What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VAF Charter Jet to OSH

JDRhodes

Well Known Member
If you've been wanting to go to Oshkosh this year and don't really have the time to do a multi-day trip in the RV, read on.

I'm a VAFer in the Atlanta area. I work for an aircraft charter company as the Business Development Manager. I would like to put together a charter trip for VAF folks from here Atlanta, GA) to Oshkosh for Airventure 2012 using our Learjet.

My thinking is this:
Opening day, Monday July 23 - this is the day the RV-1 is scheduled to arrive and be put on display at the show.
One day up and back. Leave form McCollum Airport in Atlanta (RYY) at 0700, arrive by 0800 CDT. Return after the daily airshow.
Up to 7 pax (6 minimum)

Price is about $1,760 per person - Which is not bad, considering you'd spend at least $500-$600 flying an RV up and back, plus hotels, plus weather delays, plus rental car... We are paying DR a standard charter commission for allowing me to promote it here.

Please send me a PM or an email and let me know if you're interested. Reservations will be first come-first served and I need to either have the trip filled and booked by July 1 - or not. We'll need to fill the airplane, to make it cost effective. (Of course, if you want to spend $10K and charter the whole flight, you certainly can. You don't even have to go to OSH;))

This would be a great way to send someone to Oshkosh for the day - a veteran? A college student? A spouse? A third person that doesn't fit in the RV?

We'll fly right in to OSH, take the shuttle over to the Airventure grounds from the FBO and return after the field reopens. A good day at the show and a sweet ride to boot.

We are a certifed Air Taxi Operator. The airplane is a Lear 35 corporate jet - maybe the nicest Lear in the country. The crew will consist of our two most experienced pilots. I look forward to hearing from the VAF community.

Thanks Doug!

Jeff Rhodes
Southern Jet Management
Asheville Jet Charter and Management
RV-9,7
770-547-9676
[email protected]

Very cool. Too rich for my blood though...plus I'm going up for the whole week. I must say though, a couple hours in a LJ35 sure sounds a lot better than 16 or so hours in the car...

That is a once in a life time opportunity for most of us

I have never seen an opportunity like this before offered to common folks like me. I hope to be flying in the AirVenture Cup Race out of Mitchell, South Dakota however.

Bob Axsom

Longer Stay

Jeff,

I think you'll have to re-do your estimate, allowing for a longer stayover to get any takers. I can't imagine someone flying from hotlanta to OSH for just a single day of the show. Anyone who can, probably isn't a plane enthusiast; and therefore wouldn't be going to OSH in the first place.

I don't know...

Jeff,

I think you'll have to re-do your estimate, allowing for a longer stayover to get any takers. I can't imagine someone flying from hotlanta to OSH for just a single day of the show. Anyone who can, probably isn't a plane enthusiast; and therefore wouldn't be going to OSH in the first place.

I'm kind of enthusiastic about airplanes and a full day walking those grounds is plenty for me. In reality the flight would be what appealed to me - it will be interesting to see how this works out. I hope it works out.

Bob Axsom

I've actually made a day trip to SNF (which is a little closer to here) several times. For some people, it can be just enough. Reducing the total r/t flying time to a little over 3 hours by going 500 mph helps, too!

There are a lot of folks that would really like to go, but just can't justify taking 4 or 5 vacation days to go to something that their whole family might not consider a vacation.

Anyway - I'me certainly not opposed to doing a multi-day charter. Just understand that it can significantly add to the cost. We have to pay the FBO fees (which can be $x00 per night), crew lodging and meals and transportation, etc. We are running a business, so I also have to charge for having the aircraft and crew sitting out of service, as well. But, understanding all any person or group wants a custom quote, give us a shout.

We have a Gulfstream also! You could really arrive in style with 10 of your best friends. :D

I've actually made a day trip to SNF (which is a little closer to here) several times. For some people, it can be just enough. Reducing the total r/t flying time to a little over 3 hours by going 500 mph helps, too!

:D

I had the wonderful opportunity a few years ago to do a "one day" at OSH via a Citation Sovereign. It was a fantastic trip made even better as I walked the grounds and watched the airshow (with a fine group of airplane junkies) knowing I would be sleeping in my own bed 750 miles away that night . :)

Chicago never looked better (at flight level 430....)!

JR's trip will be a great OSH for the fortunate travelers.

There are a lot of folks that would really like to go, but just can't justify taking 4 or 5 vacation days to go to something that their whole family might not consider a vacation.

A valid point. I hope it works out for you/them. Seeing as I grew up in GA, I'm quite sure that would be a fun flight... Go Dawgs!

Just understand that it can significantly add to the cost. We have to pay the FBO fees (which can be $x00 per night), crew lodging and meals and transportation, etc.

What kind of pilots would need to get paid to go to Osh for a day? I think it's time to hire a new crew!

ha ha

Guys:

This is something that many never get to do. You will enjoy the ride. I am luck enough to have ridden on a Corporate Lear 25 flight from San Jose to LAX. My employer flew some executives to SFO and instead of flying back to LAX empty, they picked myself and my boss at the time up at San Jose and flew just the two of us home. Sure beat the airline ride up and was an experience one will never forget. For a fair transportation price, you get to visit AirVenture for the day and be back with your family at night.

Mike: Go Dawgs.......yeah, that was a mistake, a very big mistake.

I will never forget watching the pumpkin drop contest (my daughter won $100 - 12 feet I think from pylon) and trying to figure out why the Maule departed the area and tossed a pumpkin in the next field. Turns out that some "outsider" had decorated his pumpkin with some references to the Dawgs and the Tech guys taught him a lesson. :)

Guys:

This is something that many never get to do. You will enjoy the ride. I am luck enough to have ridden on a Corporate Lear 25 flight from San Jose to LAX. My employer flew some executives to SFO and instead of flying back to LAX empty, they picked myself and my boss at the time up at San Jose and flew just the two of us home. Sure beat the airline ride up and was an experience one will never forget. For a fair transportation price, you get to visit AirVenture for the day and be back with your family at night.

This I will echo. I got to take a Lear 25 flight last year...although it was a really short one, from PDK to LZU. Kind of fun making that trip in five minutes flat. And the acceleration on takeoff is out of this world.

:D

In another airplane

There is an L-39 that flys out of RYY. I'd pay that much to make the trip with him. :D

To bad I live in Chicago area, I would Of done this ride in a heartbeat. I hope it works out for a lucky few.

What kind of pilots would need to get paid to go to Osh for a day?

ha ha

True, so true. But then again, sweet deal for the crew. Getting to go to OSH on company time, flying company iron and collecting a check to do it. The only down side I see is having to pass on the beer tent! :D

JD,
That would be a perfect way for me to see OSH for the first time. I am close enough to ATL and am one of those who can't swing a whole week off of work. Only thing keeping me from signing up is the fare :(

Takers?

OK guys - Everybody says it would be great. Time to pull a few triggers. I'll sweeten the pot. If you're coming from some other airport, your RV can stay in our hangar for the day.
How about it Pierre? - better than a pickup in Augusta.

I'm committed.

I'd jump on this deal in a skinny minute if I wasn't already committed to take my wife (her first time) and also her Marine reservist son, in my -10, to Osh for their first visit.

Thanks for the offer,

Oh well - I thought there'd be more interest. I guess we'll make the jet available for something else that week.

Back