What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leading edge left and right

Fracrat

Left and right leading edge splice strip. Aft most nut plate aft most rivit shop head is rubbing on spar flange. It's not siting flush. This is happening on top and bottom. It appears I need a one leg nutplate here. Any thoughts? Have checked the plans and plan on calling van's this afternoon.

Thanks

Thanks Justin. Can't call vans until 3:30 eastern but will let you know. Feel better another builder is experiencing same issue.

try from pc

picture of issue
D5102F8A-308C-4CEF-89DA-89B7FF795668-14054-000002EBD0123420_zps9e447b26.jpg

I can't tell how off it is but I would just squeeze that rivet connecting the nut plate a little more.

I believe this issue was discussed at some point in the past and the fix was to squeeze the rivet a little harder to flatten it more.

Thanks

Thanks to all. My main concern is that over time ,with tank installed, any clearance will be eliminated and a rubbing situation will possibly cause a structural problem on the spar. Maybe over thinking!

I noticed the same thing on my wings.

I just (over) squeezed that rivet a bit, and got a bit of breathing room.

It looked to me like the space between the spar flange and the step bar was sufficient to 'hold' a shop head, so I didn't worry about it. Looked like part of the design...

348qed4.jpg

==dave==

tanks finished, waiting to test
ordering fuse

This has been discussed in the past - well-known issue. Over-squeeze the rivet to get the clearance. I really don't think you want the rivet rubbing against the spar.......

Back