What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best way to keep people off your plane?

He used an inexpensive auto alarm, with a remote to activate a mean capacitor and a small coil that kept it charged. When someone would attempt to touch the plane, a small, high voltage bolt of lightening would jump from there intended point of contact and nail them.

Allan...there's your next product!

Many years ago, I was a maintenance engineer in a Nashville recording studio. The studio would supplement their income by letting Grayline bring tours through occasionally. Needless to say we used to have similar problems with tourists want to touch everything.

It was a royal PITA to recalibrate the 24 track tape recorder after every tour. 99% of the problem was solved with a little placard that stated, "Caution - 10,000 Ohms". Since most of the tourist didn't know the difference between an ohm and a volt, it worked most of the time. Every once in awhile, we would get a chuckle from somebody that actual knew what an ohm was.

Many years ago, I was a maintenance engineer in a Nashville recording studio. The studio would supplement their income by letting Grayline bring tours through occasionally. Needless to say we used to have similar problems with tourists want to touch everything.

It was a royal PITA to recalibrate the 24 track tape recorder after every tour. 99% of the problem was solved with a little placard that stated, "Caution - 10,000 Ohms". Since most of the tourist didn't know the difference between an ohm and a volt, it worked most of the time. Every once in awhile, we would get a chuckle from somebody that actual knew what an ohm was.

Funny! :D Reminds me of a friend who was a fighter pilot stationed on the USS Ranger out of San Diego. The carriers have runs of wiring everywhere, and some of it is not all that well insulated. He told me the the game they all tried to avoid playing was "Guess the Amps"! :eek::D

... Over the years we have attended literally hundreds of airshows, showing our WW1 & WW2 war-birds. I can say with some degree of certainty "We have seen or experienced it all". An old (now departed) friend of mine built me a very small, simple unit that helped solve the dilemma on one of my planes that was mirror finish polished. He used an inexpensive auto alarm, with a remote to activate a mean capacitor and a small coil that kept it charged. When someone would attempt to touch the plane, a small, high voltage bolt of lightening would jump from there intended point of contact and nail them. For some unknown reason this seemed to alter there thought process making my airplane far less interesting to fondle. :rolleyes:

Hmmm. Having also spent a bunch of years at airshows with polished warbirds I love this idea.

I am definitely in the "let's promote aviation "crowd and I have found that the following works great.

1. If you are going to be somewhere other than at your plane then drop the flaps and put a Vans travel cover over the canopy. No one will bother the plane.

2. If you are at the plane then open the canopy pull up a chair and let every kid that walks by sit in the plane and tell them all about it!

John Morgan

I ask a Bad A$$ biker chick to guard mine. Working good so far.:)

imagejpg1_zps336bd2c6.jpg

Touchey Feely People

I have read, with enjoyment, the trials and tribulations of air show/fly in pilots.
As the owner of an award winning HIGHLY POLISHED, RV4, I can feel your pain.
I have even had a Judge, yes, a Judge at Sun&Fun lean on the leading edge of my wing with both hand. No big deal, huh? I forgot to mention that his hands were slathered with sun screen. Had to use "C" and "S" to clear the problem.
I think we all agree that there is no totally safe way to display our aircraft.
However I will not leave my ship in my hanger. I built it to fly on an everyday basis.

I would like to tell a story from my airline days.
I was flying Captain in an E120. ( Embraer Brazilia) The pax entry door was directly in front of the #1 prop. People would often just HAVE TO touch the prop
while waiting to board. The E120 had an electric feather feature that was controlled from the cockpit. I would glance out my window, identify a likely suspect and wait for him or her to touch the prop. Upon finger contact, my finger would reach the Electric Feather switch. The result was priceless.

Thanks for reading

Joel

Look at it from their perspective

Completely agree with Bob.

Most of the responses here contemplate establishing a very negative interaction with the public. That certainly will not win aviation any friends. I hate to say it, but many GA pilots come across as gruff, arrogant and unfriendly. I really feel bad for the kids and young people on the other side of the fence who are just dying for some positive interaction, and who are usually ignored or worse yelled at.

Let's not forget who pays for many of our airports and who can vote to kill them. That kid who wants to climb on your pride and joy could be the next Blue Angel, military aviator, Rob Holland or fly-in buddy etc. How about roping your plane off with a sign along the lines of "ask me if you want to get closer -- happy to do a tour. Text me if I'm not around and we'll get together. Kids without muddy shoes get to sit in the cockpit." Last kid I spent a lot of time with is now a FO for Cape Air and occasionally still my flying companion.

This will fall on deaf ears for a fair number of you, but hopefully the rest will take it to heart and become aviation ambassadors.

I have to admit being a little conflicted here.

The obvious proper reaction is we should abhor the idea of people doing damage to our aircraft and take the obvious reasonable steps to keep ignorant people away.

On the other hand, as Brad properly noted, fly-ins ARE opportunities to introduce people to our passion in the hope that they'll (a)understand it and (b) adopt it in our own self interest.

The attitude we bring to that is the one the non-pilot/kids are going to take away about aviation.

There's a happy medium here.

Completely agree with Bob.

Most of the responses here contemplate establishing a very negative interaction with the public. That certainly will not win aviation any friends. I hate to say it, but many GA pilots come across as gruff, arrogant and unfriendly. I really feel bad for the kids and young people on the other side of the fence who are just dying for some positive interaction, and who are usually ignored or worse yelled at.

Let's not forget who pays for many of our airports and who can vote to kill them. That kid who wants to climb on your pride and joy could be the next Blue Angel, military aviator, Rob Holland or fly-in buddy etc. How about roping your plane off with a sign along the lines of "ask me if you want to get closer -- happy to do a tour. Text me if I'm not around and we'll get together. Kids without muddy shoes get to sit in the cockpit." Last kid I spent a lot of time with is now a FO for Cape Air and occasionally still my flying companion.

This will fall on deaf ears for a fair number of you, but hopefully the rest will take it to heart and become aviation ambassadors.

Not my ears. I was that kid a long time ago. I still get a cold shoulder occasionally but very seldom. That's why I pay it forward every opportunity. As my plane is not ready, any one who asks to see the construction is invited in, offered to assist and given a cold beverage. I pass on my magazines to interested kids.

Back