What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimple in the middle of F-01484

jswareiv

Well Known Member
Does anyone know of a good way to get this dimple in the middle of the Center Bottom Skin? I was able to reach all of the holes on my DRDT-2, except this one in the center. It's 23 1/4" from each side edge and further from the ends. The throat on the DRDT-2 is 22 1/4". Thanks.

24fiao7.jpg

I've dimpled a hole or two in really tight spaces (narrow end of flap/aileron ribs) or middles of panels by taking a small block of steel (or a bucking bar you don't use often) and drilling a shallow hole in it. Then countersink the hole about the same as a dimple. Use this block like the female die, and either (carefully!!!) use the male die plus your rivet gun and a flat set, or put a rivet in the hole, and slowly dimple it with light to moderate controlled hits.

I have been told (with no confirmation) that this is basically how Van did the dimpling on the first RV-3.

drill a hole the same size as the shank of your dimple die in something heavy. The side of a seldom used bucking bar, for example. Mount female die in this hole and have a helper hold it in place while you tap the male die from the other side.
This is in a very obvious location and you want it to look right. Take your time, and do a number of small taps, comparing each tap to the dimples on either side. You want it to look like the other dimples.

Dimple

You need one of these.

http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=4500

Make sure to turn the pressure way down on the rivet gun or you will destroy the skin.

Thanks, I have one of those, however, I was a little nervous about using it since the skin would not be supported on top of that bar very well. I have some scrap that I have messed up, so I will try it. I also have the pop rivet nails too, so if the bar doesn't work, I'll try the nail. Another builder said he was able to reach it. We tried holding it at different angles and couldn't figure it out. Lots of good advice, thanks.

Try lifting the back of the sheet up into the upper corner of the DRDT-2 throat. The angle alone will give you a little more and you should be able to slightly curve the sheet. You should be able to get almost another 1/4 inch if that is enough.

Try lifting the back of the sheet up into the upper corner of the DRDT-2 throat. The angle alone will give you a little more and you should be able to slightly curve the sheet. You should be able to get almost another 1/4 inch if that is enough.

This is how the prototypes were dimpled
They were dimpled using the same C-frame tool currently available from Avery Tools. It has a throat depth of 22". The reach to that hole is 22 9/16"

If you hole the skin slightly at the back of the throat of tool, you can easily use up the excess material and get the dies aligned with the hole (it might be good to have a helper though we have done it solo).

Stoney, I just did mine two days ago with my DRDT. I just rolled up the skin a bit in the DRDT toward the upper corner inside the throat and I was able to dimple that hole. ( I must be in a time delay area, as four post were added while I typed two lines and posted my original reply)

Last edited:
Dimple

Stoney, I just did mine two days ago with my DRDT. I just rolled up the skin a bit in the DRDT toward the upper corner inside the throat and I was able to dimple that hole.

Great, will do it that way. Thanks everyone.

Old Pictures no longer work so adding new pics for the Wiki

Avail in 2 sizes at Aircraft spruce and Skygeek.

BTW I have used this guy so many times now I have had to get a new batch of nails at the Aviation section of Lowes. Long story short good tool to have.

Attachments

• Pop rivet dimpler.png
    Pop rivet dimpler.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Back