What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My BFR

Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
With my BFR coming due by the end of this month I started looking for the right person to fly with me in my RV. My first choice was Mercedes of So. CA fame but our schedules just didn't seem to allow it to work out. My thinking was that an instructor that actually flys RV's would be better equipted to offer information and critique my flying in this breed of plane. Holding off until finding a person with RV experience I finally got this chore out of the way. Last Monday I met the CFI at the airport after work and we went about the business of keeping me legal. We talked for a bit and I told him that what I was looking for was a thorough review and even a lesson of sorts. Well he heard me loud and clear and 5 hours later he was signing my book. This was a barrage of information coming at me as fast as the words could leave his mouth and it has taken me days to recall and digest most of it. Here are a few of the highlights, but again there was so much information shared that I could almost write a book about it. For a measuring tool for anybody reading this the CFI has flown all of his life. He has 25,000 hours give or take a few, and he is a race pilot, an airshow pilot, flight school owner and he drives 747's on his days off from the small airport. He fly's all types of airplanes regularly from 20's and 30's era biplanes to doing first flights on Legacy's for other airline pilots.

THE OVERHEAD APPROACH- Yes to this, every time the opportunity presents itself for safety reasons. He talked at great length about the overhead and all the ways it is benificial. This subject has been beaten to death on this forum lately, but mostly dealing with formation overheads. Without rehashing that I am now thoroughly convinced of the virtues of the overhead and will make it a regular part of my flying. Here is one of many, and I mean many reasons that he used as examples for using the overhead approach. He asked me if I have ever flown into Pine Mountain Lake which is an airport at the gateway to Yosemite lying in the foothills. My reply was "Yes" and he asked if I did a 45 entry. "Yes" to that also. He said that the 45 puts you flying along a river bed, does it not? Okay, what's the point? He said that if you go down 1 mile out on the 45 at Pine Mountain Lake it takes 4WD rescue vehicles 4 hours to get to you. He stated that he knew of a case where this happened and that when flying into an area where access is somewhat challenging for rescue to always fly the overhead. Again, this is one of a couple of dozen examples, but he got my attention with the advice.

TURNING BACK-With the takeoff performance and altitude we can reach quickly on departure I asked about turning back if the engine fails. Basically, I wanted to work on this technique. While we didn't on this day, we are going to. I've been given homework of sorts to get ready for it because as he put it the "RV gives you a differing type of problem because of its performance." Because of the altitude a 180 degree turn will not work because likely you will to be to high to land downwind and will overshoot. There will not be enough altitude though to fly a downwind and land into the wind so we are arriving at our problem. The way back is a 270 followed by a 90 degree turn to land downwind. With this in mind I'm supposed to practice landings and record exactly how much runway I use! He wants this written down and practiced to consistancy and then the same for landing downwind. In other words how much distance do I need to land downwind in a 5 knot wind, or a 10 knot wind, etc. The reason for this is that it will become a regular part of my chores prior to taking off to see if with the current wind and conditions can I land downwind at this airport if I need to? If the answer is yes then at what altitude AGL can the turn back be executed and with a high probability of success. So after learning the technique and how much altitude I need in my RV to make a nose over, 270, and then a 90 degree turn the second part of the decision can be reached before ever taking the runway for departure. So after finishing this writing I'm going out to start on my homework and get ready for this training. He said there are statistics showing something like an 88% fatality rate for people that turn back, and well, you can do the math on what it is for the ones that go straight ahead. So without specific training on how to do this death is almost a certainty in an emergency if you turn back. The point, RV's are potentially more dangerous in this situation because of the additional altitude.

CARB ICE- What to do if you get it? The obvious carb heat, full throttle, and also to climb. Slower airflow allowing greater warming of the air and hopefully better results will come from the climb. If not you have more altitude to work with if things go bad. Here's the real gem on carb ice which makes sense, but I've never before this BFR thought about or been told about. "If the engine quits, trim for glide, pick a spot, etc., turn of the ignition off and let the gas build up for a few seconds or so and then ignition back on. The goal is to force a "BACKFIRE" to blow the ice out. If it doesn't work keep trying with pumping the throttle, boost pump, varying times with ignition off or whatever. Just try to force a backfire. He said "As distasteful as it is, try to make your plane run like Volkswagen Beetles used to" when you would see them around town.

TURNS- On departure at the beginning of the BFR I made a downwind to get us out of the area. On crosswind I saw him watching me out of my peripheral vision. When I started the turn to downwind he put his hand over the turn and slip indicator and said you just lost this for the rest of this flight. Then he said that "All you motorcycle guys fly the same as he chuckled." He said we are all dependent on that instrument to fly. Inquiring into how he knew that I ride motorcycles he said that motorcycle riders always tilt their head back up in a turn which transfers the weight to the side of their hip. He believes this keeps the pilot from feeling if the plane is in a slip or skid. We worked on keeping my head in line with my body in turns. This will take some work, but I'm supposed to be able to feel the turns if I can break this habit that I've been working on since my first Honda Mini Trail 50 when I was about 5 years old. Time will tell if I get anything out of this one.

Download over, time to go flying.

Last edited:
Wow. I just passed my BFR (first time since 1980). I hadn't flow since 1981 and it took me 7 hrs and there is no way I could have passed all of that. Someday I would hope to be up the level where I could!

On, my instructor had heart burn if I turned on the master to listen to AWOS during a preflight and then set up the radios (thought they were usually all set up with the CTAF and AWOS in standby, but I would have liked to have checked AWOS, then set the radio for CTAF and then for the next station I might want to communicate with if we were going somewhere). She was concerned about draining the battery. She is nuts, right? I was flying C150's/152's before she was born, and that is how I was taught. Was she just trying to make a few extra dollars for the flight school (she was paid by total time, not just Hobbs time), or is this how students are universally taught today? If a minute or two of master-on time is going the "drain the battery" then.....well, that is just stupid.

One thing I do love about today vs back then is the use of head sets. What a difference.

I always listen to awos before I start the plane. If turning on the master for a few minutes drains the battery then somebody needs to fix something. How do you check the lights for night flying if you don't turn on the master? Are you training at Merritt Island? I thought they charged by tach not hobbs. Merritt Island is one of my favorite airports.

Try this ...

Wow. I just passed my BFR (first time since 1980). I hadn't flow since 1981 and it took me 7 hrs and there is no way I could have passed all of that. Someday I would hope to be up the level where I could!

On, my instructor had heart burn if I turned on the master to listen to AWOS during a preflight and then set up the radios (thought they were usually all set up with the CTAF and AWOS in standby, but I would have liked to have checked AWOS, then set the radio for CTAF and then for the next station I might want to communicate with if we were going somewhere). She was concerned about draining the battery. She is nuts, right? I was flying C150's/152's before she was born, and that is how I was taught. Was she just trying to make a few extra dollars for the flight school (she was paid by total time, not just Hobbs time), or is this how students are universally taught today? If a minute or two of master-on time is going the "drain the battery" then.....well, that is just stupid.

One thing I do love about today vs back then is the use of head sets. What a difference.

It may not be "stupid" if you traditionally have a weak battery that the "management" has refused to replace.

On the other hand a simple way to get the point across to her might be the following "BALLPARK" numbers.

Radio listening = 360 seconds (6 minutes, .1 hr), at a rate of 4 amps
Cranking sluggish engine = 36 seconds (.01 hr), at a rate of 400 amps
.1*4 = .4
.01*400= 4

A factor of 10x (or 1/10th depending on viewpoint)

You should have 90% of the battery left after listening for all you want!:)

Now I am sure there is error in my assumptions and calculations somewhere here but the point is that you are NOT going to consume too much power from a healthy battery.

Now if the battery ONLY had enough to turn the engine for 3.6 seconds (which is probably all it takes for most good engines) then you have used that up. But in that case, the battery should have been REPLACED anyway!

Just some ramblings ... discard as you please. :D

Backfire?

CARB ICE- What to do if you get it? The obvious carb heat, full throttle, and also to climb. Slower airflow allowing greater warming of the air and hopefully better results will come from the climb. If not you have more altitude to work with if things go bad. Here's the real gem on carb ice which makes sense, but I've never before this BFR thought about or been told about. "If the engine quits, trim for glide, pick a spot, etc., turn of the ignition off and let the gas build up for a few seconds or so and then ignition back on. The goal is to force a "BACKFIRE" to blow the ice out. If it doesn't work keep trying with pumping the throttle, boost pump, varying times with ignition off or whatever. Just try to force a backfire. He said "As distasteful as it is, try to make your plane run like Volkswagen Beetles used to" when you would see them around town.

Bryan,
Sounds like a very good BFR. I am confused on the carb ice/backfire issue. My understanding is that when you turn off the ignition, unburned fuel enters the exhaust system. When you turn the ignition back on, the unburned fuel then explodes and makes a bang. I don't think it goes back through the intake/carb to break up the carb ice. OTOH, a change in ignition timing could cause an open intake valve when the charge explodes in the combustion chamber causing a "backfire" through the carb. Are there other conditions that could cause a backfire through the carb? Can anyone explain?
Thanks.

I always listen to awos before I start the plane. If turning on the master for a few minutes drains the battery then somebody needs to fix something. How do you check the lights for night flying if you don't turn on the master? Are you training at Merritt Island? I thought they charged by tach not hobbs. Merritt Island is one of my favorite airports.

Voyager Aviation charges flight time to the Hobbs and instructor time to a regular clock, which is fair. Well, I have never thought that Hobbs time was fair, since maintenance is based on tach time, but most places do it that way, so that makes it fair I guess. Voyager is great, don't get me wrong. Lots of airport bums hang out there and everyone is nice and the planes are well maintained. I have no concerns about the condition of the batteries there. I just thought it odd that my instructor didn't want me to have the master on for any longer than needed to lower the flaps. I have no idea if that is company policy or if that is how she was taught. Things have changed in the last 27 years and I was wondering if that was one of them. No big deal, and I (plus a lot of the local airport bums who know) highly recommend Voyager for flight instruction and rental.

I don't think she was nuts or trying to run up your bill. While heartburn may have been a little excessive - I think that was an opportunity for a lesson there. Batteries have been known to be weak for any number of reasons. I explain this to my students and suggest that they use as little battery power as possible prior to the start just in case. They usually do a cockpit check, turn on the master switch, check fuel quantity, lower flaps and then turn off the master switch prior to doing an exterior pre-flite. After engine start they check engine instruments, raise the flaps and turn on req. elect. equip. If you really need it prior to engine start and don't have enuf time prior to warm-up (recips only), AWOS, ATIS are generally available on a cell phone or thru the FBO phone. I've even gotten IFR clearances on the phone to save time on the ramp.
I think she was just trying to do a good job.
Steve

Another answer:

Buy a handheld! Save the battery, save fuel, and have a backup in flight.

AWOS, ATIS are generally available on a cell phone or thru the FBO phone. I've even gotten IFR clearances on the phone to save time on the ramp.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
FAAST Team Representative
KSBA

I think she was just trying to do a good job.
Steve

Doing "a good job" would be explaining the WHY behind not using the battery power, not just the WHAT. My pet peeve is people who tell you to do or not do a certain thing, but don't (or can't) tell you why or why not. I've had my share of weak batteries on a variety of aircraft (mostly rentals abused by students), and I use a handheld for AWOS/ATIS during preflight for 2 reasons - first it saves the ship battery even that little bit of drain, and second it serves as an operational check of my backup radio transceiver before each flight.

On a side note, I've NEVER been in a big enough hurry getting off the ground that I couldn't take the time to set up the radios after start while the engine is warming up. Realistically we're only talking about 30 seconds to a minute here - if you are really that urgently pressed to get off the ground quick, it's time to reevaluate the necessity of the flight and your objectivity as PIC.

Realistically we're only talking about 30 seconds to a minute here - if you are really that urgently pressed to get off the ground quick, it's time to reevaluate the necessity of the flight and your objectivity as PIC.

It will take about the same amount of time whether I listen on the aircraft radio before engine start, after engine start, on a handheld or on a cell phone. The problem is not how we chose to listen to AWOS and set up the radios. The problem is if we are in to big a hurry to do those things at all.

I do agree that my instructor was trying to do a good job. It is just me being an EE that cause me to question the practice (plus it being different than how I did things three decades ago). I mean, if the battery is so weak, to where it would be excessively drained if I listen to the radio before engine start, then how long would that battery last during flight if the alternator failed?

It will take about the same amount of time whether I listen on the aircraft radio before engine start, after engine start, on a handheld or on a cell phone. The problem is not how we chose to listen to AWOS and set up the radios. The problem is if we are in to big a hurry to do those things at all.

I do agree that my instructor was trying to do a good job. It is just me being an EE that cause me to question the practice (plus it being different than how I did things three decades ago). I mean, if the battery is so weak, to where it would be excessively drained if I listen to the radio before engine start, then how long would that battery last during flight if the alternator failed?

Agreed - on both points. First, that if the battery is what it should be, there should be no problem. Second, that it will take the same period of time to get the information sought regardless of the source - so time availability is not the issue - the route of information flow is. I choose the route to serve a second purpose - that of a operational check for my backup comm system.

There's nothing wrong with using the ship battery to check AWOS/ATIS, and I've done it many times (and many more to come, I'm sure...), I've just decided that checking my backup comm source is more critical (even if only slightly) than worrying about poor maintenance on a rental aircraft. If the battery has enough power to crank the engine to start, and the alternator comes online as it should (you DO check the ammeter, right??) then you are fine until and unless you have an alternator failure - which you should be prepared for before you even preflight the airplane.

Not hacking on you - don't take it that way - I'm hacking on unprepared pilots in general.

Last edited:
Ground Cpmm

I think it is a good idea to get the weather info and clearance before start. Especially at larger airports with more complex taxi layouts and possible departure delays. It is always a good idea to minimize battery usage no matter what condition your battery may be in. I copied something that I have seen in larger aircraft and put a "Ground Comm" switch in my RV7. This allows the com radio and intercom to function without anything else being powered. This also allows a second set of wiring (directly from the battery) to possibly operate the com in the event of an electrical failure (or fire).

Back