What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Don't build angry!

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Remember in "Groundhog Day" when Bill Murray is teaching the groundhog to drive, and he comments, "Don't drive angry!"

Same goes for your build project.

Yes, it's important to keep it moving, and doing something, anything every day is a good way to get it done, but there are days when it's best to leave it alone. I just buggered up a replacement rudder (the original was damaged by insufficient packing during transportation) by transferring frustration from beyond the workshop to my back-riveting - and I went right past the edge of the back rivet plate. Creased the skin and the stiffener. Perhaps still usable.

I know it's an easy mistake to make; I'm not the first to do it, but I did it because my mind was elsewhere and not on the task at hand. Fortunately it's an easy part to re-do. Sadly, it's a hard lesson to learn.

Repetitive tasks like back-riveting stiffeners can allow your mind to wander - sometimes wandering to unhappy places and we all have people or situations we'd really LOVE to hit with a rivet gun; and hit far harder than a tiny 3-3.5 rivet in a rudder skin can handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Don't build angry!"

Sage advice there Clay. I'm sorry you had to re-learn what you already knew; but it speaks loads to the fact you recognize it.

Another lesson I seem to have to relearn, regrettably, is:
"Don't get in a hurry, it slows you down!" :(

Cheers & best to you,

I learned very early on in my build to quit for the day when I made a significant mistake. I found that if I built on, I would usually make more mistakes, causing more frustration.

Very good advice. Also applies to being tired, too hot/cold and dehydrated. At some point in the build I think many people develop a sixth sense about when to step away, even if it's only to get a drink of water. Being aware that this is an issue was a big revelation for me during my build and it took someone else to point it out too!

Good advise

Very good advice. Also applies to being tired, too hot/cold and dehydrated. At some point in the build I think many people develop a sixth sense about when to step away, even if it's only to get a drink of water. Being aware that this is an issue was a big revelation for me during my build and it took someone else to point it out too!

Excellent advise.
I think we all develop the ability. The problem is recognizing it. I finally did too. Now when the light bulb goes off, I walk away. Far fewer mistakes.

Whenever I was asked when my plane was going to fly I'd respond with 'every part has flown across the shop at least once.':D if I stopped every time I got upset with myself, it would still be in my garage.

Guilty of running out of back-rivet plate on my rudder too. Funny, I swore I'd never let it happen, but the crease is there nonetheless! :eek:

Have you considered checkerboard paint for the rudder? I'm going that route, and I'll bet after paint I'll never notice the little blem.

ROE

Two mistakes in a row Or any one $100 mistake and I'm done for the day. Luckily the ROE only applied twice during the build

Another of my sore spots is drinking while building. You wouldn't fly while drinking, so why in the world would you build while drinking?

When we started to build, back in 2006, a friend who built a Christen Eagle gave us this advice. "If you find yourself willing to accept less than stellar quality just to keep moving along, take the rest of the day off and go do something else." I found this to be excellent advice during the process.

Been there done that!

I just buggered up a replacement rudder (the original was damaged by insufficient packing during transportation) by transferring frustration from beyond the workshop to my back-riveting - and I went right past the edge of the back rivet plate. Creased the skin and the stiffener. Perhaps still usable.

I know it's an easy mistake to make; I'm not the first to do it, but I did it because my mind was elsewhere and not on the task at hand. Fortunately it's an easy part to re-do. Sadly, it's a hard lesson to learn.

Repetitive tasks like back-riveting stiffeners can allow your mind to wander......

Hey Clay,

Great advice!!!! I did the same thing.....nothing bad or angry but during the repetitive task of backriveting my mind was wandering all over the place like a 7 year old going to get the mail in the mailbox for mom and dad....who comes back in two hours later....all dirty and no mail!!!:D

Anyway....I tried to fix....looked ok...but as I was really checking it out there was a bit of "oil canning" in the area.....that "crease" would no doubt turn into a "crack" while probably oil canning during flight....not a chance I was willing to take....plus potentially having to build a new rudder later-or worse....I just ordered a new skin and made a "no-crease" pretty new rudder.....end of story, peace of mind:)

Thanks for sharing the post!!

Back