What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel pressure test

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
i am testing fuel pressure on a fuel injected engine. a friend gave me a dial gauge he had used on a saab. the needle bounces so fast, i assume from the pulses of the pump it is impossible to get an accurate reading closer than within 5 psi. do i need a different gauge? is there some sort of ''buffer'' that needs to be in the line? any suggestions or recommendations of what has worked for you would be appreciated.

i am testing fuel pressure on a fuel injected engine. a friend gave me a dial gauge he had used on a saab. the needle bounces so fast, i assume from the pulses of the pump it is impossible to get an accurate reading closer than within 5 psi. do i need a different gauge? is there some sort of ''buffer'' that needs to be in the line? any suggestions or recommendations of what has worked for you would be appreciated.

You need an oil damped gauge.

Physics never lies

Make yourself a water manometer out of tygon tubing. Every 27.7 inches of water column is a psi. It will be self dampening and foolproof.

You might be able to make that gauge usable by installing a snubber in the line to the gauge. If that particular pump has large pulses, I would be worried about the damage over time to the pressure sensor too. I have snubbers for all of the pressure sensors on my 10.

https://www.mcmaster.com/pressure-gauge-snubbers

Wicked sorry

freemasm,it's fuel injected. 40psi

Sorry. I often don't read for detail as I should. Saw 5 psi on my quick read. I'd blame info overload but everyone is so subjected; I just happen to engage my fingers where others smart enough to be thorough beforehand. Anyway, I'm a big fan of manometers (water and otherwise) for low pressure checks. You never have to worry about calibration.

Back