What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RVs and Rockets at Reno

Thanks, it took me a while yesterday to find this information.

Bob Mills is really COOKING - -257+ mph!

We may have to call him "FAST Bob".

I like that first link page that has heats and when they race.

Last edited:
Charlie Runs in the SARL RV Blue class, so it's a 360. But I don't recall if it's parallel or angle valve.

Wow, way to go guys! Bill Beaton is doing well in his HR II as well.

There are a slew of folks running this year which really is nice to see. We had the opportunity to work with Bill earlier this year (as well as a number of other folks with HR's, RV's and Lancairs) and I haven't seen as much enthusiasm for these class of racers - ever! It's really nice to see so many of what I consider "regular good folks" putting an effort into this sport. I hope they do well. Don't get me wrong, I love the unlimited as much as anyone, but for me to ever play with something like that might as well be the space shuttle (ok, so Paul Dye gets that award), but I see these guys as representing the normal guys out there! :)

Cheers,
Stein

VNE

What are these fellows doing to deal with exceeding VNE? Are control surfaces beefed up to prevent flutter, etc? Fast Bob is quite a bit over VNE for an RV6.

What are these fellows doing to deal with exceeding VNE? Are control surfaces beefed up to prevent flutter, etc? Fast Bob is quite a bit over VNE for an RV6.

Bob's airplane was stretched, built with thicker skin, clipped wings (same number of ribs) and a bunch of other mods. Don't know what the real Vne is but I can tell you he's been significantly north of his posted race speed with no issues.

Yep, that's our Bob.

Anybody know what Charlie Greer has under the hood of his RV-6?

Charlie has a special 6- 180 HP parallel with 10 to1 pistons and electronic ignition. But it's a 6 with the first counter weighted modified rudder, a fast round intake cowl - one of the first, and other mods- I wish I could recall the builders name...

I haven't been following this to much, so what is bob doing to go so fast ?
Rocket boosters? Lol

Bird

I haven't been following this to much, so what is bob doing to go so fast ?
Rocket boosters? Lol

Bird

Bob Mills has a parallel valve IO-540 under the cowl. 50% more cubic inches, fuel burn, and horsepower gives him 25% more speed. He has also been doing aerodynamic clean up to get a little less drag.

My -6 was built by Tracy Saylor at Santa Paula in 1992. It has the thicker skins of an -7 on the elevators ailerons and rudder and the rudder was counter balanced. It has 10.5/1 NFS pistons from Lycon in a fairly stock O360 parallel valve. It's light and straight and Tracy changed lots of small things to decrease drag including a plenum and round intakes. He did many cross country races with it with speeds as high as 238 mph. I've been having fun doing a few Xcountry races, lots of acro and a fair amount of formation with it for the last two years. It also runs dual Light Speeds and when you dial back the speed on cross country flight it gets great MPG. It's a gem and I'm lucky to get to enjoy it. Thanks Tracy!
Charlie Greer

I think the van's party is Sat. After the flying At a hangar at the northwest end of the ramp area by the pits. Bob Mills knows more about it. I'm the new guy in Sport. CG

We're having a great time here in Reno, as rookies, learning the ropes. The guys here are guiding us along so as we don't make too many silly mistakes. Special thanks to Bob, Mark & crews for their help.
We are very pleased with our performance so far & hoping to prove our mods are robust & reliable as well. If we can tickle some fiberglass tail feathers along the way, so much more the fun! Power to the Metal Mafia!

Stein- the G3X Touch is working great!

Ralph- Chief lackie for Bill Beaton Race 57 HRII

Video Coverage

There's decent (it gets better every year) video coverage of the races at http://liveairshowtv.com/

You can watch live, but you also roll back to previous races, which is wonderful. It's so cool to see all of the RVs on the course!

"RV Races" are at ~1:14 and ~2:40. Pedal faster Bob!!

-jon

Last edited:
Back