What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Setting up AOA Dynon

Hornet2008

Well Known Member
Hi all, new to AOA and have it installed on my Skyview. Question do I set up stall speed clean or with full flaps?

Hi all, new to AOA and have it installed on my Skyview. Question do I set up stall speed clean or with full flaps?

I set mine up for the landing configuration, full flaps.

This, to me, is one of the very few gaping holes in the Skyview system...it has no ability to take into account flap position when displaying/sounding the AOA information/alarms.

So it must be different for the older Dynon D-180. I read where it says to do it with flaps and without flaps. That would also make more sense because if it's only with flaps it won't work well when doing an accelerated stall like on take off or on a go around after you raise the flaps.

My AFS/Dynon setup came with a very detailed in flight calibration procedure for the AOA .
I have a copy if you need it.

So it must be different for the older Dynon D-180. I read where it says to do it with flaps and without flaps. That would also make more sense because if it's only with flaps it won't work well when doing an accelerated stall like on take off or on a go around after you raise the flaps.

Yes, it's different, because *it's not a D-180*. Sigh.

Yes, if it's calibrated with flaps full, it won't work properly with flaps up. That was my point, and as I said, one of the very few things in the SV system I wish they'd fix.

Yes, it's different, because *it's not a D-180*. Sigh.

Thank you for being so condescending, you reminded me of my daughter when she was growing up and sighed at me, once. Hasn't done it since.

Having you here on the forums now will make everything a lot faster to find, we'll all just ask you since you know everything about everything.

Last edited:
Thank you for being so condescending, you reminded me of my daughter when she was growing up and sighed at me, once. Hasn't done it since.

Having you here on the forums now will make everything a lot faster to find, just ask you since you know everything about everything.

Well, I know that the OP was asking about how to set up his AOA on a *Skyview* EFIS.

Sigh.

Thanks for all the replies, found some on the Dynon forums also. Great help, plan on setting it up tomorrow for landing full flaps.

Exactly so he wasn't sure how to do it. What if he missed something? I was just letting him know mine MIGHT be different (because I don't know everything) in order for him to verify as it seems it hadn't read how to do it.

FWIW: Calibrating the DYNON AOA probe is done the same way on a D100, D180, D10A, D6 and the SkyView as per the installation manuals. Personally I calibrated mine with 1/2 flaps. That way it provides the best balance between no flaps and full flaps. To me AOA is a tool, not a crutch. YMMV

:cool:

Last edited:
I agree, this is just one more tool to alert you to the wake up if you're not paying attention. This is what I have on calibrating the AOA which says to do it WITH FULL FLAPS and WITHOUT FULL FLAPS. This makes sense because then you have the entire range as I mentioned in my first post. Then again, I'm not even close to being an aeronautical engineer but I'm sure some of the people at Dynon who created this are :

CALIBRATION CAUTION: It is your responsibility to fly your plane safely while performing any configuration or calibration in flight. The best scenario would include a second person to perform any necessary steps on the FlightDEK-D180.

Once you are flying straight and level at a safe altitude for stalls, enter the EFIS > SETUP > AOACAL menu. While the AOACAL menu is displayed, oscillate the aircraft between ± 5° pitch 4 times at fast cruise airspeed. During this maneuver the FlightDEK-D180 records the lowest angle of attack that you usually see during flight. You do not need to push any additional buttons before starting this maneuver.

Refer to the list below of the stalls recommended to complete the user calibration. The general idea is to record stall data to find the lowest angle of attack stall. The list we have suggested is a starting point and produces a good calibration under most circumstances. However, if there are flight regimes not listed that you suspect would create stalls at lower angle of attack it would be good to record those as well.

With full power, no flaps
With no power, no flaps
With full power, full flaps
With no power, full flaps

Push the STALL button before performing each stall. When you push the STALL button, a 45-second timer starts. Notice the “T” next to the time that is counting down. During the 45 seconds that the timer is counting down, you are expected to have completed the stall maneuver. If any stall maneuver is not completed before the timer expires, the calibration will be invalid, and should be reset. To do this, push the CANCEL button. This exits the AOACAL menu; re-enter it to begin the calibration again. After completing the stall, make sure you let the 45 second timer count down to 0 before you push the STALL button for the next stall.

When the listed stall maneuvers have been completed according to the above procedure, push FINISH. At this point, the AOA indicator has been calibrated.

If it is not visible, turn the display on in the EFIS > SETUP > CLUTTR > AOABAR menu.

This calibration should result in the lowest angle of attack stall occurring just above the red/yellow.

Thanks for all the replies, found some on the Dynon forums also. Great help, plan on setting it up tomorrow for landing full flaps.

You likely read that calibrating AOA at about 3 knots above actual stall will provide better stall warning. This was true for me, as well.

FWIW: Calibrating the DYNON AOA probe is done the same way on a D100, D180, D10A, D6 and the SkyView as per the installation manuals.

I'm sorry, but this is just not true. The Skyview calibration instructions are provided *on screen*, not in the manuals (other than that they say to follow the on-screen instructions). The on-screen instructions say to perform ONE stall, and nowhere mention this list of configurations. It does say on-screen that you *can* perform stalls in other configurations, but per the Dynon forums and various threads there, each time you do, it *resets* the stall speed to the most recent one...no averaging or finding min or max AoAs or the like.

Y'all can go over to the Dynon forums and search there.

This is what I have on calibrating the AOA which says to do it WITH FULL FLAPS and WITHOUT FULL FLAPS.

Again, stated *nowhere* in the SKYVIEW installation or calibration materials, either written or on-screen. That's why it's of no use to the OP, and not only doesn't answer his question, it's confusing. The D-180 is not a Skyview, and the manuals and instructions may be similar, but they're not the same.

It's like someone asking a question about a Garmin GTN-650, and getting a reply that says "the GNS-430 manual says..."

Last edited:
The Skyview calibration instructions are provided *on screen*, not in the manuals (other than that they say to follow the on-screen instructions). The on-screen instructions say to perform ONE stall, and nowhere mention this list of configurations. It does say on-screen that you *can* perform stalls in other configurations, but per the Dynon forums and various threads there, each time you do, it *resets* the stall speed to the most recent one...no averaging or finding min or max AoAs or the like.
"

You state that doing another stall in another configuration resets the stall speed to the most recent one. That would mean they changed it from the previous way of determining AOA in their products.

Aside from people's opinions on forums, is there anything from Dynon saying this to be true?

I'm sorry, but this is just not true. The Skyview calibration instructions are provided *on screen*, not in the manuals (other than that they say to follow the on-screen instructions). The on-screen instructions say to perform ONE stall, and nowhere mention this list of configurations. It does say on-screen that you *can* perform stalls in other configurations, but per the Dynon forums and various threads there, each time you do, it *resets* the stall speed to the most recent one...no averaging or finding min or max AoAs or the like.
Please read pg 15-3 of the Skyview Installation Manual V15.3.3. It states in the screenshot of the on screen display:

"5 - …Because this number <sic: highest AOA> can change as the aircraft configuration changes, you may want to perform more than one stall.

6 - If you wish to do stalls in multiple configurations, then reconfigure the aircraft and perform the stall again, pressing STALL after each stall and recovery.

7 - When done, press SAVE to exit and save the calibration.
"

Only if you press "SAVE" does it overwrite the old data. Otherwise it uses however many stalls you accomplish to calculate an AOA point. As I said in Post #11: "I calibrated mine <SkyView> with 1/2 flaps. That way it provides the best balance between no flaps and full flaps. To me AOA is a tool, not a crutch. YMMV"

Last edited:
Only if you press "SAVE" does it overwrite the old data. Otherwise it uses however many stalls you accomplish to calculate an AOA point. As I said in Post #11: "I calibrated mine <SkyView> with 1/2 flaps. That way it provides the best balance between no flaps and full flaps. To me AOA is a tool, not a crutch. YMMV"

Wait, what? If you don't press "Save", it saves some sort of average value, but if you press "Save" it saves the last value? Where do you see that?

Yeah, I'd like to hear from Dynon, too...I was under the impression that doing multiple stalls allowed it to find the highest angle of attack for a stall, not do some sort of averaging. And that Save actually stored that value after you're all done, but not hitting Save meant it would not be stored, and the previous calibration value would be used.

ETA:

If you perform multiple stalls during the test, it will look for and use the AOA calibration that results in the most conservative stall warning.

Posted by Dynon Support in this thread:

http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1513387624/1#1

Last edited:
Wait, what? If you don't press "Save", it saves some sort of average value, but if you press "Save" it saves the last value?
No, that is not what I said.

It uses that value and the previous others to calculate, via some "propriatory formula", an AOA. The formula is only run after you press SAVE, which is the most conservative one in that series of stalls. At least that was how it was explained to me by DYNON engineers back in 2011when I was researching which EFIS system to install.

FWIW I have done AOA calibrations on D6, D180, and SkyView systems since 2011. For my personal airplane I only did a 1/2 flap stall since, at least to me, it gives the best overall AOA alert operation across all configurations. So this method has not changed since at least 2011 for any of the DYNON products. YMMV

Last edited:
No, that is not what I said.

It uses that value and the previous others to calculate, via some "propriatory formula", an AOA. The formula is only run after you press SAVE, which is the most conservative one in that series of stalls. At least that was how it was explained to me by DYNON engineers back in 2011when I was researching which EFIS system to install.

FWIW I have done AOA calibrations on D6, D180, and SkyView systems since 2011. For my personal airplane I only did a 1/2 flap stall since, at least to me, it gives the best overall AOA alert operation across all configurations. So this method has not changed since at least 2011 for any of the DYNON products. YMMV

OK, well I give up. I don't understand your grammar here for whatever reason:

Only if you press "SAVE" does it overwrite the old data. Otherwise it uses however many stalls you accomplish to calculate an AOA point.

At least we're in agreement that it determines the most conservative value for AOA (either a min or a max, pretty easy "formula").

Like you, I've calibrated both D6 and Skyview since 2012. :)

Debe de ser de Jalisco porque no quiere perder !!!

No, understanding how a flight dynamics indicator is calibrated and used is fairly important. A statement such as was made is confusing and easily misinterpreted by someone (such as the OP) trying to understand how to set up their system.

If the AOA algorithms are looking for the lowest angle of attack, for example, and then just taking the minimum value of n values and updating the system if and only if the SAVE button is pressed, that's a lot different than what was stated.

I still say this would all be irrelevant if Dynon would simply allow inputs for flap position (even just a simple binary up/down), and then use the flap position to choose the right point on a calibration curve.

A bheil thu a' tuigsinn a-nis?

If the AOA algorithms are looking for the lowest angle of attack, for example, and then just taking the minimum value of n values and updating the system if and only if the SAVE button is pressed, that's a lot different than what was stated.

Thank you for confirming what I stated back in post #18:
It uses that value and the previous others to calculate, via some "propriatory formula", an AOA. The formula is only run after you press SAVE, which is the most conservative one in that series of stalls.

Dynon HDX AOA settings

So, what are the AOA Audio Settings or other process or setup to get the Dynon AOA with HDX Skyview to work correctly? Dynon Forum is closed. I have done the Calibration per the on-screen instructions. But the tones seem to be indicating only a stall warning just before stall speed. How do I get it to indicate ONSPEED? I was thinking it should start pulsing as I slow down to landing speed and then go steady sound at ONSPEED and I'm guessing that would be around 65 - 70 on my RV-7A. But all I'm getting is high pitch pulsing tones around 55 kts that go faster and faster until it stall around 48.

Sounds like it you have it working properly. The Dynon system doesn't provide an "on speed" tone. For that you need additional equipment.

Onspeed

Galin
Thanks, that explains it. So basically Dynon AOA warns of approaching stall. Got it. thanks

Back