What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Borescope/endoscope review

Mike D

Well Known Member
Just a quick review on my new borescope.

I have a 5MP dental cam, but this is much better and no modifications needed.

It is a Vividia 2MP Handheld USB Digital Endoscope/Microscope. Made by Oasis Scientific Inc. $100 on amazon.

Make sure you get the true 2MP version (not interpolated)

It comes with a stand and a few attachments, but I only used the mirror attachment.

The LED's are variable in intensity which is very nice for pickng out the small details that would normally get washed out with full LED power.

It can be focused by turning the knarled dial at the end. Very useful.

The images are far better than the 5MP dental cam I have. Higher MP does not mean better image. (Hardware integration, tuning, and software drivers make a huge difference)

Some images of my 1900 hour o-320.

5ng8.jpg

necd.jpg

Here the variable LED intensity allowed the cracks in the chrome cylinder wall to show.
fmw1.jpg

Here the focus allowed me to target the valve shaft.
hd8v.jpg

Checking for cracks in head.
77a1.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, which tube diameter and how do you get it turned around to look back at the valves?
Thanks!

I have the 12m tube. (eheV1-USBplus). tube length is 140mm but I think that is a little short for our purpose. Hard to fit between the intake and exhaust tubes and still manipulate.
They have a smaller one (eheV2-USB-S) that is 8.2mm tube. This is a 110mm long tube. might be too short.
If I were to buy another one, I might get the (UM07). This is the 8.2mm tube but with a 165mm length. More expensive but will probably work better for our purpose.

They all come with a mirror attachment to look 90-deg.

If someone buys one of the smaller tube versions, please post pictures.

Last edited:
Michael, I may be interested in buying the longer, narrower one.
Do you think 165mm. will not interfere outside?
Thanks.
Camillo

165mm long will be perfect. This will allow you to use the bottom spark plug hole and not need to cram your fingers between the exhaust and intake tubes.
Wish I had ordered this one instead.

I have the 12m tube. (eheV1-USBplus). tube length is 140mm but I think that is a little short for our purpose. Hard to fit between the intake and exhaust tubes and still manipulate.
They have a smaller one (eheV2-USB-S) that is 8.2mm tube. This is a 110mm long tube. might be too short.
If I were to buy another one, I might get the (UM07). This is the 8.2mm tube but with a 165mm length. More expensive but will probably work better for our purpose.

They all come with a mirror attachment to look 90-deg.

If someone buys one of the smaller tube versions, please post pictures.

I just ordered the UM07. I'll let you know. Thanks for sharing this info. I've been kicking around buying a scope for years.

Brent

Back