What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tires-New or Monster Recap?

jlisler

Well Known Member
What is the general thought of using recap tires from Desser? The write up on the Monster Retread looks good and I like the idea of the extra tread thickness. Our local crop duster uses retreads and gets good service from them. His turbine Thrush makes many take-off and landings per day. He told me today the current set of recaps has been in service 450 hours. With the money being about the same for a new tire verses a recap, what is the best value? What is the safest tire?

My RV-4 eats up the outside of the left tire. I have to rotate it on the rim to even out the wear. The left side tire wears about 1/3 faster than the right side tire. Ground handling is good and the airplane tracks straight. I do not see any way to make adjustments to correct an alignment issue.

What is the general thought of using recap tires from Desser? The write up on the Monster Retread looks good and I like the idea of the extra tread thickness. Our local crop duster uses retreads and gets good service from them. His turbine Thrush makes many take-off and landings per day. He told me today the current set of recaps has been in service 450 hours. With the money being about the same for a new tire verses a recap, what is the best value? What is the safest tire?

My RV-4 eats up the outside of the left tire. I have to rotate it on the rim to even out the wear. The left side tire wears about 1/3 faster than the right side tire. Ground handling is good and the airplane tracks straight. I do not see any way to make adjustments to correct an alignment issue.

The answer to your question can be found here:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=276725

Recaps

I had the Desser Recaps on a Cessna 170 which were very durable and worked well, however, the wheel fairings no longer fit due to the more substantial tread. On my RV6 I fit my wheel fairings to heavier, more meaty tread tires, (not Desser recaps) than Van's supplied AeroTrainer tires and I have little extra room. I don't know if Desser Monster retreads would fit. Has anyone out there actually tried them in Vans wheel fairings?

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD
300 flight hours
Northfield, MN

watch that tire clearance

I went with Flight Custom II's and had to add 1/2 inch to the top of my wheel farings. Love the tires, hate the unintended consequences. Never throw away your left over glass and epoxy!
My 6A has the old style farings.

snip

With the money being about the same for a new tire verses a recap, what is the best value? What is the safest tire?

snip

When I last bought Desser retreads for my RV, the price was less than half that of a new tire. I will probably get 700 to 800 hours service from them.

Archive search for retread and Desser will yield worthwhile reading.

monster retrreads are good

Just put the Monster retreads on my Skipper 2 months ago... work great so far. Roll smooth, deep grooves, and cheap! I think they will work out great. It was weird to get a yellow tag with a tire, though :D

Hello everyone, my name is Carlo and I'm the forum rep here at Desser Tire or VansAircrafttires.com. I'm glad you guys like our retreads! We now have a web site dedicated to Van's RV's, you can check it out at http://www.vansaircrafttires.com If you have any questions about tires, or customer service questions, or tech stuff, feel free to PM me anytime!

Desser Monster...

Absolutely the best tire for a 2 place RV, IMHO. Plan to enlarge your wheel pant openings. My set is wearing very very well.

Regards,
Chris

I'm just completing my annual on my -7A. Part of that was to put new rubber all the way around. After reading many positive reviews of the Monster retreads I decided to buy a set and install.

Lots of new rubber on these tires. I did open my wheel pant opening 1/4 inch in the front and back to ensure good clearance. I was planning on cleaning up the wheel pants and repainting them anyway so this was no big deal.

Great looking tires, I'll post to this thread if any issues come up once I get the plane back in the air again.

Back