What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuse on the Way!

ppilotmike

Well Known Member
Woohoo! Placed my order for the SB fuselage today and just had to tell someone. :D Don't forget to beat the Vans price increase that happens on Monday...

Congratulations!!

Now is the time to get the shop in order, and any needed supplies ordered.

Doh!

Doh! No QB! At least it looks like you might have a -3 to fly in the meantime... If I could get back there I'd split it with you:cool:.... Anyway, maybe I'll lend a hand in a deburring, dimpling or riveting session sometime.

I found the fuselage being one of the more satisfying kits to build. You are doing something different everyday and you can see progress daily too.

Enjoy it while you can. The next kit is where all the infamous fun begins.:D

Bob

Congrats Mike!

I found the fuselage being one of the more satisfying kits to build. You are doing something different everyday and you can see progress daily too.

I totally agree, Bob. I'm just about to join the front and mid-fuse sections, and this has been my favorite part of the build so far. Like you said, everything is different, and I feel like I'm build the actual airplane, not just airplane parts.

If anything, I think I'd have rather quick built the wings, which are basically bigger versions of what you already did in the tail feathers... with lots of wash, rinse, repeat.

Fell off the fence to the "left" I guess...

Doh! No QB! At least it looks like you might have a -3 to fly in the meantime... If I could get back there I'd split it with you:cool:.... Anyway, maybe I'll lend a hand in a deburring, dimpling or riveting session sometime.

Derek,

I was definitely on the fence for a while about going QB on the fuse, but I just figured I'd rather spend the money on other things in the future, like avionics or paint, or therapy....:D

When I saw your original post, I went to your kitlog to see where exactly you were in the build, but it hadn't been updated in a while...I see that it is now. I'm at about the same point in the project, flaps ready to skin and match drill, one aileron trailing edge to rivet, the other is waiting for replacement parts, to correct a goof-up of a correction of a goof-up. Don't ask...fuse kit is supposed to ship end of April. Sounds like there might be a multiple -10 coming out party near the same time (left unspecified).

I used the gun for the proseal, but mixed it and filled my own tubes. Ended up going through three quarts of the stuff - I don't know how many prepared tubes that would equate to, as mine weren't always full, and I didn't always use every last drop. Ended up ordering a fourth quart for trailing edges and anything else that might come up.

==dave==

When I saw your original post, I went to your kitlog to see where exactly you were in the build, but it hadn't been updated in a while...I see that it is now. I'm at about the same point in the project, flaps ready to skin and match drill, one aileron trailing edge to rivet, the other is waiting for replacement parts, to correct a goof-up of a correction of a goof-up. ==dave==

Dave,

It sounds like I'm actually quite a bit behind you. I haven't even started my ailerons or flaps, and I'm not ready to close up the wings either. I wonder, can you build and install the flaps and ailerons without closing up the bottom skins in the wings?? Anyhoo, I ordered my fuse kit to beat the price increase. I'll probably have it sitting for a little while before I finish the wings and can tear into it, but at least I won't have to wait for delivery when the time comes. Plus I save a few bucks besides...

Dave,

... I wonder, can you build and install the flaps and ailerons without closing up the bottom skins in the wings??

Yes. I've got my top skins on and have skipped the bottom skin section for now (except for pitot and skin prep which is complete). I've finished my ailerons this past weekend and am half-way through the actuation. Then I'll do flaps and then wing wiring/plumbing. I'll probably have to remove the push-pull aileron tubes before closing the bottom skin but I figure with the bottom of the wing open I have more room to work if there are any difficulties with actuation or wiring (and difficulties, I always seem to have). My fuse is supposed to ship second week of May and my plan is to have the wings complete and out of the garage (I mean, shop) by then.

Thanks.

Mine will likely ship towards the end of May, so I have a little more time. However, I still need to do a few of the things you mentioned, as well as finish my tanks. Steady as she goes...

Like Joe, my plan is to match drill and dimple the bottom skins, feather the edges, then cleco in place for now til all the internals are complete. I haven't actually attached the tanks yet, either. And, it looks like one of the ailerons has a little warp to it - will need to decide if it will be used as is and rebuilt later if necessary or if it's significant enough to redo now. I figure I've got five weeks minimum til the fuse shows up, should be enough time to get everything assembled...

==dave==

Back