What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lowrance Airmap

MXpilot1

I have been using an Airmap 2000C GPS in my -6 for two years. There has been several times when I had an airport selected, I could clearly see the airport and the GPS was pointing 10 or 20 degrees off. This weekend I was returning from the Bahamas to West Palm Beach. I was lined up on the localizer but my the GPS was pointing 20 degrees to the north. I re-entered the airport several times with the same result. I notice too that whenever I set a radial to a VOR there is a slight to significant difference from the OBS in my panel. I have updated the software twice. No joy! Has anyone else experienced this?

I have been using an Airmap 2000C GPS in my -6 for two years. There has been several times when I had an airport selected, I could clearly see the airport and the GPS was pointing 10 or 20 degrees off. This weekend I was returning from the Bahamas to West Palm Beach. I was lined up on the localizer but my the GPS was pointing 20 degrees to the north. I re-entered the airport several times with the same result. I notice too that whenever I set a radial to a VOR there is a slight to significant difference from the OBS in my panel. I have updated the software twice. No joy! Has anyone else experienced this?

This may be a bit obvious, but be sure you are selecting an airport, not a VOR. If you have the Airmap pointed at a VOR on the field, you will see an error.

I've been flying the Airmap 1000 for a few years and it has been dead accurate.

I love my Airmap 1000, as well. I've used it to fly to the Bahamas, up the east coast to Pennsylvania, all over Georgia and Florida, and as far west as....uh....Alabama (gonna fix that this summer with a trip to Ca.) Never a problem.

Hmmmm... Very Interesting!

I've used my 2000c to fly direct-to airports and VOR's, and in fact often fly a synthetic Victor airway using this GPS. Although I don't have a VOR in my airplane with which to compare outputs, I do know that I've often seen the VOR station dead ahead, and of course regularly fly over the center of an airport. Not sure where your problem may lie, except perhaps in GPS settings (bearing in True rather than Mag?).

I have an AIRMAP 100, 500 and a 600C. All units are right on. In fact the 600C came with terrain and it is amazing! And it projects your path in time and distance. For $499 WOW!
None of these units have ever been off of their mark.

500 vs 600c

I have a airmap 500 and looking to upgrade it to the 600c.

The 500 is recessed into the panel but can be removed. Does the 600c have the same dimensions/contour/profile?

Im wondering if I am going to have to alter the panel or if by luck the 500 and the 600c are interchangable in the recess.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Kevin

where is it pointing

I have had the same thing happen ONCE and never repeated on my 430. I posted it here http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=14738 It was not pointing at the VOR nor any other radio aid to navigation that I could find. It has never repeated. I now have a 430W. It may be your antenna placement and some sort of weird signal interference. This is just a guess and not an educated one at that. Maybe someone that knows GPS reception will read this and comment.

600C here, love it... but dont use it much since the plane I fly most of the time as a garmin 430.

NOT THE SAME...........

I have a airmap 500 and looking to upgrade it to the 600c.

The 500 is recessed into the panel but can be removed. Does the 600c have the same dimensions/contour/profile?

Im wondering if I am going to have to alter the panel or if by luck the 500 and the 600c are interchangable in the recess.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Kevin

600C IS BIGGER........... 2.70" at the widest point. 5.85" tall. 1.22" thick at it's thickest point.
But then the problem I have is they switched two of the button locations.

I do like my 600C. But if I could only have one, It would be the 500.

The 600C is a great value for a color GPS that has the features it has.
The 500 is an amazing value.;)

Warren

Last edited:
Lowrance is good stuff

I use a Lowrance Airmap 2000 in my Searey and as a street navigation tool in the truck. I also have a Lowrance in the flats boat. You can tell especially in the truck, that it is right on. It is a great unit and great competition to Garmin. The big G better watch out, when they release a portable unit with weather for $1,000 dollars less money! Just a prediction..... no inside information.:rolleyes:

I vote for True versus Mag. setting

I have a garmin and there is a setting for True or Magnetic with isogonic variation.
I bet this setting has gotten changed somehow.
Good luck,
Jim

Apparent offset

Something else to think about is a stiff crosswind.

Returning Northward from S n F at 10,500 ft. with the autopilot tracking the gps, I noticed an airport ahead off to my right. Looking at my gps track, it should have been on my left. I verified the airport and that it should pass by on the left.

Sure enough when I was abeam the airport it was on my left side. What I wasn't thinking of, was the 75 knot wind directly on my left wing.

Would have been a wonderful day to be returning to Georgia from Oklahoma!:D

Back