What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for MN AME who's good

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Next week, I'll have a five month check up with the neurotologist in my effort to get my medical back and assuming all goes well, I'll schedule a visit with an AME.

All of my stuff is going to be shipped to the regional flight surgeon so all I need from the AME is a guy who'll do the physical and follow the instructions not to send everything down to OkC.

I'm not going to use the AME I had before (in Hudson, WI). I just didn't think he was particularly communicative or interested in helping me. He cashed the check, though.

So, I'm looking to the people in Minnesota -- preferably the Twin Cities -- to refer me to the AME they love.

Thx

Just need you to move to Wisconsin, Bob. My son, Aaron Beck, just became a senior AME. He grew in an airplane family, helped build the RV, and understands pilots. But he is in Fort Atkinson Wi. I know he would be happy to help if you have questions. Just let me know and I can get you his contact information. Glad to hear you are on the way back and hope to see you at Oshkosh this summer.

Randy Corfman

Hi Bob,

I just went to Randy Corfman in Maple Grove. He is a pilot and was a good guy.

Alex Peterson liked him as well. He is president of the MN Pilot's Association.

Bob,

I know Randy from the MN Pilots Association although I personally have not used him as an AME. Seems like a fine fellow.

I have gone to Charlie Hipp at the Stillwater Medical Clinic for years. I recommend him 100%.

AME

Bob,

I am sure that there are AMEs in MN that will try dilligently to help you recover your medical. If you get frustrated though and don't mind a quick vacation to Florida as well as visit a flying P51 Mustang museum, contact Dr. William Busch at Stallion 51 in Kissemee Florida. He is a senior FAA medical examiner. You can email him for information at [email protected]. Super nice examiner and a fine fellow to talk with. I think he owns an RV8.

David Watson
Quincy Florida

Mayo Clinic in Rochester has an entire department of AMEs. I was visiting one when he placed a personal call to the head AME in OK City to resolve an issue. I would not hesitate to suggest them.

AME

Something to consider....

If you have all of the data that your regional flight surgeon needs to review your situation and render a decision, I suggest that you send all of that in to him (he is actually a good guy, we went to med school together, were flight surgeons in the AF at the same time, etc) PRIOR to your exam. That might take a few weeks but, likely, would be a lot less with prior communication by you with his department. Then you will get a letter from the FAA, assuming all of the requirements were met, stating that all that you need is successful completion of your exam and then any AME can issue the certificate on site the day of your exam, assuming basic criteria are met.

This has a lot of advantages.

1. Decrease in drama. You walk into the exam knowing that all you need is to pass the eye exam, etc to be issued the same day.

2. Takes the AME out of the special issuance process. All he does is complete the exam and issue the certificate.

3. Saves you a trip to find an AME who will do the special issuance process for you and makes you more of an active participant in the process, which we all like.

4. If, hopefully not, it is not successful, you have not lost your shot at LSA.

I'd be happy to look at the data, reports, etc (we have talked before) and give you my take on it. I could contact Dr. Schaaf, if needed, at Great Lakes (I think that you are in the Chicago region) in your behalf. Then, once you have your blessing from the FAA, then you go to a local AME and complete the process. Just pilot to pilot.

Let me know if I can help.

John Owen
RV-8
Senior AME
EAA Aeromedical Board member

Yes, I have the regional flight surgeon -- David Schadl -- on my side so there's a very limited amount of things I need the AME to do. He's been really great. My concern is that I'd run into some AME that would insist on sending everything to OKC rather than to him.

But the outline he gave me is get all the data, take it to the AME, pee in the cup and then send it all down to him. I should check back with him to see if I should send all non-AME stuff directly to him rather than depend on the AME to bundle and send.

Re: LSA. My understanding is unless I can get the medical back, I can't fly LSA. Is this incorrect?

AME

If you have a relationship with Dave, I'd call him and tell him that you would prefer to pre-emptively send it to him for his approval pending completion of a 3rd class physical once his review is complete. I have been doing it this way in the Central Region for a while and have found it to be better for the reasons that I mention above. Plus, the clock doesn't start on the certificate the day that it is issued, not the date of the physical pending the regional flight surgeon review/approval. That alone can gain you a month or two before your requirement to recertify.

The denial for LSA is only if you have been denied by the FAA. If you have not applied and never denied, you do not need to pass it before you start flying light sport.

John

Got it. I'll be in touch with him. Thanks for the continuing help.

I was, fyi, denied last September so I'm hoping I can get it back. Then, of course, I'll have a big decision to make in two years.

Back