What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How many RV hours per year?

How many hours per year do you put on your RV (on average)?

• 1-25 hours

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 25-50 hours

Votes: 39 16.7%
  • 50-100 hours

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • 100-150 hours

Votes: 73 31.3%
  • 150-200 hours

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • 200+ hours

Votes: 11 4.7%

• Total voters

prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm not sure if anyone has done a poll on this... I didn't see one on a quick thread search. Interested to see how many hours, on average, RV owners are putting on their airplanes each year!

Well, I've only had my 6A for 10 months now, but I've already logged 95 hours this year, so I suspect I'll go over 100 this year. Don't know if that will hold true every year, though, but I sure hope so.

Since I started the -10 project, the -6A just sits most weeks. Wife and I hardly go anywhere by air anymore. I log about 5-6 hours a year; used to be 50+.

Hopefully all about to change next summer!

And the -6A will hit the market in a couple weeks for the final financial sprint to completion. Buyer can just make the check out to Advanced Flight Systems for me :eek:

In the past 5 years I have flown AT LEAST 200 hours each year.

These are incredible airplanes!

I have earned my instrument rating in it and am working towards my commercial now.

This plane has taught me NOVELS of experience!

I wish that I had begun the project sooner than 2004!

Enjoy the ride!

:cool: CJ

Yearly hours

Our RV6A consistently flys at least 150 hours per year. We?ve owned the airplane 6 years, always had a partnership. I flew it the most with long trips and commuting to fly the jet on occasion. The average over 6 years is 166 hours per year. Normal maintenance and no major issues. Two GRT units and a Garmin 696. O-360, constant speed prop. Flown to Florida and Wyoming every year from Texas and Alaska this year.

I'm averaging 100 hrs/yr. Would be around 200, but I spend half the year out of the country. Love my RV-8. Cant think of ANY other plane I'd prefer to fly. Buying it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I fly my 7 100-150 hours each year, but I also regularly fly a/o instruct in other aircraft so not always enough time to fly RV more.

741 hours in 6.7 years, or, about 110 hours per year in the 6A. We usually make at least two long x-country trips to different regions, and several shorter trips to neighboring states during a year. This was my primary mission in choosing to build a 6A and the plane has met expectations very well. Taking friends up for local hops and golf outings, maintaining IFR currency and getting aerobatic instruction has also been fun.

The best things about having an RV are that you get to spent more time with your family and friends, and the interesting people and things you get to experience when your trip doesn't go exactly as planned. John

Last edited:
Well the data doesn't lie.... I should be flying my RV at least twice as much as I have been! I've only been averaging a little less than 40 hours per year, in the 9 years I've been flying my -9A. Shame on me... I'll do better for the next decade :) This data will help my business case ;)

I?ve had my -6 for exactly one year And have flown it 128.4 hours,
My total flight time in the last 12 months Is 285 hours

This is a little tough for me to answer because we’ve got three RV’s in the hangar, flown by two pilots (along with a couple of other flying contraptions....), but looking at log books, we can average among the three planes a little over 100 hours per year. I used to put about 300 per year on the RV-8 when it was my only plane and it was just me. Now I put a lot of my annual hours in “other people’s planes”.

Paul

It might be interesting to see how many flights per year vs hours.
My flight hours make big swings when I take long cross countries, but I don?t do them every year. Some, like Vlad, are on a perpetual cross country!
Sitting on my butt and grinding out three hour legs builds time quick, but the most critical phases of flight can only be judged by takeoffs and landings (excluding weather which is more judgment than anything)
I like this poll and find it interesting, but I am more curious about how others use their RV?s, not their seat time.

Back