnO5HxgaKgY9pnx3cZ6CLYi-3aVv8xTrQN6BYKk2ry6ReV-625P9z-WYlCcT9WXTYuYFvxzKqYaJZDM=w894-h670-no

The installation in the RV-10 is very straight forward and Mike's previous post describes the installation very well. The stainless steel installation template is the key to making this install a non-event.

Accessing the fuel filter from outside the aircraft is going to make inspections and servicing a lot faster and easier.

k7KCQQTnKkL21DxuX943oGHSX00Gxcqw7Jxch6D8URC1NCLUUCpSgInhSzKiR5DgSATF4AQPZ7yUSoUO1GHa39YTZb64tKqeMVE1sb1_IAUKPznO8lbubdaC-3dP_Huay22RJ24HxBqWFruEUovZ89TZGc9wA76Eouiuc2Lit7I-Mp7erOeYuyu66AwXSplfPG9dhTlHp4xbPT8VOjleAmZ793ipm_M8rtHRDzs7Tm8E8TSe3VKqFtV2UL-R4BKp7W3S1-Miy1Lqef5EOuF2UqpxrWuoww97Jg1bIXL6iUxNaTE-ksGgn_Nc4tbY8gXSsGYs378UnE8NXELQqSa3h31V1FdE9FLe-Wv7nogfvmS2dR0LBIRBCB65TYsAS-WGNtIbUKo1xjjuwdb0HbqLHGnfXGz1GjsvPD9et62D691i-5LB6ZsnH9FewZkv-6xDDoH2pyjQQXI3cf-8nrv0dFSZqB471xMM9eJ0n-qrOME-FEnQ2mmYAkhkZmcN4mL9qcJhKujEeXNwM7Akp-HntZv8rnn3W37iXx6IPLt-cFrJPNs5nbDaY07oSGCkIuPr5d8LwFKvcDPc74W_Q-jqcXrtu2flkj94ruZcQ6ifIvM42vi9aIz3SfdIWM51sSa7hVHjUczihJ18hXFEGlsjJwK4VkS676p4IiTsM0r_poI=w894-h670-no

The install in the tunnel is very clean,I like the added benefit that with the Aerolab Filter installed,none of the fuel fittings will need to be disturbed and re-torqued on an annual basis as with the standard filter installation.

AvAnKTFHmH8qW9C66kK3K-P7iLP99Qm82mCkqOl6WQB9S6nwDI5oIZjLVJIqz6zoaR6FeqHz28S2JE3RGe3adg8-WWutXh04YUS9XjJOlllwVvM8-J3PSkEp7mJ-lCeGYfK-psdSy7EzeHvsyDEeWWGCO2CCzIxdAx64Sz7iy99xuOjvTRWZkaClMfiugBFp2AhcmDeiPZ4FiimeumTdpC_3WH2wUg4zbBnTSq_GGV0GxeKT4-SXrVx3jsTGNnIa6cePD7rrXDqnzgbGTzJik-rIwduMbfihPW1rsx1xytTuyC9RWKs1wnoPIQjlKip76SjrLTA1jYClsKnSZ7tpRWR9_rSVPGkbSff1G5aZsZlmjfJDLm6Kh5KoE6OfThw5L0GMOt6vj_seXMIJzlRR5JV3cxViNwl8dg3Rj5sjILi4CGUxNqeVTFKavnibwIiNHz9qf6kl9bFr73Xdlg0JVqSrfcYpndXfYVwT3ixr_vx1MfSg9Kj4x3OpeSpF2bQMaqEP7L5lxj3yMsMuW9v7HOfFJRcU9J2FxLStNgtKQLK5yn_G_Jq-3LymEjc8JAXADOFp-tSdQW77xBljPuy7xjnXM-HY-qF3JelVQRpCg9kx0FUvPPCg5kBYUdWhZfGjo93LeWkRGLo8GOTabybUlzmNkMxIHc59Y4Lq8qqTaFA=w503-h670-no

ZOI1DJUHw3vPp8Nv61WNPMy5_w5cgLDR31DKXosrSNkSc4ai0WNFBQ5EwXNqBuqE00O5rzpxVRx68bJYKjT1tys-ss2Z3uC0hE-ovIPCyyU0gn8Cb1VYyytQoH_E17lt3MgRDPqhb2Vgv6ICCzhkR9PMsW_fgbC_kptVgf-6T3RBpDUf1xTO1f8-rinwQnGPSYv4xjahsHf9-wFIISjx45JihxkcrBUUFboKsJx3lhapNS9WfccW7bGDaPr7m8Ay-SQeNdSeyBRzXytpxJqv-Rq4enHRdn1JL9wo77na7Zpw5d28bPulRn8rjLP8xWLfBrGCztKdm1g0MmPplmrKymaZhdk6UH5bnlQdRBJUMn_AuCIAwtugZZxtcHQZ-jnIbXtDpG_j7KJz7brqlE8oPuTv1u7G_Ekce-swyK965M9lj6GzFScq12_Tz3i0dOVzOdnJ6hckPIFR8NDiBVKczhbICFRA2FnT0xOkUM86s_bG7uHQQKMFalfDEb3xT0kix_mRKZbl9ztBOLiU1hSOWPNqFDRJVzXgL3Ydf_K_gs2jkHyC7D2qJy8K4ZEwv4hUJEwItMwYgYBzlOqcnzmUE0IYQn3BaRCUmTzyYl7MnrrJ0x0r3HL1ByO6YBB6yE-9Wi3GZzTxTGAb8K5paHRrZAiE4KOBR-n6nPVkuu43m5M=w503-h670-no

umQ6n8xXn0brY2SzN9Rkzopof1sizIjSYeJgzGpPcVyrN_pVds55_bMYHS07uvD4OXb1gq2i1aH6VszM_TJ0EmnBpO4QP4Fmdh541-SVKNVzdJnIPMt_TNlJYfzcGfDSBLx0SABT_VVdn6raQTu9PDnYe8YIxVH7Ix7vp0siPRu6czKxC5EIt0ylR8VmNPpgFILhO_6QjeYgqjM1Ca_WxO7_-xz_crBg2tImnD3WyHZdW2hcoEWLEZ4ChV5yGmgoc0hLUs0Z8V2tiuFdvvqf6bSE7H_QvUzp-GittDjO7EyyB-z9OVmiGuna5Hx8EhMr4D6uhRb0rnBIs21RZuLkRGvPp4Fqt9H0E1WlHuWxXZZiWLqk7eo09TCJaZHNIACxEx7b30UiFadCIVYRE_Aqds1pXPF1duk-LDWxhzfac2CRCderjb2p9IjB3mIwdGx9zFmTSbOKYzohhEJsVgtTW3vRztaWZFlFyxd_ixTP8C_RfumGsy-7e8ma4D_kwdvKreYWlcw7MjZ735vms5Gi5SYEmw2ocsKTG1KXunu2LBj3FeGq5onzclZkH-TqCrOTnA5zO-c622y7lkpeHL836NAJMro-bSdw7DQsUzK4-M_qcF1fgkMLpg5v-t8_5fXvTE7-6XRdTS4N_-Lahz4XiQqlHXztXmVpzirDBADSWbM=w503-h670-no

I would certainly like to replace the inline filter with a gascolator that can be checked during pre-flight.
There is no opportunity to fit this in the -14 tunnel with a firewall forward the only real option.
Has anyone installed one on the firewall and is there a bracket available to do so.
Obviously the cowl would need an access hole just big enough for a drain check.
Thanks

I would certainly like to replace the inline filter with a gascolator that can be checked during pre-flight.
There is no opportunity to fit this in the -14 tunnel with a firewall forward the only real option.
Has anyone installed one on the firewall and is there a bracket available to do so.
Thanks

As has been discussed, a gascolator located at any point other than the low point in a fuel system has no function other than as a fuel filter. While I understand some countries require one, there is no practical value for a gascolator over a fuel filter in a low wing aircraft - unless you mount it at the low point in each wing root - but that is why you have a tank sump.

Carl

The Aerolab gascolator/fuel filter system is designed to perform several functions. There seems to be several misleading opinions in this thread that need to be discussed:

1) It is primarily a fuel filter. No question about it. The 50micron pleated stainless filter provides good filtration and a generous surface area to do it. 50 micron gives about a 0.002" opening for a particle to pass.

2) it provides a gascolator function regardless of whether it is mounted at the lowest point on the aircraft, or on top of the vertical fin. The amount of water that it is capable of holding in its bowl is about 150ml or about 5 ounces (estimated). It will hold this water until you drain the sump, or fly inverted... just like every other gascolator.

3) the integral fuel sump allows for easy removal any water that accumulates in the bowl.

Given that it is serviceable without getting a drop of fuel inside your airplane, we feel that it has a great combination of attributes.

I hope this helps clear up any misleading comments made about these units.

Last edited:
The Aerolab gascolator/fuel filter system is designed to perform several functions. There seems to be several misleading opinions in this thread that need to be discussed:

1) It is primarily a fuel filter. No question about it. The 75 mesh pleated stainless filter provides good filtration and a generous surface area to do it. 75 mesh gives about a 0.008" opening for a particle to pass, or about 194 microns. Pretty small.

2) it provides a gascolator function regardless of whether it is mounted at the lowest point on the aircraft, or on top of the vertical fin. The amount of water that it is capable of holding in its bowl is about 150ml or about 5 ounces (estimated). It will hold this water until you drain the sump, or fly inverted... just like every other gascolator.

3) the integral fuel sump allows for easy removal any water that accumulates in the bowl.

Given that it is serviceable without getting a drop of fuel inside your airplane, we feel that it has a great combination of attributes.

I hope this helps clear up any misleading comments made about these units.

Please tell me how it collects water if not at the lowest point of the fuel system (as in water gravity flowing to the lowest point).? Does it mechanically separate the water from the fuel passing through it?

Carl

Carl,

For water or dirt to get from the fuel tank to the engine it must travel through the fuel line. When it reaches the bowl of the gascolator, the heavier water drops out of the stream and settles to the bottom of the bowl. The lighter fuel floats on top and exits the bowl and continues to the engine.

While the gascolator should ideally be at the lowest point of the fuel system, it will still collect water and dirt even when it isn't.

Just to point out one more time, the Aerolab filtering gascolator is primarily a belly (or wing root) mounted fuel filter that is also a gascolator, with an external sump, and is serviceable from the OUTSIDE of your aircraft so you don't spill fuel in the interior.

Last edited:
Thanks

While I can't comment on whether or not this would fit inside the RV-14 tunnel or cabin, this particular filter is probably not ideal for the forward side of the firewall due to a number factors. If you want a gascolator forward of the firewall I would suggest you might like to look at the ANDAIR units as these are smaller and easier to mount in that location. In respect to a firewall forward location, if you want further food for thought have a look at the gascolator installation on an old Piper Cherokee 140.

That said, I'd be surprised if you were unable to make these work for you at some location aft of the firewall on any of the Vans airframes. It's such a good idea I'm surprised nobody has thought of it before.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks Mike, the - 14 tunnel won't work for this unit and the fuel lines from the tanks are tight along the forward section of the spar so firewall forward looks like the only practical area. Be nice to ditch the filter out of the tunnel and make it a service point under the cowls. Plenty of time to consider options at this stage.

Vince,
I'm building the seven and am thinking of putting the Gascolator after the electric pump before it goes through the firewall. Vans sells an inline high pressure pump that's pretty slim that seems like a good fit but would have to have a custom tunnel built to cover everything in the center. Do you know of anyone that has installed it on a seven yet with good results?

Thanks

Maxrate,

Planenutz and Dustyone have some good comments earlier in this thread. I believe Planenutz installed his in an RV-6 and Dustyone in an RV-10.

Salto, as for installing the Aerolab ahead of the firewall, why would you do that? It's not designed for that. Just buy one that is.

However, if you want to install your filter/gascolator out of the hot engine compartment, then the Aerolab might just be the ticket. Yes, you may have to deviate from the plans (GASP!), but that is why this is EXPERIMENTAL aviation.

As far as tunnels... make your own. Here's my RV-6 project from a few years ago:

http://www.vincesrocket.com/1%20fileshare/fuel%20tunnel%201.jpg

http://www.vincesrocket.com/1%20fileshare/fuel%20tunnel%201.jpg

There's plenty of room between the pilot's and passenger's legs to put a dandy fuel line or wiring tunnel. Just do it.

I am installing one in the RV-4 and seriously considering one in the RV-6a as well to get the gasocolator off the firewall.

Very interesting product. I am planning my fuel system and thought of getting by with just an inline filter upstream of the boost pump. This gascolator looks to be an intersting alternative. I have two reservations, however. One is that I am not sure if this agascolator would be an adequate replacement for a filter. I understand it is recommended to have a filter with around 60 micron filtration rating for a fuel injected engine and this gascolator appears to have has a courser filter than that. Second, it?s a new product/design and I was wondering about possible failure modes. Are there any more pireps?

Very interesting product. I am planning my fuel system and thought of getting by with just an inline filter upstream of the boost pump. This gascolator looks to be an intersting alternative. I have two reservations, however. One is that I am not sure if this gascolator would be an adequate replacement for a filter. I understand it is recommended to have a filter with around 60 micron filtration rating for a fuel injected engine and this gascolator appears to have has a courser filter than that. Second, it’s a new product/design and I was wondering about possible failure modes. Are there any more pireps?

One well known fuel filtration unit has the following specs, taken from their website:

This a maintainable filter incorporating a 125 micron pleated stainless steel filter element...

Update 12-10-17: Interestingly, I received an email from the manufacturer yesterday. I was incorrect in the previously posted filter pore size (which I edited to be correct in those posts).
The Aerolab filtering gascolator has a 50 micron filter pore size, which converts to 0.002" size.

In my opinion, no additional, builder installed, finer filter should be needed.

Vince

Last edited:
One well known fuel filtration unit has the following specs, taken from their website:

This a maintainable filter incorporating a 125 micron pleated stainless steel filter element...

True, but I think they deem the 125 micron filter to be adequate to protect their boost pump, not necessarily sufficient for the entire system. The fuel injection system makers seem to want to see finer filtration.
Before I ran into this gascolator, my plan was to go with an Andair boost pump paired with their inline filter (60 micron, if I am not mistaken) and call it a day. But this gascolator is making me pause to see if using it would increase the safety margin of my planned fuel system.
So far, here is my take on it:
Benefits (compaired to an inline filter) ? (a) easy access for regular preflight water/contaminants check in the fuel system, (b) a barrier against getting water from the fuel tanks to the engine, (c) somewhat easier access for periodic filter cleaning.
Drawbacks (compaired to an inline filter) ? (a) more complex install, (b) weight, (c) level of filtration below what is spec-ed by FI manufactures, which would require an additional inline filter downstream of the gascolator (additional complexity/weight and fuel flow restriction)
Concerns ? new/unproven design/product with limited install base and track record.
So, I am trying to see ihow I can alleviate my concerns and address the drawbacks.

I flew happily behind their 125u filter for 10 years.

On my new plane, I plan to use the Aerolab, which has a 50 micron filter pore size.

Last edited:
For people who stumble on this thread, the latest information is that the Aerolab gascolator is rated at 50 micron.

Update 12-10-17: Interestingly, I received an email from the manufacturer yesterday. I was incorrect in the previously posted filter pore size (which I edited to be correct in those posts).
The Aerolab filtering gascolator has a 50 micron filter pore size, which converts to 0.002" size.

Interesting, you might get them to check their website which says it is a 50 mesh screen - which converts to 297 micron!

Hopefully this straightens things out...

Interesting, you might get them to check their website which says it is a 50 mesh screen - which converts to 297 micron!

I have touched base with Aerolab to point that out and have them update that for clarity.

Let's see if I can clear this up by paraphrasing a previous conversation with the Aerolab folks:

In fact our filter mesh is 50 ?m; when we were designing the specifics of our product, the research we did found the finest mesh on the fuel line chain is usually found in the final filter on the fuel injection metering unit (75 or 125 ?m, depending on the producer).

Since the servicing and inspection of those final filters is typically anything but easy, we established that a 50 ?m filter would be the best guarantee of total fuel system protection.

Just to put this filter mesh size question to bed once and for all, I took a filter to the biology lab at my university day job and put it under a microscope.

Using a known, accurate 2mm scale, which is readily available in any good microscopy lab, I measured the filter mesh.

The measurement from wire to wire was approximately 0.1mm, which is 0.0039".

Since a portion of the wire to wire dimension is wire, and not an opening, I estimated that the actual openings, aka mesh, aka pore size, were around 0.05mm, or about 0.002" which does indeed come out to a 50 micron filter size.

I hope this settles the question about how fine of a filter this unit contains.

Thanks,

Hey guys,

I'm planning on installing an Aerolab Gascolator/Filter in my RV7A (WIP).

Plan is to install after the fuel selector and before the boost pump.

I haven't really looked into boost pumps but I was going to go with standard Vans pump (minus the filter).

Seems like a no brainer to me. What am I missing? Will the install be a headache?

Cheers,

Dan

G?day Dan,

Just today my hangar mate and I finished up installing the AeroLab in his flying 9A. It worked out fine and I would not hesitate to say do it.

You have a big advantage over us in that you're still building. We had to install it in a finished airplane. The reason was that the existing gascolator on the front of the firewall suddenly started barfing fuel back into the cabin ? after 200+ hours of leak free service (go figure). It was a defective thread form on the gascolator inlet port, so we ended up changing everything except the pump. It wasn?t at all fun or even interesting to have to do all that work in front of the rudder pedals. Be grateful you won?t have that to look forward to.

We installed the new unit just forward of the tank selector valve, by far the best location. It is a bit of a reach to sump it, but doable. Since this plane has manual pitch trim, the new gascolator had to be offset to the right about 3/8? to avoid chafing the trim cable. Fair advice here: however you choose to cut the 2-1/2? hole in the floor, use a tool and a method that guarantees a clean, accurate cut. A cheapy hole saw and, or a slightly heavy-handed application could easily mutilate the fuselage floor. We bought a good one, made several practice runs on .040 scrap first, only then proceeded with appropriate trepidation. I cut it from underneath?plenty of room there.

I recall finding a couple errors in the instruction pamphlet. Read it carefully with appropriate skepticism.

There shouldn?t be any issue with using the stock boost pump. The original builder of this plane installed the FloScan transducer between the pump and the firewall bulkhead fitting. We changed the pass-thru location to avoid having a 90 degree elbow on the outlet port of the FloScan. Fabricating and installing the two very short fuel lines that set-up requires was by far the most difficult part, again, exacerbated by having to work in ?The Hole.? If doing it over, I would choose to mount the transducer forward of the firewall. The flow test passed with gushing colors.

Van?s sells a ?doghouse? tunnel cover assembly for the fuel injection option. We bought this and adapted it to the standard tunnel cover. A little bit of tinsmithery was brought to bear. Made it the more interesting.

I?d like to post photos. I opened a SmugMug account and loaded the pics, but cannot find the ?share? icon they say is right there beneath each picture. It is not. One of the nicest things about Heaven is that there won?t be any computers there.

I have just installed one of these into my RV 3 as part of the build and wondering what I might be missing too. Installation is straight forward and it's probably worthwhile to get the drilling template to save some time ( I made my own template). It could use a shim under the main body as it is slightly proud of the skin on the outside when screwed in.
The screening capability is very generous with a pleated filter and for a carbed engine is more than adequate.
The only thing I am not really happy with is the plunger fuel cut off (the red button) which also serves to lock and retain the gascolator cap/filter, whilst it is all very well made, accurate and clicks into place nicely it is quite a small indent and groove that retains it in place. If for any remote reason it pops out there will be no fuel... I am thinking about removing the plunger as the gascolator (my installation) is after the fuel selector anyway.
I am still some time away from running fuel through it but I think it will be good.

Yes, red cube instructions say after all pumps however in anticipation of limited space and access forward of the firewall I have put it here, if in the future accuracy is not acceptable I will move it.
5x0die.jpg
[/IMG]
o89vsj.jpg
[/IMG]

The only thing I am not really happy with is the plunger fuel cut off (the red button) which also serves to lock and retain the gascolator cap/filter, whilst it is all very well made, accurate and clicks into place nicely it is quite a small indent and groove that retains it in place. If for any remote reason it pops out there will be no fuel... I am thinking about removing the plunger as the gascolator (my installation) is after the fuel selector anyway.

I put this unit in the M2 almost a year ago, not long after they came out. I took mine apart, but if I rem correctly the plunger installs from the top under the dome cap. Theres no way it can come out the bottom of the unit as theres a shoulder that stops its downward travel. I think I rem there are orings in there as well, and if you remove the plunger, fuel will come out. Might want to check on that......

Had mine apart too, it's the small size of the shoulder that bothers me. Probably wrong to say remove the plunger, rather better (to say) satisfying myself that it will never ever compromise fuel delivery.

Danger !!

I also installed two Aerolab filter gascolator , F1 Rocket evo.
The shoulder is small but was tested for a lot of cycles, a lot more than the live of the plane if you open the filter 10 times pro year. The wear is little, the force and friction involved are very small.
The main function of the plunger is to avoid uncontrolled unscrew of the filter cap.
I strongly suggest leaving the plunger where it is.

Claudio

Any install pics RV7/9?

Hi all,
I would like to install the Aerolab Gascolator in my new build RV9. Does anyone have pictures of an install in a RV7 or RV9?

I plan an injected engine, so would not use the standrad filter, and place this between the selector and pump.

Thoughts?

Hi all,
I would like to install the Aerolab Gascolator in my new build RV9. Does anyone have pictures of an install in a RV7 or RV9?

I plan an injected engine, so would not use the standrad filter, and place this between the selector and pump.

Thoughts?

I have been waiting several months now for the gascolators to become available again. My last communication with the distributor is that they had to return the last batch for O ring replacement.🤔

Finally sorted out!

I have been waiting several months now for the gascolators to become available again. My last communication with the distributor is that they had to return the last batch for O ring replacement.🤔

I think I can shed a little light on the situation here. The question about the O-rings wasn't fully settled until the last few days, and as I was out of town over the long weekend and had my hands full with a few other projects, I haven't made time to get back around to my notification list for the gascolators. 100% my bad!

The short version of the story with the O-rings is that the folks over at Aerolab had upgraded one of the O-rings in the gascolator unit to a PTFE O-ring, which should have even greater chemical resistance than the Viton rings in the original units. The original Viton rings did not present a failure, I believe they were just looking to continually improve the product for a lifetime of use.

In any case, the PTFE rings are stiffer and turned out to be less reliable at properly sealing the parts, resulting in some of the units showing a leak. In every case that we tested (6 leaking units so far), switching back to the Viton O-rings fully solved the leak, and we (Aerolab and Flyboy) made the call to go back to the original tried-and-true Viton O-rings.

Just to be really clear... we're not doing anything new here, just going back to the configuration that we know works well. The machined parts have not changed from the original batches.

At present, we do have the Aerolab Filter/Gascolator units back up and available for purchase on our site here. Because this has been an issue, I will be testing each unit in our inventory for leaks with the Viton O-rings in place before sending these out.

There are a few folks that have the PTFE rings in their units, and I will be contacting those people and sending replacement Viton O-rings at no charge as soon as I can. If you previously got a filter unit from us and you're wondering if you're on that list, you can either check the color of the O-ring on the cap (the PTFE ones are orange), or check the purchase date of your unit (if you bought before July 2018, you don't have to worry about it).

As always, if anyone has any questions about this or I need to clarify anything, don't hesitate to get in touch!

Aerolab filter availability

Please let me thank Blake Frazier for having advanced my words.
At Aerolab Mfg, Inc. we put our best effort to develop the best possible fuel filter/gascolator and, believe me, investments were no small.

During a routine check over the first installed filter, in Claudio F1 EVO I-TERA, we realized that the residual elasticity of the main O Ring around the bottom cap, after about one and half year after installation, was not fully satisfactory, even if not leaks were shown.
After some research we tried a new PTFE + silicon O ring (custom made on our specs) but results were not completely satisfactory, in the sense that some where perfectly sealing, other (for some reason) not.
I admit we took quite a bath on this research, but at the end we decided the best way was to replace that specific O ring at the annual inspection (and not every five years as we expected before).
I apologize for the delay in releasing new filter to the community but first of all we had to solve this issue.
Blake Frazier at Flyboy Accessories will support your at the best.

Francesco
Aerolab Mfg, Inc.

RV-8 Aerolabs Fuel Filter Installation

Thought I would post a couple photos of my installation. I added a circular doubler to the belly skin. The unit installs from the inside, so the floor panel hole has to be big enough to clear the whole flange. you can see the two pre-punched holes in the floor panel that give you an idea of the location of the hole in the floor panel. I will add some foam around the hole to keep anything from falling in and being lost forever! Just have some packing paper stuffed in there now.
IMG-2206.jpg

IMG-2536.jpg

a little Visio pattern for the doubler layout and some scales showing the approximate location of the cutout.
IMG-2211.jpg

Last edited:
Back