Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-20-2021, 11:10 PM

Default Boost pump install options

Hey All,

I'm at the point where they systems are starting to come together and I've elected to go with the EFII fuel boost pump.

The plumbing for this is much simpler than the Vans unit, and looking at the system requirements, I can configure this in several different ways.

-Filter on top of pump with doghouse cover similar to vans configuration?

-filter & pump in a line down low on the tunnel (allows for maybe cupholders on top but raises the tunnel maybe 2" and extends further fwd?

Filter in each wing root, allowing for a nice small installation in the tunnel area?

For those who have gone this route, I'd love to see pictures and opinions on how your choice worked out, especially the filter in the wing root solution. I like the idea of one clogged filter not taking out the whole fuel system plus not having to pull the filter out of the cabin at annual, and I know it's been done, but it seems like there isn't much room in the wing root. Where exactly did you put them and how much hassle is it to access them there?
Fuselage in process
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Old 07-21-2021, 01:20 AM

Terry,

I have the EFII boost pump and I managed to get it all under the doghouse with a post filter. I didn't want to have to extend the cover forward. It did take a little work to get it all to fit. I also have wing root pre-filters. It isn't to the operational stage yet though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel_pump_and_lines.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	13865  Click image for larger version

Name:	right_fuel_filter_1.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	13866  Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel_pump_mounting.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	13867  
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 07-21-2021, 03:18 AM

I'm a fan of pair of filters so that you have the ability to switch over to the other should one ever become plugged for some reason. I have Andair gascolators/filters mounted in each wing root. It also reduces the chance of filling the cockpit with fumes if you spill anything when changing, although that said, a leak inside the wing root is quickly smelt in the cockpit anyway, so not a big win there.

If you can save the space on top of the pump location, that is a good thing, as you will be looking for somewhere to mount your fire-extinguisher (I have mine on top of the Andair filter cover I built).

The other thing to watch is the heat inside the enclosed filter/pump housing at floor level. I have 1/16" fiberfrax insulation and a titanium belly skin to try and limit heat from the exhaust. You want to keep your fuel as cool as possible, especially if you plan on running mogas, to limit the chances of vapor lock.

Tom
RV-7
Old 07-21-2021, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmillso View Post
I'm a fan of pair of filters so that you have the ability to switch over to the other should one ever become plugged for some reason. I have Andair gascolators/filters mounted in each wing root. It also reduces the chance of filling the cockpit with fumes if you spill anything when changing, although that said, a leak inside the wing root is quickly smelt in the cockpit anyway, so not a big win there.

If you can save the space on top of the pump location, that is a good thing, as you will be looking for somewhere to mount your fire-extinguisher (I have mine on top of the Andair filter cover I built).

The other thing to watch is the heat inside the enclosed filter/pump housing at floor level. I have 1/16" fiberfrax insulation and a titanium belly skin to try and limit heat from the exhaust. You want to keep your fuel as cool as possible, especially if you plan on running mogas, to limit the chances of vapor lock.

Tom
RV-7
I really like the ideal of the Andair gascolators/filters in the wing root. Any chance you could post a pic of your install?
RV8 - The Project #83313 - Under Construction
Old 07-21-2021, 06:44 AM

I'd sure like to see pix of the way you guys installed filters or gascolators in the wing root.

I've heard of people doing this, and would definitely go this route for all the reasons you mentioned, but it doesn't seem like there's much room to spare in the wing root. Especially if you have the fuel outlet from the tank coming through the aft location (which I do) vs. the flop tube location.
Fuselage in process
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=

Last edited by Desert Rat : 07-21-2021 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:28 AM

I'm by no means the first person to do this, so I can't take credit for any of it. It's really common in Canada where they have to install gascolators.

Here are a couple of pics I found, some during my build, and others elsewhere off the internet back when I was planning things. I had Tom from TS Flightlines make up the flex lines for me. The main thing to watch is making sure you have things positioned perfectly in a vertical sense so that the drain point is right where it needs to be with regard to your wing root fairing.
Removing the filter isn't too bad, but it does mean you have to take the wing root fairing off (which you need to do at annuals anyway). Access is ok, but not super easy putting the lockwire on after you've re-installed the filter bowl. Make sure you get a few spare o-rings for the fuel bowl incase you screw any up. Nothing worse than having your aircraft down for a single o-ring. The biggest downside is that if you have a leaking drain on the gascolator, you will smell it in the cockpit. I had some small paper towel fibers (that evidently were from my fuel tank build) get trapped in my fuel drain valve attached to the bottom of the bowl and provide a super slow leak path. You know about it, because the moment you open the canopy after a week of inaction, it smells of fuel. The drips at the bottom of the drain seem to get sucked back up into the hole you put in the wing root fairing once you start the aircraft. I've flushed the tanks a few more times, and they all now seem to have gone. Is it the ultimate solution? No, probably not, but when I weight up the pro's and cons of all the other options, it'd likely do it again.
Tom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	andair wingroot gascolator.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	13871  Click image for larger version

Name:	wing root gascolator dimensions.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	13872  Click image for larger version

Name:	wing root gascolator hose shape.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	13873  
Old 07-21-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernliving View Post
I really like the ideal of the Andair gascolators/filters in the wing root. Any chance you could post a pic of your install?
No FI here but even the Facet boost pumps for carb installations require a 74 micron filter on the inlet. I installed AN6 in-line filters from Summit Racing in the wing roots of both my 7 and 4. I also didn't like the idea of having to disassemble to clean the filters in the cabin. It is tight but doable. The 4 is much tighter than the 7 at the root so I used SS flex line to allow some movement for removal. In the 7 I was able to use hard line and it is no problem removing for cleaning. As long as your caps are sealing and you tape up the vent very little fuel will leak when you remove the filter so no need to have the tanks MT. Will see if I have any photos.
RV7 - Built in 6.5 yrs & Flying 2017
RV4 - Built 2021 Time flown and Sold
Old 07-21-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7 To Go View Post
No FI here but even the Facet boost pumps for carb installations require a 74 micron filter on the inlet. I installed AN6 in-line filters from Summit Racing in the wing roots of both my 7 and 4. I also didn't like the idea of having to disassemble to clean the filters in the cabin. It is tight but doable. The 4 is much tighter than the 7 at the root so I used SS flex line to allow some movement for removal. In the 7 I was able to use hard line and it is no problem removing for cleaning. As long as your caps are sealing and you tape up the vent very little fuel will leak when you remove the filter so no need to have the tanks MT. Will see if I have any photos.
That's a good point. I just changed to FI so am using the AFP 40 Micron filter. The Andair Gascolator is rated at 70 microns. Would be nice if they were available with a 40 micron filter.
RV8 - The Project #83313 - Under Construction