What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Death to one more Bogeyman!

grjtucson

Well Known Member
So I'm knee deep in fuselage but my wings are nagging me 'cuz they have no bottom skins :( Before I can drag them to the hangar to wait patiently to be mated, I need to skin their bottoms, but I've been "nervousing" about drilling the flaps to the wings.

I was also waiting for my roll servo, which is in and now installed. I'd be amazed that people do it through the wing inspection hole without SERIOUS swearing. It's not something I'd want to do if avoidable.

Anyway, Dead Bogeyman! Both flap hinges are now drilled and look OK. A bit 'o countersinking on the braces and I can rivet them and the bottom skins. Like all the other Bogeymen thus far, it really wasn't that bad at all. Fear not, those that follow, it is just one more thing to do. The best way to rob any of these fears of their power is to simply start in on the task.

Now all I need is that Tungsten bucking bar for the bottom skin rivet-fest. Somehow I think my swearing days are ahead...

Another satisfying day in the shop :cool:

George

Uh, you have not done the canopy, baffles or cowling yet.

The Boogey Man WILL haunt you still :)

That's OK

That's OK too..........just remember......around 5000 other RV builders went through all of those challenges, met them and flew their creation. You can too! ;)

Regards,

So True

walter said:
Uh, you have not done the canopy, baffles or cowling yet.

The Boogey Man WILL haunt you still :)

Walter is sooooo correct. You've only killed one, the biggest and baddest is waiting. When doing the canopy, father boogie man brings all of his kids to haunt you through the process :eek:

Regarding the roll servo, I mounted mine in the fuselage. The entire process took less than an hour. The pushrod is short and attaches directly to the stick assembly. This is very easy to do but a little more work to get to for inspection, taking the seat pans off.

Send your direct email and I'll send you a couple of pics.

Come on guys....none of those things were THAT bad....

....or maybe it's just PTSD-induced selective amnesia? ;)

Yeah....the real point is that while we all fear the boogeymen, we are supposed to realize that they aren't real! Beat them back under the bed where they belong, and press on.....

The worst thing to build is always the last thing that you did.

In my case the wheel fairings were the most resent worst.

I did them after I started flying and didn't want to go back to build to finish them.

Kent

Installing the servo through the inspection hole was nothing compared to some of the stuff on the engine. I didn't even swear once, which is unusual lately. :D

RV7Guy said:
Walter is sooooo correct. You've only killed one, the biggest and baddest is waiting. When doing the canopy, father boogie man brings all of his kids to haunt you through the process :eek:

Regarding the roll servo, I mounted mine in the fuselage. The entire process took less than an hour. The pushrod is short and attaches directly to the stick assembly. This is very easy to do but a little more work to get to for inspection, taking the seat pans off.

Send your direct email and I'll send you a couple of pics.
Darwin, if its not to much trouble I would like to see how you installed the roll servo. My EMail is [email protected]

Back