What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Rivet Gun

In my opinion, the best rivet gun(s) are the Atlas Copco 2X and 3X that I have. These have an vibration damping feature that most guns don't have. Also a great teasing trigger and a pressure control built into the trigger (twist to set/change). More info on their website. They are expensive, but I think my hands and wrists are worth it.

Rivet gun

I use an Avery 3X and built three airplanes with it so far. Works well but I have no idea how it compares to others on the market. All others I used were WWII surplus units back in the 1960's and the Avery has a better feeling trigger but is much more lightly built.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD flying 400 hrs.
RV8 Fuselage canoe stage.
Northfield, MN

I also have the Atlas Copco 3X recoil-less and really like it but there are times I wish I had a nice compact 2X Avery for the lighter riveting and confined spaces.

Rivet gun

Looks like you'll glean lots of favorites from our group when it comes to rivet guns.
I have used several in my time, but find the Sioux 2X to be my favorite. If you can get a deal on one, don't hesitate. They are a bit more expensive than others out there. I have used the avery gun as well, and it is also a very good tool, however I find the trigger and hand grip on the Sioux much more comfortable. I can peck a rivet with my well oiled Sioux with only 15 or 20 PSI at the inlet with ease.
Hope this helps!!

Regards,
Chris

PS....Get yourself a tungsten bucking bar. Much more important than your chioce of rivet gun ...IMHO....

In my opinion, the best rivet gun(s) are the Atlas Copco 2X and 3X that I have. These have an vibration damping feature that most guns don't have. Also a great teasing trigger and a pressure control built into the trigger (twist to set/change). More info on their website. They are expensive, but I think my hands and wrists are worth it.

Thanks for the input - Can you tell me where you purchased them? I have looked online, with no luck. I called the company this morning, and they are putting me in touch with the area rep. Have you seen any used guns around?

Atlas Copco

First gun (2X) I bought from a local distributor. Second one (3X) local distributor no longer carried them, contacted manufacturer and they put me in touch with the sales rep. He did have a demonstrator model which was a bit cheaper than a new one, but I couldn't live with the scratches so I bought a new one.

Did I mention that they are expensive? Almost every gun you look at will be cheaper. I'm still glad I bought them though. As a complete novice, and a bit of a tool junkie, I didn't want to blame a bad rivetting job on cheap tools, especially since there are a lot of rivets to buck. And as a novice, you don't know if it's the tool or your skill.

If you can only buy one, get the 3X. I bought the 2X first but had some trouble driving some of the longer -4 rivets, so eventually bought the 3X.

P/Ns are RRH-06P TS for the 3X and RRH 04P-12-TS for the 2X.

3X

I have only used the Avery gun, but whichever you get I highly recommend a 3X gun over a 2X gun.

Last edited:
It depends

Like anything else, it depends.
For manufacturer, you usually get what you pay for. The Avery guns that I have used are very nice.
As to 2X vs 3X I think that also depends.
I built a slow build RV6 with a borrowed 3X rivet gun and it worked just fine. But, for 99% of the riveting it can get a little heavy and unweildy, at least for me. If you are building a slow build, there are some larger rivets that a 3X will do better. For a QB, I don't think there are any rivets that require a 3X gun.
I got a 2X for the QB RV8 and it worked great for all rivets. I just put a small regulator the base of the gun and made marks at two air pressure settings, one for #4 rivets and one for #3 rivets. The 2X gun is smaller and lighter, which is great for me since I do a lot of riveting by myself.
If a nearby builder has a 3X gun you can borrow, you might consider getting the 2X and trading back and forth as needed, or vice versa.
I would recommend trying them out. Seek out some local builders and I bet they'll let you try out what ever they have so you can get a better idea what you are most comfortable with.

Chicago Pneumatic 3x

I tried a couple before I bought my tools, and during a builders class got to use a Chicago Pneumatic 3x gun. Good weight, teasing trigger is very controllable, very consistent, very nice all around.

Ended up ordering that separate from the rest of my tools, as neither Avery or Cleaveland stocked it. Got it from Brown, part number CP4444-RUSAB. (though you can find it elsewhere) Also on the more expensive side, but so far I'm very happy I went with it.

Back