What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Product Announcement: GTN 650Xi & GTN 750Xi Series IFR Navigators (1/6/2020)

GTN Current Draw

Is that also true for the 750 vs 750xi?
I'm confused that this Garmin page says the Xi draws less current, but you're saying that's not true:
https://support.garmin.com/en-IN/?faq=KJyG9T0bzF6GMpPLnQUQZ9

So what are the typical and peak currents for the 750xi?

Thanks

The typical current draw is exactly the same for both the GTN 750 and GTN 750 Xi. All values for maximum current draw are the same as well with the exception of the NAV connector. Maximum current draw for the NAV connector is 1.16A for the GTN 750 and 0.90A for the GTN 750 Xi.

Thanks,

Justin

Upgrading from GTN 650 to 650Xi and connecting to (new) dual G5s, I have a couple of questions about the RS 232 and ARINC 429 connections.

The install manuals say to use the MAPMX RS 232 protocol, but is it acceptable to use the AVIATION protocol instead? I already have JPI 830, GMA 350, GTX 330 and FS 210, so the only available GPS data output to the G5 is by splicing into the output to the JPI. It seems to work, but it?s not strictly by the book.

The other issue is that when all set up per the IM for VNAV, the ARINC connections drop out intermittently after a few minutes flying. But when set up for VCALC, it all seems rock solid. Maybe I?ll have to settle for no VNAV - unless anyone has an idea...

Are the connector kits and configuration module between the original GTNs and the new GTN xi versions exactly the same? I think the answer is "yes" but don't like surprises.

I have a GTN 750 new in the box but the connector kit (p/n 011-02326-02 ) has already been installed on a pre-made harness with the configuration module. I have a new GTN 750xi on the way to put in this same airplane the harness was made for but I am sending the original GTN 750 off to another airplane. My intent to is to send the connector kit in the box with the new GTN 750xi unit off with the original GTN 750 with the expectation that there is no difference between the connectors and config module.

I could answer this question if I had the installation manual for the new GTNxi series but I only have the manual for the legacy GTNs. So is the connector kit (p/n 011-02326-02) the same or effectively the same for the old/new units?

Thanks.

GTN Connector Kit

Are the connector kits and configuration module between the original GTNs and the new GTN xi versions exactly the same? I think the answer is "yes" but don't like surprises.

I have a GTN 750 new in the box but the connector kit (p/n 011-02326-02 ) has already been installed on a pre-made harness with the configuration module. I have a new GTN 750xi on the way to put in this same airplane the harness was made for but I am sending the original GTN 750 off to another airplane. My intent to is to send the connector kit in the box with the new GTN 750xi unit off with the original GTN 750 with the expectation that there is no difference between the connectors and config module.

I could answer this question if I had the installation manual for the new GTNxi series but I only have the manual for the legacy GTNs. So is the connector kit (p/n 011-02326-02) the same or effectively the same for the old/new units?

Thanks.

Good Morning,

Both the GTN 750 and GTN 750Xi use the same connector kit, 011-02326-02, so there should not be any problem sending them the connector kit you received with the GTN 750Xi, for use with the GTN 750.

Thanks,

Justin

You would think that they would have built the flight stream into the unit.

And miss out on an easy $1500 upgrade? Oh please... :)

I’m a big fan of Garmin hardware (own a GTN and a 496), just not a fan of their pricing structures.

Back