What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2016 NOTAM (OSH)

Skydiving At East Troy

Just a heads up if you follow the VFR Planning Guide on Page 3 you need to watch for skydivers over East Troy. They announce on 123.0 and MKE approach.

Ok, sports fans, Get your NOTAM here
http://www.eaa.org/~/media/files/airventure/flyingin/5-20-16-2016 notam.pdf

I know, we've been doing this for years... yadda, yadda, but it has been a whole year and it is never too early to have it on the coffee table so that we can recite it word for word under pressure in two months.

IF you do not want to download the file and make your own hard copy, send Doug Reeves a $25 once a year donation then go to this link to have a hard copy mailed to you.

Clarification please

I've only been to OSH twice and although I read the Notams several times
I found no reference on the following set of circumstances.

Arriving after the airshow when the airport is expected to open you will hear "silence" on the ATIS frequency until it actually opens for arriving traffic.
My expectation would have been an ATIS saying the airport is closed or something to that effect rather than simply "silence".
I understand that departing traffic is allowed to leave before the airport opens for arriving traffic.
Flying toward Ripon expecting to gain entry and waiting for the ATIS to come on was somewhat unnerving for me, having no clue as to what I could expect
and how soon. The arrival window is pretty short at the end of the day and
after circling the lake in line with a dozen other planes, there seemed to be a mad dash towards the railroad tracks once the ATIS announcement indicated the airport was open to arrivals.

In a nutshell, why is the ATIS silent when the airport is closed?

I very well may have missed that detail in the NOTAM and please point it out to me where this unusual procedure is outlined.

That's a really good question Ernst, and I don't know the answer to it. But in all the years I have been flying into the OSH, the ATIS has so frequently been off the air, out of date, not working, etc, that I really don't rely on it for much. I pretty much listen to approach to get an idea of what is going on, and just monitor ATIS on another radio to see if it happens to be up and has any correlation to reality.....

Question - on the VFR departures, all departure routes list the altitude to be at or below 1300 until clear of Delta, except for the runway 9 departure over Lake Winnebago. No altitude restriction is given here - was this left off unintentionally or is this really a non-restricted climb departure route?

Question - on the VFR departures, all departure routes list the altitude to be at or below 1300 until clear of Delta, except for the runway 9 departure over Lake Winnebago. No altitude restriction is given here - was this left off unintentionally or is this really a non-restricted climb departure route?

Greg, I wouldn't treat it as unrestricted, even if legally unrestricted. 1300 MSL is only 500 AGL, so any RV is capable of climbing into the warbird arrival path for 9. They come up the lakeshore at 1800 (1000 AGL), crossing the 9 departure path and then turning for a left downwind.

Last edited:
I agree with Paul. I think I've only heard the ATIS once for the last four times I've flown into OSH. One year I didn't pick up until I was five miles out. It's been problematic.

You can pick up the metar info off adsb. Also, if you're listening on freq well in advance, there shouldn't be any surprises. The controllers do a pretty good job at keeping folks informed.

Speaking of the 2016 OSH Notam; has anyone received the printed booklet yet? It's 18 days out and I haven't seen it in the mail box... just curious.

I got my book a couple of days ago.

Also, a reminder that I send every year, PLEASE set your altimeter to the current setting before reaching Ripon. Doesn't help if you think you're at the right altitude when you're not.

Back