What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Funny humming sound?

daddyman

Well Known Member
Heard a high pitch, high frequency humming sound while over the Blue Ridge Mountains Monday.
Conditions: VFR, mild turbulence
Airspeed 156 KTS
Weight 1519
Pilot 156
Passenger 210?
fuel 23 gal (138#)

After flight inspection showed no problems.
Elevator trim looks fine.

Was this possibly elevator flutter?

Daddyman
N262 DF
dues paid 5/14

humming

I fought this problem for a while and finally found that the upper intersection fairings were not fitted to the fuselage and wing tight enough. I found it by removing the fairings before a flight to NC. I fiberglased several layers of cloth on the inside of each fairing where they meet the fuselage and wing and sanded them down for a tight fit. The sound disappeared. Take a look at yours and see how tight they fit. It may be the problem.

Headset on ?
Not hearing the alternator are you? If airframe for sure, follow the path suggested earlier.

Mine too...canopy skirt

I was over the Blueridge this weekend also, but no buzzing sound! I had same issue a couple years ago, usually only above 150Kts and always in long "downhill" runs from altitude. I quickly pinpointed it to the back of the canopy skirt right at the centerline where it would barely touch the skin. I put a little foam tape under it for test purpose and no more buzz. Forgot to do the permanent fix, and it came back a couple weeks later..foam piece fell off. I now have a little rubber "bumper" there. Yours may be different, but when mine "buzzed" it really got your attention.

Interesting how airplanes always sound strange over mountains and water:eek:

Bird

Very good Idea.
I knew I had a "leak" there as wind blows in.
I left it alone as a poor man's air conditioner, but will seal it up.

Thanks,
Daddyman

Back