What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anti-Seize for exhaust ball joints

Piper J3

Well Known Member
I read that ball joints on the exhaust must be lubricated with anti-seize to prevent galling. Can anti-seize compound be wicked into the joint without disassembly? There is space at the open fair on the tubing to allow anti-seize to be squeegee'd in by finger. I suspect heat and vibration would spread the anti-seize between the mating surfaces. Thanks in advance...

IMG_1179.JPG

I read that ball joints on the exhaust must be lubricated with anti-seize to prevent galling. Can anti-seize compound be wicked into the joint without disassembly? There is space at the open fair on the tubing to allow anti-seize to be squeegee'd in by finger. I suspect heat and vibration would spread the anti-seize between the mating surfaces. Thanks in advance...

Doesn't take very long to pull the springs and do a thorough job.

This is a fairly easy job that can be done with anti seize and every other annual. We usually apply it to both surfaces. It is easier to loosen slightly the exhaust pipe nuts to allow the pipes to find their seating within the joint.

Apparently it's good for high heat applications. I'm trying to find label information...

I believe anti seize is required where the header pipe meets the cylinder head as well.
Do we use the same anti-seize compound at both ends?.

Tom O.

Last edited:
Mouse milk..... dip a flat screwdriver in the bottle and touch it to the ball joint. Sucks right in. Do it whenever you have the cowl off.

Harvey ? According to the Rotax 912 Illustrated Parts Catalog (which in addition to parts breakdowns, shows areas were special lubricants or sealants are to be applied along with non-typical torque values) section 78-10-00 page 2 shows there is no call out for the use of ant-seize compound where the header pipes attach to the exhaust port ? anti-seize compound is only called for where the ball joint on the header pipe interfaces with the muffler.

Also, believe I read somewhere that the high temperature anti-seize paste used should be copper free because the copper can have undesirable affects on the stainless steel. Unfortunately, I can?t put my mouse on that to state a source? but others more knowledgeable than I may want to jump in and correct me on that.

I think the Permatex product Bill showed is what I?m leaning towards using.

JohnG;
I stand corrected, I thought the rotax manual called for anti-seize on the header pipe where it meets the cylinder head, but after reviewing it, you are correct.
I am slowly learning about this airplane & engine.
Thanks for the help.
Tom O.

Mouse Milk

Next time your at the Mouse Milk factory tell them you want to see the tour. All of those small milking machines hooked up to those mice is unbelievable.

:eek:

Back