What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Weight and Balance Database

plbarrett2004

Hello All,

Years ago Dan Checkoway compiled a database of weight and balance numbers for RVs. That database survives today that someone collected on a google drive sheet available here.

A great resource, however you'll notice that the majority of RV-8s listed have an empty CG of 77.51", to include all of the 200hp variants. Clearly not all of those aircraft are coming in with that exact number, so somewhere along the line I suspect that an error was introduced.

My build has an IO-360 A3B6D with a Whirlwind 74HRT prop and the battery is going in the back. I'm trying to run some weight and balance scenarios. I am hoping to get some other examples for RV-8s with a similar configuration.

Searching the forums so far, I have found:

Angle Valve with metal CS prop (N181U) 79.4 1162lbs
Ian Findlay (200hp metal CS prop) 77.7 1111lbs
Michael Robinson (200hp with metal cs) 78.4 1162lbs

So a few questions - anyone willing to report their numbers? Also - does anyone know who owns that spreadsheet in google drive?

Cheers,
Peter

N84TH

1129lbs
79.42 CG
Stock IO-360
MT 3-Blade CS
Full Inverted Oil & Fuel
Rear Battery
Painted

RV-8, N88WV, 1032#, 79.05”, Titan IO370, Whirlwind GA prop, battery on FW, 380-180-5 tires, light weight tailwheel

Last edited:
RV-8, 1153#, 78.24 cg, AeroSport IO375, 72" Hartzell BA, Battery Aft, Primed In & Out, Painted, Steam gauges

RV8
IO360 200HP Angle Valve
EarthX Battery on firewall
Hartzell Composite Prop
1,106 LB
CG 75.6 IN

RV-8
IO-360-M1B
Hartzell BA CS prop
One PC-625 battery in the fwd baggage well, one PC-625 battery in the standard aft location
Grove Gear
Painted (base coat - clear coat), everything primed and interior painted
1137# empty, CG 78.83" empty

Carl

Last edited:
Bump

This thread is an excellent resource. I am a new builder that has just ordered an empennage kit. I won't hijack the thread with my questions but I hope more people post their setups/weight and balance info... especially moment arms, battery location and any weight saving mods, engine/prop type etc. It certainly helps for build planning purposes!

RV8 weight and balance

O-360 parallel valve
Whirlwind RV200 prop
EarthX battery on firewall
Smoke system in forward deep well

1121: Empty weight
CG: 79.17

O-360 with Rotec TBI.
Inverted oil
Catto-three blade
Lithium battery on firewall
no lights or gyros.

1016 lbs CG 79.85

IO-360 (superior cold sump / double pmag)
Inverted oil and engine preheater
Earth X 900 on firewall
Grove gear
Catto 3 Blade
Rear Panel (Garmin G3X 7“)
Leather Interior and Carpets
Fully painted (3 colors and clearcoat)

Empty: 1029lbs / CG: 79.84

IO-360 (superior cold sump/dual pmag)
Engine preheater
Earth X 900 Behind Baggage Compartment
Full Leather Interior with Heated Seats
Full Carpet
Dual 10.4 inch GRT Screens
WW 74 HRT Prop

Empty: 1147 lbs / CG: 76.7

Trying to configure W & B for RV-8 in Foreflight. Getting notices saying "No forward CG limit is defined at the maximum takeoff weight". Same for aft CG limit. Can anybody explain to me how to set this up? I don't see where to do it. Thx.

Back