What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Turboprop for RV 10

Sibirsky

Well Known Member
Greetings ,
I found an RV Kit that I am willing to purchase next week or so ,
I was wondering if there are any alternatives to the expensive PBS TP100 engine?
I appreciate your input and advice .
Regards
Toufik

I believe that the Lycoming IO-540 will work just fine, cost less and burn less fuel. Plus you can get an FWF kit from Van's.

Dave

The Lycoming IO540 or Continental IO550 would be the "standard" and a turboprop would be an "alternative". A very attractive one, in my opinion, but definitely an alternative.

same game

Same game being played. Engine is not available and only a promise of something in the 250-350 range...

You'd have a better chance with the Higgs engine...

Thank you all for the inputs , i am aware that the standard engine is the IO540 , when i looked at vans order sheet , it looked like it was around 53k ,
I’ve always wanted a turboprop , It is now stuck to my head , somehow i have to make it happen , when i searched online , the only close to reliable turbo-prop engine i could find was the PBS aero 240HP , and apparently there is already an RV10 that’s flying with this configuration ,
Today i found this company in Argentina , they have several models , even a 180HP turboprop ( for an RV6/7/ or 9 ) with a 9GPH consumption @ 75% power ,
It is very tempting , here is a link to their webpage :

https://www.papizturbine.com/Secciones/product-en.html#prometeo

My only concern at this point is reliability ( they say 3500hr TBO) and of course support if anything goes wrong .

I found this message from 2014
Im sure prices are higher ,

10-12-2014, 03:21 PM #5
Juan Papiz's Avatar Join Date
Oct 2014
Hi Ron,
1-the cost of each version is 25.000 u$d, 53.000 u$d and 78.000 u$d respectively
2-Weight and estimated consumption for ich version:

100hp: 60kg with 20lts/hr at cruice
180hp: 85kg with 38lts/hr at cruice
300hp: 120kg with 75lts/hr at cruice

3- becouse of the economical problems here we cant make a serial production but we manufacture custom so yes, you can buy them now with a delay of 40 days or 2 month
4-We already work with a local experimental propeller manufacturer and develop together a variable pich propeler in electronic and hidraulic sistem for my turbines but you can use what ever propeler in the market
5-we dont develop untill now a constant speed sistem for the propeler, only fix pich and variable pich electronic and hidraulic sistem.
Thank you for your interest and i hope like the answers and forgive my english

Juan

210hp

Originally Vans had a 210hp engine option. Continental IO-360 6 cylinder engine. As I understand it, that engine option wasn't very popular, so they dropped support. A 200hp turboprop, is probably quite comparable to a 210hp piston engine. It probably takes more than 10hp to overcome cooling drag that's absent with a turboprop!

Originally Vans had a 210hp engine option. Continental IO-360 6 cylinder engine. As I understand it, that engine option wasn't very popular, so they dropped support. A 200hp turboprop, is probably quite comparable to a 210hp piston engine. It probably takes more than 10hp to overcome cooling drag that's absent with a turboprop!

That 210hp is installed in their demonstrator that I used for my transition training back in March. Granted there were only two of us in the plane, I felt like it performed really well. We didnt do a cross country or load it up with people, but it seemed like there was certainly enough power there.

Do Your Homework

I wouldn’t dissuade anyone from building what they want, but as you take this journey be prepared for the challenge with insurance. Paul posted this great video in another thread: https://youtu.be/cVNqmE33NTU

Last edited:
Greetings ,
I found an RV Kit that I am willing to purchase next week or so ,
I was wondering if there are any alternatives to the expensive PBS TP100 engine?
I appreciate your input and advice .
Regards
Toufik

You should read the Kitplanes article on the turbine RV-10 very carefully.
https://www.kitplanes.com/turbine-powered-rv-10/

Compared to the standard Lycoming IO-540 the turbine is a much more expensive engine, much thirstier engine (climb and cruise) and thus less range, custom engine mount and cowling, no faster.

Not sure what the attraction is unless you just can't get Avgas or Mogas.

Last edited:
I’ve always wanted a turboprop , It is now stuck to my head , somehow i have to make it happen , when i searched online , the only close to reliable turbo-prop engine i could find was the PBS aero 240HP , and apparently there is already an RV10 that’s flying with this configuration ,

Hey man, if you want a turboprop, get a turboprop! A big reason to homebuild in the first place is to get what you want. Just make sure you do it for the right reasons. As others have pointed out you likely won't save money, increase performance, etc.... However you will be unique and jet engines are fun.

We looked at the PBS engine for an OEM project and it is very nice. PBS is the eastern bloc equivalent of Williams, in that they make a lot cruise missile engines and now high end drone engines. They've been around a while and know what they are doing. However the engine is expensive. It was over $100k I believe, didn't have a super high tbo, and overhauls weren't cheap either.

You might be able to find an older C18 Rolls for not a ton of money.

Back