What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O320 camshaft change, cover interference.

carguy614

Well Known Member
Hello all,
Overhaul on an O320 E2A. Installing a new cam with an integral gear. The accy. case cover oil vent baffle will not interface with the cam gear if you switch from the early cam with the separate gear. I hear that the cover must be updated, but I'll bet someone has another answer. Some say to trim down the baffle. Some suggest complete removal of the baffle, although I suspect another form of outboard oil separation may be in order if that road is taken. I will also use no tach drive on this engine as it will sport a pair of Pmags. No reference in the archives, but would really love to hear some input from folks who have cleared this hurdle, sand how it worked as far as blocking oil splash through the vent.
Thanks to all,
Chris

accy case

The accessory case for the integral gear cam and the bolt on gear cam are different. Divco or probably other companys can modify your accy case to properly interface with the integral gear cam. Kind of pricey, I think I was quoted around $300. Most of the accy cases on the used market are the old style. If you want a used accy case, check with the salvage dealers. White Industries in MO and the one in Minneapolis are two of the larger dealers. Make sure they will guarantee the oil pump surface.

The old style accessory cases can be modifed to except the new integral gear camshaft assembly. Contact CRANKCASE SERVICES,Inc. Sand Springs, OK. 1-866-276-6767.
Talk to Kevin or Harold. During this process all dimensions well be checked as well along with crack check.
Give them a call

Accessory cover

Got a look at a new style cover, and it appears that it is the same cover with the baffle removed and the small lip that centers the baffle milled off. The rivet holes are not drilled either. I have been told that all you have to do is remove the baffle to use an integral cam. (I am sure that is not the way it works with certified engines...) Anyway, has anyone actually had the case modified in an "official" manor?? Would like to hear what has been done.

Many thanks to all who have commented both on the message board and by PM.

Regards,
Chris

Back