What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Stop weightlifting with traditional squeezers!

ROTARY7

Well Known Member
Here's a tip (ok, it's really a plug): Stop weightlifting with traditional squeezers!

For anyone interested, my company (MDS) has developed a new Hydropneumatic Riveter System. Below are the Youtube links. You can see it at Oshkosh Airventure 2010, at Cleaveland Aircraft Tool's booth, right next to Vans booth.

I developed this system while building my still not complete RV-7 (that is it in the video). One day I'll get it done...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrnGpGR-9Mc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCNSwSy8ZMo

The C-yoke riveter shown, weighs only 2.5 Lbs, with yoke, as compared to a standard squeezer which weighs nearly 6 lbs. It is also obviously smaller. The intensifier (power generation portion with foot valve) can be used to power other heads such as a blind rivet puller or alligator squeezer.

I'll be at Oshkosh on Tuesday and Wednesday on and off at Cleaveland's booth, if you have questions or want to see it in action.

Chris,

I don't yet have a website, although Cleaveland has a Youtube teaser on their homepage. Soon I will have a site, for the pertinant information.

http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/

You certainly can spot quality when you see it, based on your "expensive" comment. The goal is to keep it competitive with a standard pneumatic squeezer in the 3,000 Lbf range. The unit has high quality materials throughout. And it offers more flexibiltiy over traditional units, by allowing the intensifier to be used with different heads. This is to say, that when you buy a C-squeezer, a pop-rivet puller, and so on you are re-purchasing the power generation portion at additional expense.

Thanks Mark..

Looks like a really awesome tool. I will check it out at OSH.
BTW.. When I said expensive, I meant it as a compliment. I am a machinist and auto mechanic by trade, I am well aware of the engineering and work it took to bring your tool to market. I used to make equine prosthetics at my business...can you imagine...
Great idea, and beautiful work.

Kind regards,
Chris

Chris,

I did take the "expensive" comment as a compliment. I also know that many want something for nothing (wouldn't it be nice to have a Snap-on Signature edition tool kit for $100?) and there are those who think that a riveter should be as cheap as you would expect to see at Harbor Freight (no offense to HF, as they do sell some good stuff). With your skill trade, you know as well as I do that inexpensive tools may not be a good investment. I designed this unit to last. Some builders might buy the unit, and then sell it on ebay to get back most of their investment. Heck, maybe I'll offer that option - A rental agreement.

The unit is meant to roughly compete with the traditional squeezers in the force class, but it is more complicated. Lighter, smaller, and more flexible carry some burden.

If you do make it to OSH, please stop by Cleaveland's booth, and take a look at it. I keep an open ear to end user input, and encourage constructive criticism.

Thanks again for your comments.

Gimp2x,

The unit is nearly as fast as a purely pneumatic unit (standard sqeezer). It is moving a compressed fluid (Dexron III ATF) back and forth through a flexible conduit, so that contributes to some delay. Also, the unit shown in the videos has an optional quick disconnect (QD) and optional elbow swivel which further restricts the speed slightly. I don't have time comparisons yet on with / without these options. I don't think the speed difference is huge.

Another thing to consider is holding a faster 6 LB traditional unit for a half hour of constant dimpling, then taking a 15 minute break to do carpel tunnel stretches, versus holding my 2.5 Lb unit for 40 minutes and then painlessly cracking open a few 12 oz-ers.

I see you are building a -7, and I am working on a standard (slow build) -7 kit myself (structure complete). I've dimpled enough to know that holding the 6 Lb squeezer gets old. I'd rather go to the gym and do more varied weightlifting.

Some may feel the need for speed above all else, and I respect that. In that case buy the "1945" design, as Cleaveland refers to it. I have been happy with that unit, purchased from Cleaveland. I think my new unit is better. They must too.

Go to:

http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/

Hydro-Pneumatic Squeezer

Some of the comments from the local premier of the squeezer:

Wow, that is even smaller than it looked in the photos.
Beautiful machine work!
It actuates so smoothly.
Very lightweight and controllable...
When can I get one?

I can't wait to show this to the whole building community! Make sure and stop by and see us near Van's tent at Oshkosh.

I will post more photos and video tonight with a link from our main page at:
www.cleavelandtoolstore.com

------------
Mike Lauritsen

Mark,

First... my hats off to you sir! Blowing the doors off a design thats 50 years old and getting a patented pending! Not an easy task to say the least.

Second... do you have a photo of the complete system? Foot pedal, reservoir, power source and length of tubing?

**** you might forget about the RV-7 once Gulfstream builds your new jet!?;)

Scott

Rhino889,

Thanks so much for the compliments. I had nothing but praise for this product in my two days at Oshkosh (I couldn't be there all week, which I would have loved).

My email address is:

[email protected]

Please send me an email and I will send you a 12 page PDF file (300kb) describing the system with pictures.

I have a website in its infancy:

www.mds-tool.com/

It is so new the site builder still has "Hydropneumatic" spelled wrong. ce la vie. Once it is up and fully running, I will have this and other info for easy download (I've been more pre-occupied with machining parts lately).

Thanks again.

Back