What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

new wings order

JENSWAY

I am about to order my wings!

Would anyone recommend a delux lockable fuel cap as opposed to the ones Van's supplies with the kit?

Also, would it be a wise idea to order the landing lights now or would I be able to retro-fit them once the wing construction is complete?

If you are going with the standard Van's (Ducks) leading edge kit, they will retrofit, but it is a lot easier to drill and rivet the nutplates while the wing is open.
While I do not have the locking caps, those I am familiar with can be ordered from Van's as well. They retrofit into standard flange. The people I know that have them are happy with them. They look nice and appear to be high quality. The only issue here in the States is that the older gas nozzle size is too big to fit into the retofitted opening. Most pumps have been changed out over the years so I think that issue is rare.
I noticed they do have new locking caps also that are not retrofit. I have never seen those so I can not comment on them.

Last edited:
Fuel Caps

I had this same question not too long ago. I was thinking about upgrading primarily to get a better flange. My thought was that a machined flange might result in a smoother skin.

I ended up buying the standard caps with their flanges. I have installed them and am happy with the results.

I also figure that the parts for these caps will always be available.

When I ordered my wings, I bought the standard caps and am happy with them. While you are building, you might want to send the caps off to be engraved. Here's a link.

Other things I ordered at the same time were Dynon pitot tube, a Gretz chrome pitot mast, SafeAir1 pitot - static line kit, the Duckworth landing lights, conduit from Van's, extra snap bushings for the pitot and AoA lines, position lights & strobes.

When I started flying, I bought an extra fuel cap and quick drain to keep in my tool bag. (I did not engrave my N-number on the fuel caps, just in case I lost one in flight. Which I truly hope never happens.)

Oh, if you are going to install an auto pilot, you might want to order the bracket. However, this can be put in later and is easy to install.

I purchased the deluxe locking caps. They are beautiful and easy to open/close. I've read reports where folks had trouble opening their standard caps with their fingers or had to use a tool. Absolutely no problem with the deluxe caps.

I've also read reports, like JonJay above, that the retro-fit locking caps with their flange that bonds into the existing flange hole, leave an opening that is too narrow for certain fuel pump nozzles. Like he said, probably not a big issue if you decide to go that route.

Yes, the deluxe caps are kind of expensive. But they're great and I'm glad I have them.

I recently sent the standard caps back and received the deluxe caps. I could not open the standard ones with my finger, had to use a screw driver or other tool to pop the little tab up. The deluxe lockable ones operate easily!

I'll go with the delux caps and instal the landing lights while I have the wing open. Thanks for the info, it's more to the point than chin wagging at the airfield!

Fuel Pickup With Screen

Wayne,

You might also want to order 2 x F FUEL TANK PU W/SCRN. This was recommended to me by many builders.

Andair caps

I highly recommend the Andair retrofit caps. IMHO, it was the best upgrade I ever did to my 9A. My 9 has them from the start. Uses the Usher flanges. I also have an extra pair of brand new ones that a friend of mine has asked me to sell for him. He tried to make them work on his Lancair, but there was no real good way to do it. I hassled with the Usher fuel caps and learned to truly hate them. Andair caps are a bit pricey, but worth every penny, and they lock and look fantastic.
Regards,
Chris

The standard fuel caps have a tension adjustment that lets you customize how hard, or easy the cap is to remove. Out of the box it is very tough to open. After making a slight adjustment (that is described in the literature that comes with the cap) I can open and close the caps with ease. The cost of the locking caps is a non-starter for me.

Wayne,

You might also want to order 2 x F FUEL TANK PU W/SCRN. This was recommended to me by many builders.

Good point, I had forgotten about this nice little item. The difference is this has a screen attached to the end of the pickup rather than cutting a bunch of slots in the end of the tube.

Here's the link.

we got the Standard ver. when we initially purchased our wing kit... they weren't so nice so we opted for the Deluxe ver. Mucho better and a bonus is they're locking. they just work so easily.
never thought of sending our standards back, just may have to do that. no use to us now.
we purchased the Wing light as well at the time... haven't install that yet though. next week!

I sent my standard caps back and got a credit that helped take the sting off the deluxe, but I am glad that I traded up. The deluxe are very smooth and well made. They do offer a non locking version as well for $5 a cap less.

These are not the same as the retrofit caps that others have mentioned with the smaller filler neck. They have the same opening as the standards. The difference is that they must be installed during construction. The retrofits are smaller in the neck but are only for those that have built tanks with the original flanges.

Keep in mind that the standards are discounted in a wing kit, so the credit is not full retail. Still better than nothing if you do return them.

Another thing to add to the order is a roll of conduit for wire runs. I wish I had ordered the pre-made pickups...but maybe I still will with another inevitable parts order.

I also just ordered the vents and fuel drain fairings from JDAir. While not required, they are nice and hopefully will shave a .5 knot of drag off. ;)

Back