What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Horn and R-304 Rib, Builders Tip

JonJay

Well Known Member
The plans call for a the Rudder Horn to sandwitch the R-304 rib between it and the R-302 Spar. You then use a spacer of .032 below the rib flange. It is very difficult to meet edge distances on the rib flange, rudder horn, and spacer(not important for the spacer). To make matters worse, my rib flange was not bent correctly from the factory and left even less flange for edge distance concerns. So, be very carefull in laying out your pilot holes in the Rudder Horn! or.... do what I did.
Cut off the flange entirely and make a new, larger flange to replace the spacer. Now you simply layout the Rudder Horn and dont need to worry about the Rib anymore. This also makes a stronger joint here as well.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Tail assembly rudder horn

Thanks so much for your post I just started 3B and have been saved twice now from these post 1st was the rivet spaceing on HS so it does not interfear with attachment to fuse and now this.Also the web site of other 3B assemblys has been a great deal of help Thank you.JimW

Back