What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider latch hole

Step Drill

I drilled a pilot hole first - been a long time ago, but probably started with #40 and progressively and slowly got to 1/4". Then used a step drill to get the hole done. With plexiglass, my recommendation is go slow (rpm) and only the pressure needed to get the job done - no more. Also, do not drill in cold temperatures.

Merrill

Canopy latch hole

Drilled a small pilot hole, maybe the size of the larger bits web, then drilled with a 1/64" undersized. Reamed it to final size.
You probably already know this but it bears repeating for those who may not - If you back-grind your drill bit, so that the bit has a slightly negative rake on the cutting lip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAngKHIZgyA
This will help keep the bit from screwing itself in when i breaks though and cracking the plexi. I remove the material with e side of the grinding wheel and take off much more than on the video. Also, when reaming in plastic, use a sharp reamer as a dull reamer will put a lot of force on the material and could break it.
Test the technique on some scrap a time or two before doing it "for keeps"!

I just used a step drill with the canopy frame as a guide. These photos along with others are at my Kitlog site.

FP08072016A0001V.jpg

FP08072016A0001W.jpg

Plex drilling

The only hole in my slider is the latch, Sika everywhere else. Before going near the canopy with a drill I made 20+ test holes in scrap with various bits to validate the tools and techniques. Use a hi power magnifying glass to look for chipping around the holes. After all that I used a sharp 3/32 bit to make the initial pilot hole with a wood support block on the other side. I had 2 new unused Unibits saved for this specific task but found they left a unacceptable amount of chipping around the test holes on the exit side. Upsized the hole to final size with a old well used Unibit then sanded/polished with 600 then 1200 grit sandpaper wrapped around a wood dowel. A bit overkill perhaps, but this is a good place for a little of that.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Back