What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RIP Chuck Yeager

His life defined service

His type will not pass this way again soon.

God speed General Yeager

In my library I have a 1979 copy of “The Right Stuff” which I read when it was first published. Interestingly, I finished “The Wrong Stuff” by LTC Truman J Smith published in 1996 today. They are a contrast in style and worth having on your shelf if you enjoy and admire the aviators of that era. I think the audience here can glean some insight into what it was like to be a 20 year old B-17 pilot with the 8th Air Force.

On December 7th of all days. A legend in our lifetime.

I met him on a few occasions. He was a hoot to talk to. I was doing the usual flyover coordination for the Indy 500 the year he drove the pace car. Got to talk and hang out with him for over an hour. One of my other pilot buds asked him "Why don't you have your own P-51?". He replied "Why would I? I can fly anyone I want just for the asking", which is true, when you think about it:).....

Attachments

• Chuck Yeager.jpg
    Chuck Yeager.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 188
I was fortunate enough to see him at an Air Force Dinning In in the early 80s. He was exceptional and expected ALL junior officers to act and be professional in all their activities. Definitely someone to admire!

Met him on a commercial flight home once. He led one amazing life.

Attachments

• IMG_1069.jpg
    IMG_1069.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 171
I first flew with General Yeager in 2003 when I owned 50% of the Husky you see him with. He was the first guy I flew as a passenger when I was a student pilot. Lots of great memories and I was lucky to have flown with him. Unbelievable life and he was great at remembering his stories from the past. His health was failing for the last several years and I missed seeing him at the airport. He was one of a kind. I am glad I took the pictures I have with him. He bough a Husky a few years ago and I think that was the only plane he ever owned but I could be wrong.

Back