What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for Builders in NW Montana or N Idaho

Montana Mike

I'm New Here
I am half way between Kalispell and Libby Mt. I do come equipped with a 182.
Would like to take to people thinking of or have started construction on RV 14
Tks

I’m in phase I testing of my RV-14 in western North Dakota. You don’t need to talk to anyone, you need to build this airplane. It’s so much fun. :)

looking to Fly the 14A

I’m in phase I testing of my RV-14 in western North Dakota. You don’t need to talk to anyone, you need to build this airplane. It’s so much fun. :)
I'm working on 14A and should have my engine mid July 2021 I have ordered the IO-390 exp 119 and Vetterman exhaust
I'm in Cody WY. Tell me about firewall forward from Van's
Cheers
John:)

I bounce between Austin TX and Livingston MT, originally from Powell and still have friends in Cody. Sounds like I need to meetup with the RV-14 builders in the area.

USN love to see your progress when I am back up in the fall since I regularly go to Cody. Although I stop at the Dollar with my friends when I am there.

I'm working on 14A and should have my engine mid July 2021 I have ordered the IO-390 exp 119 and Vetterman exhaust
I'm in Cody WY. Tell me about firewall forward from Van's
Cheers
John:)
The Van's firewall forward kit was very complete. I have the original IO-390 engine and stock exhaust and my plane is a taildragger. But presumably anything that is in the plans will be in the kit. I think I ended up ordering a plug for the fuel spider and a set of hoses from Aircraft Specialty to work with my Half Raven oil separator.

I suggest that you use a 1" 6-point socket to remove the oil filter from the engine and reinstall it yourself before you mount the engine on the plane. I got to my first oil change and had a very frustrating time getting the oil filter off. I think Lycoming had subcontracted Jiffy Lube to put it on. The 1" hex head rounded off, a screwdriver pounded through the filter broke off in the filter without budging it, etc. I ended up mangling it with a giant channel lock pliers. Even if I had to mangle the filter before installing the engine, at least I would have had better access and no oil in it at that time.

I bounce between Austin TX and Livingston MT, originally from Powell and still have friends in Cody. Sounds like I need to meetup with the RV-14 builders in the area.

USN love to see your progress when I am back up in the fall since I regularly go to Cody. Although I stop at the Dollar with my friends when I am there.
I hope you will stop in and visit. I'm the only small green hangar on Hangar row in Cody.
Call 307-250-4425 and lets see if we can meet. Cheers John B

The Van's firewall forward kit was very complete. I have the original IO-390 engine and stock exhaust and my plane is a taildragger. But presumably anything that is in the plans will be in the kit. I think I ended up ordering a plug for the fuel spider and a set of hoses from Aircraft Specialty to work with my Half Raven oil separator.

I suggest that you use a 1" 6-point socket to remove the oil filter from the engine and reinstall it yourself before you mount the engine on the plane. I got to my first oil change and had a very frustrating time getting the oil filter off. I think Lycoming had subcontracted Jiffy Lube to put it on. The 1" hex head rounded off, a screwdriver pounded through the filter broke off in the filter without budging it, etc. I ended up mangling it with a giant channel lock pliers. Even if I had to mangle the filter before installing the engine, at least I would have had better access and no oil in it at that time.
Super, I have an Air Wolf remote oil filter and hoses from AS. The engine gets delivered about this time next month.

Well, spent Monday at Vans and got to fly the 14 A and so did my wife. We wrote them a check so the adventure starts. I will be in touch with some of you as time allows. I am on Hughsnet so internet access is iffy at times.

Fantastic aircraft to fly. One of the surprises was the long lead time for the kits which is why we decided to go ahead now. Have to start on an equipment list and the plan is fully IFR.

Thanks for the responses. Home is MT53 3500 ' paved but it is narrow. Our place is the one in the middle of the runway. Or you can drive to Carson Field. Be aware we are an active skydiving airport.

Will post when I have am approximate date for the empennage kit.

I ordered my QB Wings and Fuselage and due to long lead times. The EMP is not as bad. As it stands now I plenty of time building Emp while I wait for QB's.

Trying to decided what I want to get on order next. So things come in as build progresses. Engine + Prop, Avionics/Panel, FWF & Finishing.

Having all shipped to KLVM area or I may pick up at mothership. Think the QB's will fit on Snowmobile trailer.

Back