What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 canopy question

on page 38-03 it says drill the canopy first with a 40# drill bit, than later #36 than again #27. where do you find these drill bits made for drilling Plexi?
lost in Cypress.

Jim.

I got mine from here: https://www.abbeon.com/

Item numbers WDN144 (#27), WDN106 (#36), and WDN098 (#40).

Some people say to dull a regular point drill bit by drilling into concrete or something like that. So if you can't get a plexi point bit, there are alternatives. Search the forums and you'll find several threads with lots of ideas.

Lexan, polycarbonite and plastic

Best to use a 90 degree drill point for Lexan, polycarbonite or any brittle plastic. The up sizing of holes is to help with centering small hole and chipping/cracking. Temperature also affects hard plastics. The hotter the temp the less likely of fracture.

FYI most common drills are 118, 135 and 140 degree drill points.

Permagrit countersink bits

I used Permagrit tool to countersink the screw holes (https://www.permagrit.com/kt2/)

Those look interesting...what is the advantage of using the Permagrit tool vs. a conventional countersink bit? I have used conventional countersink bits on plexiglass (canopy & landing light covers) and they seem to work fine. They also work fine--for a while--on fiberglass parts, but get dull quickly. I notice the Permagrit countersink is advertised as being good for composites...are they are less prone to getting dull when cutting into carbon or glass fibers? If so they would be worth investing in for countersinking wingtips, empennage fairings, cowl, wheel pants, etc.

Those look interesting...what is the advantage of using the Permagrit tool vs. a conventional countersink bit? I have used conventional countersink bits on plexiglass (canopy & landing light covers) and they seem to work fine. They also work fine--for a while--on fiberglass parts, but get dull quickly. I notice the Permagrit countersink is advertised as being good for composites...are they are less prone to getting dull when cutting into carbon or glass fibers? If so they would be worth investing in for countersinking wingtips, empennage fairings, cowl, wheel pants, etc.

It was recommended to me before I started on plexi so. I think the main advantage is pretty much zero risk of cracking, plus they wear very well.

Back