What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel !!!!!

dsc00562aq7.jpg

Here it is, simple, cheap, and light, and with the Help from Steinair, the panel was laser cut, and I think Stein helped me to come up with a nice layout, not too blank, not too cluttered.

Last edited:
Since I have most of my panel wired up, I took a current status shot last night:
IMG_1699.jpg

Main things missing are:
- the two AF-3400 screens. Still waiting for them to ship. Using paper cutouts for now.
- the GNS-430. Waiting for the WAAS version to become available.

I found my original post in this thread from almost a year ago:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=22894&postcount=74

The only things that have remained the same are the audio panel, radio, and transponder!

Hey Dave.

I've heard that buying the 430 now then sending it in for the WAAS upgrade is going to be cheaper than waiting for the WAAS version to become available. Have you heard any of this?

Nice panel, BTW.

Thats only if you got the reservation for the WAAS upgrade in early on. It would probably be the same now. Just get a 480, it'll be cheaper, and you have WAAS, duplexing Comm's and Navs, and a 5hz refresh rate today.

Jamie said:
I've heard that buying the 430 now then sending it in for the WAAS upgrade is going to be cheaper than waiting for the WAAS version to become available. Have you heard any of this?
As far as I know, the price on the 430W hasn't been announced yet. I doubt it will be cheaper to buy the 430 now and upgrade. I think Stephen's right. They were offering a deal on the upgrades early on, but I think they've since hiked up the price a bit. I'm committed to the 430 now with the tray installed and wired.

Another 7a panel

I got this panel powered up for the first time last week .

p9290005wz5.jpg

The open chassis in the radio stack will have a 530 someday. The 2.25 instruments are compass on upper left, then left to right airspeed, TT turn and bank, altimeter and TT autopilot. The panel is an Affordable Panel modular and is 1 inch larger.

Tom Lewis
Granbury, Tx

RV-6 Panel

Jconard; I just saw you posting. I have the RV-6 with the red inserts. I have just redune this panel. If you would like some pictures of the new panel you can get ahold of me Richard Stevens, 936-443-7662 or [email protected]

RV-9A Panel

Here is how mine turned out. Seems to work just fine.

I have weather, terrain, traffic, and 2 axis autopilot, and Dynon EMS. Compass is a flux gate electronic I picked up cheap on E-bay. Sensor is in the tail. SL-40 and the 396 are a great combo - 396 automagically loads frequencies to the SL-40.

2ndflight004li6.jpg

Dick, Quite nice indeed!

Tell me about the drop down fuse blocks. Even better, can you post some more pics detailing the install?

Very nice functionality! I may implement it as well!

:) CJ

John,

Here are a couple of shots of the fuse panel.

This one is for the passengers seat looking forward.

This is looking from the firewall towards the tail. The hinge is attached to the subpanel.

Panel painted this week!!

I finished wiring our RV7a panel this week and got the panel painted this week:

pb12001946ov7.jpg

The panel is an Affordable Panel modular XL panel. The wiring harness is an Approach hub and cables to connect everything together. The 530 picture will get replaced with a real unit in Q1.

Moving on to the next step.

Tom Lewis
Granbury, Tx

Last edited:
RV969WF Panel

Here it is: :) Garmin 396, Garmin 295, 2 each ICOM IC-A200 Radios, Bendix/King KT76A, Digitrak 2 Axis Autopilot, Vision Microsytems, Air/Fuel Ratio, Monroy Traffic Detection, Kenwood-Serius X/M Radio/CD. Sigtronics Intercom and BOSE Headsets. Woosh.. Dash if done in Flekstone paint. :D AJ

dsc07604jp2.jpg

dsc07599au3.jpg

dsc07610cw0.jpg

tommylewis said:
I finished wiring our RV7a panel this week and got the panel painted this week:
Tom Lewis
Granbury, Tx

Tom, it looks like your panel might be a bit deeper than standard....how much did you add.

Hey Dick,

Hi Dick,
I'll be in Orlando the first week of Dec for the Nat'l Ag Aviation convention, flying the 6A to Kissimmee. Which airport are you located at?
I'd love to meet you and see the airplane. We're gonna be at Shingle Creek.
Regards,

The panel is installed for the last time (I hope):
IMG_2095.jpg

Still waiting on the glass panels from Advanced Flight and the GNS-430W GPS from Garmin.

N112B Old BMA and New Dynon Panel

N112B, Old Blue Mountain Panel. (Remove Before Flight) :mad:

n112bbmapanelyr7.jpg

N112B, Current Dynon Panel. (Works great, everybody loves it). :cool:

n112bdynonpaneluk4.jpg

You Got A Lotta Attitude

You got a lotta attitude. :D

Get it?

Looks great, can't wait until I am working on my panel.

Joe Hutchison
RV-10
Tailkit

Bob,

It looks like you not only took out the Blue Mountain (why?) but there was also some sort of radio/CD player that is not in the new panel. Is that temporary or was there a problem with that as well? Can you give us a review of each?

Thanks,
Nick
RV-10 Fuselage (40015)

You have to trust your equipment!

attackpilot said:
You got a lotta attitude. :D

Get it?

Looks great, can't wait until I am working on my panel.

Joe Hutchison
RV-10
Tailkit
Yes, Joe. Multiple choices for "Attitude" between the Dynon and the Trutrak. Lots of back-up too. I just don't want to be put in a situation again where I lose all trust and confidence in my flight instrumentation!

Nick Leonard said:
Bob,

It looks like you not only took out the Blue Mountain (why?) but there was also some sort of radio/CD player that is not in the new panel. Is that temporary or was there a problem with that as well? Can you give us a review of each?

Thanks,
Nick
RV-10 Fuselage (40015)
Nick - The panel was redone about the time the Garmin 396 was introduced so I removed the XM receiver and CD player and bought the Garmin 396. It's plumbed in to the audio panel. I can live without CD since I have XM. As for the removal of the BMA E/1. Ask around!

Regards!

Last edited:
Santa was here...

I've been waiting until I had most of the panel components before sticking a photo out here but Santa delivered my GRT displays via DHL today and they were promptly temp-fitted to the panel. Ca-chow (anyone with a little boy understands that one)! This is seriously motivational right now.

Eventually, the panel will be powdercoated to match the rest of the interior but I think I'll finish off the wiring first; lots to do this winter for sure.

I did segregate the switches on the panel. The left-most are starter and EI, under the stand-by instruments are Main, AUX ALT, and E-Buss, under the radio stack are the systems switches, and finally, to the right side are the lighting. Avionics are PS 8000B, 480, SL30 and a 327.

PC260074.JPG

Tall Panel

Jim,
Your setup is what I am looking to do with the 2 GRTs stacked in my 7A. Where did you get your panel cut? Did you just and an inch to the bottom?

Added 1"

Yes, I added 1" to the bottom of the panel and extended the lower corners to include the cutouts for the vents. Not sure if I'd go with that option again. Getting the panel out is a trick. Otherwise, the 1" works well. I did have Ross at ExperimentalAir do the cutting and it turned out well. So far, the only holes that were off were the holes for the EIS (about 1/2 hole diameter).

Jim

Starting cutting panel

happy new year!!! everybody :)

This is our panel on 1st JAnuari 2007, we have started cutting the panel with the new year. There is a VFR panel with a G3 EFIS from BMA, on center top and the VM1000C as the EMS in the bottom, the analog gauges are for altitude, vertical speed, anemometer and G-meter, in the center section: SL30, GTX327 and the new european garmin 496 without the WX but with the necesary VRP in Europe.

01-02-2007%20001.jpg

Great flights !!!

Josep Ma,
[email protected]
www.telefonica.net/web2/rv7e

Last edited:
Looks great Josep. I really like the drop down you made to accomodate the two screens. Wish I was that far along.

I have a dumb question, why do some panels have the announicator lights and some dont? when are they desired/required and what operations to they commonly represent?

Last edited:
Dynon EFIS Addtion

Always had a spot for it, just needed to find a used one for a good price.

TAS, winds aloft, and an HSI....

newpanel006hk2.jpg

Picture 2 of 3

My -7 panel is coming along. This is the second of three status pics and the third will show the whole thing done. There's some configuration setting that needs to be done, but almost everything on the panel is working! Looks like my plan to start the engine in late March is going to work.

P2240107.JPG

To follow up on Jim's post with a side-by-side variation :) This is dual GRT Sport talking to SL-40 and GTX-327.. and there's an AOA to the left of the screens.

Not quite done... but getting there. Just a few small things left to do.

panel-777ty.jpg

Another GRT panel

So long as everybody is posting GRT panels, here's mine. Yeah, the screen on the right is a DVD player and it's playing the promo video for Velocity aircraft at the time of this photo.
img1896oj1.jpg

Paul Kendrick
aka Mr Blob
N143JL reserved
RV7 Egg H6 (running)

Jim P.,
Hi! Great looking panel. Looking at your web site I see you have a tilt (so do I)
Question -- did you move the LH F-645 inst.panel brace to clear your displays or did you cut out material to clear ?? Also how do you like the deeper panel -- any problem with leg room ? was it from Van's or a third party ?
Thanks and good luck
Bob

-7 Panel

Hi Bob,

Yup, I moved the LH F645 over about 2 inches. No problem. Cut it off at the sub panel and move it. I used a short piece of .063 angle to attach it back to the sub panel. The deeper panel works well, it's only 1" deeper and shouldn't impact leg room. I had it done by Ross at Experimantal Air and he seemed to do a good job. It took a while, but the instrument cutouts are generally very good.

Jim

To: Paul kendrick

Hi Paul,

Nice panel!!!

I notice the stuff on the center floor. Are these fuel filters? Can you explain your fuel setup and show a more detailed picture?

I am working now on the electric fuel pump installation.

Thanks,

Carl Nank

Carl,

Paul's fuel setup is for the Eggenfellner H6 Subaru. Those are the main and aux fuel pumps as they are to be installed per the manual.

I'm sure Paul can elaborate a bit more, and with more pics, but that's a quick answer for ya!

FuelPumpsVer2.jpg

FuelSystemBlockDiagram.gif

:)

cbnank said:
I notice the stuff on the center floor. Are these fuel filters? Can you explain your fuel setup and show a more detailed picture?
Unless I miss my guess, those are the two fuel pumps for an Eggenfellner Subaru installation. The heater core at the front gives it away. :)

mcb

Ron:

A humble suggestion: Do away with the PAV thingy and save yourself a grunch of cash. Use an MP3 player instead. No bundle of CD's to lug around, bounce around during rolls, melt in the greenhouse or have stolen. You can have your complete music collection on 1 small player. You can wire a remote plug into the back of the PMA-8000B or use the front face plug. At the speeds these things fly, you will be in and out of AM and FM ranges quite freguently.

Go satelite radio or MP3.

$200 can get you a multi Gb flash memory player.

Are those Dynon or GRT displays? If GRT, you can wire your trims into an aux channel and remove the trim indicator from your panel.

Jekyll

RV-7 panel

Jekyll said:
Ron:

A humble suggestion: Do away with the PAV thingy and save yourself a grunch of cash. Use an MP3 player instead. No bundle of CD's to lug around, bounce around during rolls, melt in the greenhouse or have stolen. You can have your complete music collection on 1 small player. You can wire a remote plug into the back of the PMA-8000B or use the front face plug. At the speeds these things fly, you will be in and out of AM and FM ranges quite freguently.

Go satelite radio or MP3.

$200 can get you a multi Gb flash memory player.

Are those Dynon or GRT displays? If GRT, you can wire your trims into an aux channel and remove the trim indicator from your panel.

Jekyll
Thanks Jekyll, I just put that in there 'cause it was in epanelbuilder. I will probably go with a standard car radio/CD/XM radio such as Alpine. Looking at Dynon right now, but open to other displays.

Car stereo with XM tuner built in

I have a separate XM tuner connected to the car stereo in my boat and wanted XM for my RV-8A too. Great for boating on those remote lakes. I purchased an ALPINE CDA-9820XM XM/CD stereo receiver from Crutchfield's for $250. Don't know of any other car stereo with the XM tuner built in. The TerkXMicro2 XM antenna is a $30 extra but it's VERY small. I should be able to mount it on my "dash" without any problems. I will have the Alpine connected into my Sigtronics Sport200S stereo intercom. The Alpine CDA-9820XM unit was discontinued by Alpine and Crutchfield seems to be the only place left to get one new. You need to but an additional adapter (another $30) to connect the Alpine to your Ipod. I have a promo code to get you $20 off the Alpine if anyone's interested.
Just after the proposed merger between XM and Sirius was announced, I received notice from XM that all the current tuners will continue to work if the merger is approved. Hope so!

Al Thomas
RV-8A
N880AT
Finishing Kit

Al, great minds are thinking alike! I can use the promo code if you want to PM me. I was looking at the same thing at Crutchfield.
Thanks.

Ok, so it isn't an RV7, but it is a low wing, 2 seater :)... I'm in the middle of an upgrade from a breaker, switch type layout to a Vertical Power layout (www.verticalpower.com). My before and after panel (was just about ready to wire the before, before I changed) are at legacyair.blogspot.com. Check it out if you like.

Back