What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT HXr Displays

dglye

I'm New Here
Does anyone know of a shop or individual who is familiar with GRT displays and interfaces with Garmin and Trutrac autopilots. Use to be able to control autopilot thru the HXr display, but now am not. Thanks

Welcome to VAF

David, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Call GRT, they are good about helping folks.

Does anyone know of a shop or individual who is familiar with GRT displays and interfaces with Garmin and Trutrac autopilots. Use to be able to control autopilot thru the HXr display, but now am not. Thanks

Any luck with the GRT Forums or support lines? I've found them to be responsive. Although, their lack of HXr manual and consolidated supporting documentation is inexcusable.

What changed between the "could" and "but now cannot"? Wiring change? Software update?

I have HXr with GRT servos so likely can't help. Maybe post your issues here and let the 50-lbs heads chime in.

HXr and Trutrak Control

I have the HXr and the Vision Trutrak installed in my 9A.
I have recently been working on my instrument ticket and have just gone
through the task of getting three different pieces of equipment to talk
to each other. I have the GTN650 talking either direct to the autopilot or to
the HXr. I have toggle switch on panel to make the choice, I leave in EFIS.
The HXr will not control the autopilot unless the Trutrak is first in Altitude
Hold mode then switch to the GPSS VS mode.

What I do:
In the EFIS AP I choose HDG, set roll out altitude and climb rate and sync
heading bug.
On climb out I hit the black knob on the AP to turn it on. For TT it will
hold the climb. I then hit the Altitude button then the black knob on the
TT for altitude hold then tap the Mode button until GPSS VS is showing
in the TT window.
As soon as you get to GPSS VS the AP is following the HXr auto pilot commands.
You can then go into HXr AP and choose your AP mode.
Works for me

GRT

Lost 429 input to the G530, had an avionics guy repair 429 plug only to lose ability to work a/p thru GRT screen. There are common wires eminating from the 429 plug to the autopilot. Undid 429 plug to see if anything was amiss, with no obvious conclusions. I will try GRT forums, thanks.

Lost 429 input to the G530, had an avionics guy repair 429 plug only to lose ability to work a/p thru GRT screen. There are common wires eminating from the 429 plug to the autopilot. Undid 429 plug to see if anything was amiss, with no obvious conclusions. I will try GRT forums, thanks.

It seems highly likely that is the source of your trouble. There is one arinc 429 output pair from the HXr. Wires must be spliced, so one pair goes to the GPS, and a second pair goes to the autopilot. Pull the arinc plug connections on the TT, GRT, Garmin, and check out the connections with an ohmmeter. Look for continuity, and make sure A and B didn’t get reversed.

Back to the OP: You said ‘Garmin and TruTrak autopilots’. Garmin tends to keep accessory software proprietary. I doubt the GRT can control a Garmin autopilot. OTOH (although it sounds like you already have a TruTrak) the GRT can control a Trio Pro, and without the button pushing described in post #4. IMHO Trio is a better autopilot, for a number of reasons, except that it takes up more panel space.

Back