What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-8 Wings Arrived

ConAgraPilot

Well it took 12 weeks for the kit to be packaged up by Van's, they had a little delay with the leading edge skins. Barbara, at Van's, was awesome to work with and kept me up to date on the progress. FedEx showed up this AM with my two wing crates! A little damage to the big crate that bent 3 skins that were on the bottom(FedEx will be replacing those), otherwise all the rest made it from Aurora, OR to Aurora, IL in great shape! Looking forward to smashing rivets again or should I say deburing all those ribs!!:D

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats!

Another milestone for sure Michael! Looks like you are moving right along...BTW, I love the vinyl car sticker - how do I order one from you and how much $ should I send? Now that's a good looking sticker!

Sorry to hear about the shipping damage, but you have plenty of time for them to replace it...and it's better that they damaged it instead of you (ask me how I know) :D

Me 2!

Another milestone for sure Michael! Looks like you are moving right along...BTW, I love the vinyl car sticker - how do I order one from you and how much $ should I send? Now that's a good looking sticker!

I would really like one of those stickers with my tail number!

The Stickers

Guys I bought a set of RV-8 stickers from aircraft stickers.com and used theirs as a guide to create mine. I figured that was ok since I dont plan on selling them and was just using it for myself(and I paid them for a copy). Theirs are copyrighted it says so I dont want to get into any trouble! I'm not sure what percentage of my design would have to change to make it a non issue for copyright infringement. I LOVE the vinyl cutter and can see me using it for a bunch of stuff. :D

Michael

Cool!

I had the same joy back in July .. and now I ribs are on, the skins fitted, and I'm starting on the tanks! No rivets or dimples yet.

A couple of hints that I learned along the way...

1) If you have the room and are planning on building two wings in parallel, give yourself 3-4 feet space between the wings on the wing stand for easy access. Because of space challenges, I have a rolling stand with the wings close together, and I need to ask the better half or the kids for help to flip them.

2) Fitting the tank skins is a real bear ... I found Jason Beaver's method effective and easy, though it does take a bit of experimentation to get the feel. http://www.jasonbeaver.com/rv7/2009/05/fit-tanks-to-spars.html.

Good to hear! Looks like you and I are on the same schedule, my -8 wings arrived yesterday after about 12 weeks... due to the same leading edge skin delay. Barb was awesome and Old Dominion was quick and professional. I haven't had a chance to crack open the crates, but I'm super excited!:D

damage ?

Congrats on the wing kit arrival. My 8 wing kit will being delivered this Friday!!! 12 week wait too. I am curious about the damage, was it obvious box damage viewed from the outside, or did you discover it after opening??? I just want to have an idea what to look for as our kits were crated the same week. Happy building. Thanks.

Congrats on the wing kit arrival. My 8 wing kit will being delivered this Friday!!! 12 week wait too. I am curious about the damage, was it obvious box damage viewed from the outside, or did you discover it after opening??? I just want to have an idea what to look for as our kits were crated the same week. Happy building. Thanks.
I see that you looked at the photos, It was from the outside of the box where it got pushed in a little and just caught 3 skins. I didn't notice it until the driver left! I wont let him leave on the next crates just to make sure it gets documented. FedEx is balking on the damage now but we will see how it all works out. Barb is doing a great job at Van's and working for me!

I had the same joy back in July .. and now I ribs are on, the skins fitted, and I'm starting on the tanks! No rivets or dimples yet.

A couple of hints that I learned along the way...

1) If you have the room and are planning on building two wings in parallel, give yourself 3-4 feet space between the wings on the wing stand for easy access. Because of space challenges, I have a rolling stand with the wings close together, and I need to ask the better half or the kids for help to flip them.

Thanks Bill, If you have a chance to look at my blog I made wing stands out of steel and have them ~4' from the wall and ~4' from each other for good working room.

2) Fitting the tank skins is a real bear ... I found Jason Beaver's method effective and easy, though it does take a bit of experimentation to get the feel.http://www.jasonbeaver.com/rv7/2009/05/fit-tanks-to-spars.html.
I have been to his website before and find it very useful! Thanks again!

damage

Thanks, My wings get delivered by Fedex tomorrow (Friday) I'll have a good look for issues before the driver leaves. I hope it works out for ya, I'm sure it will.

crate split

Well my 8A wings arrived today. The box had the same damage but nothing was bent inside. I think Vans should add one more metal strap in the middle of the box to prevent the bottom from dropping out like it did. Inventory tomorrow, and off, starting on the next phase!!! :D

Back