What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

#27 Dimple Die?

Oh wow. I DO have dimple dies for a #6 screw! I just didnt do the cross-reference, drill size to screw size. Chalk this up to me being a newbie!
Thanks Bob for the tip.
Chuck

Dimple die sizes

Chuck,

Below is a copy of a post from one of the Vans support people. Maybe Scott or Joe made the post many months ago? I saved it to a file and lost the date and name.

The actual size number of a screw has no direct correlation to the size number of the hole.

For a # 6 screw we typically use a #27 hole.
For a # 8 screw we typically use a # 19 hole.
For a #10 screw we use a # 12 hole (which is the same as what is used for an AN3 bolt BTW).
The fact that for that size screw, the numbers just happen to be close together is probably what threw you off.
The number value labeled on countersink cutters is always the size hole the pilot will fit (#40 countersink, for a # 40 hole for a 3/32 size rivet), not the size fastener it is used for.

Additional note: when you get into larger dimples the DRDT or other squeeze type dimples are not as crisp as the C-Frame. If you choose to squeeze try squeezing several time to get a crisper dimple.

Last edited:
Back