What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thicker Brake Linings

mark960

I am in the process of replacing my tires and brake linings. I was using the Monster Re-treads from Desser, and found that the brake linings wore our before the tires ran out. (That's a first for me)

The current brake linings are the Cleveland 66-106 / 66-10600. A neighbor had a set of brake pads that were from a Maule he used to own. They are the same size but thicker. I'm having difficulty reading a part number but believe that they are 66-105 / 66-10500. The pads are thicker and only have 2 rivet holes per pad.

I am debating trying these thicker brake pads but have the following questions.

- Will they last longer? If so why aren't others using them?

- In order to leave enough space to fit over the rotor, I will need a shim/spacer between the piston assembly and the corresponding back plate. Will this spacer allow the piston to move TOO far as the brakes wear?? ie. Will the piston 'O' ring move past it's limit, result in loss of brake fluid and braking action??

- Other concerns I may be missing??

Mark Klepper
N1075 RV9A

My take on this would be to use the manufactures part and change them as they wear. It doesn?t take long to replace brake pads. If a brake locks up or fails to function correctly then it could be more expensive and time consuming. I bought a second set of backing plates so always have a set ready to go.

I am in the process of replacing my tires and brake linings. I was using the Monster Re-treads from Desser, and found that the brake linings wore our before the tires ran out. (That's a first for me)

The current brake linings are the Cleveland 66-106 / 66-10600. A neighbor had a set of brake pads that were from a Maule he used to own. They are the same size but thicker. I'm having difficulty reading a part number but believe that they are 66-105 / 66-10500. The pads are thicker and only have 2 rivet holes per pad.

I am debating trying these thicker brake pads but have the following questions.

- Will they last longer? If so why aren't others using them?

- In order to leave enough space to fit over the rotor, I will need a shim/spacer between the piston assembly and the corresponding back plate. Will this spacer allow the piston to move TOO far as the brakes wear?? ie. Will the piston 'O' ring move past it's limit, result in loss of brake fluid and braking action??

- Other concerns I may be missing??

Mark Klepper
N1075 RV9A

Mark,
What are you missing? You own an airplane that uses brakes to steer. I realize your RV-9A is a tricycle and the brakes are not as critical as they are on the taildraggers but they are still critical! My take on brake pads is completely different then yours. I think they are cheap, easy to replace, and extremely important to the safe operation of my RV-8, therefore, I change mine every conditional. That's right..... everyone! I really don't care how much pad wear is left! I don't want to worry if the remaining pad wear will make another year. I don't want to have to remove the wheel pants and check the pads for remaining wear during the year!

I usually find them for $10 bucks each. That's forty dollars for new brakes every conditional. Changing the oil cost more! There have been years I flew a lot and they were pretty much used up. There were years that half the remaining wear was left. I don't care!

Every conditional I remove the wheels to clean and pack the wheel bearings. It takes me about an extra 30 minutes to reline the brake pads. No big deal! I then have the confidence of knowing I'm good for another year no matter how much I use the brakes.

If you don't have one, buy a brake pad reline tool, a bench vise, and a bunch of pads and rivets. Keep them in stock in you tool box. Have fun and use the brakes all you want! Have the confidence that you're good for another year.

One last thing....only use the proper brake pads. OEM if possible.

Back