What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show your camera

Vlad

Well Known Member
I am in desperate need to upgrade. My Nikon D50 SLR is more then 10 years old. Battery is still going strong but the camera is so yesteryear. What are you using now to shoot from the cockpit? Any recommendations on amateur entry level SLR with lens? I set an eye on D3400 wondering if anybody use it.

my%20cameras%20-%201%201.jpg

Hey Vlad
My son just purchased the D5500
I have not had it in the cockpit yet but you are welcome to stop by and try it out!,

I'm still using my D40.

When I get the urge to upgrade my DSLR, I usually spend money on a good lens. The plastic lenses that come with the Costco/ Amazon package deals are a great place to start with upgrades.

When I get the urge to upgrade my DSLR, I usually spend money on a good lens.

Normally good advice. But if you're shooting thru the canopy the plexi will limit the quality, and going from a fairly good to a great lens won't help.

I'm still using my D40.
Me too!

When I get the urge to upgrade I stop to think how many times we've actually used the D40, the Fuji or the swell little Samsung S10 video camera we have over the last couple of years. 99% of our photography is done with our phones.

After growing up using a Minolta SR-T 102 and doing my own processing, I'm sad to say that better lenses or better cameras would be wasted on us.

Normally good advice. But if you're shooting thru the canopy the plexi will limit the quality, and going from a fairly good to a great lens won't help.

For shooting through plexiglass, I use either the GoPro, or my iPhone. When the DSLR comes out, its serious.

I think Ed Hicks' photographs are a good example of what can be achieved while shooting through a canopy.

I believe he uses a Nikon 700 and when he was doing an air to air shoot with my RV-8 (as in my avatar), he had the stock Nikon 18-200 lens.
In my case he was shooting from the back seat of an RV-8 and managing to contort himself into all sorts of aiming positions and still avoid reflections.

I've recently upgraded from a Nikon D50 to D7200 keeping my old lenses and mainly using the 18-105 and 70-300 lenses. In the cockpit I find it easier to use a smaller camera, so I use a Nikon 1 V3 mostly (which can use my other Nikon lenses with an adaptor).

There are a multitude of good digital cameras available now, mostly with more functionality than I'll ever use and it'll be difficult to go too far wrong with any of them.

The dpreview.com web site is a good resource for doing research and finding a good match for your budget and needs.

I think Ed Hicks' photographs are a good example of what can be achieved while shooting through a canopy.

I've recently upgraded from a Nikon D50 to D7200 keeping my old lenses and mainly using the 18-105 and 70-300 lenses. In the cockpit I find it easier to use a smaller camera, so I use a Nikon 1 V3 mostly (which can use my other Nikon lenses with an adaptor).

Thanks Mark. One of my coworker has 7200 and promised to bring it.

Canon T6s

I'd been thinking about upgrading to a DSLR for quite a while. I started by looking at the entry level Nikon like the D3400.

As I began researching the various models, I decided that I wanted a least a couple of steps up from a basic DSLR.

I finally purchased a Canon T6s with 2 lenses: 18-55mm & 55-250mm.

The features that led me to the Canon T6s are: articulating LCD that is touch enabled, great auto-focus system, easy to switch between shooting modes and fairly intuitive controls. Even thought I wasn't looking for video, this camera is also a very good video camera.

The T6i has all the features of the T6s, except for the small LCD screen on the top of the camera.

I've been playing with the camera a bit and I really like the Continuous Shooting mode.

There's a good youtube video done by Tony Northrup on the T6s. He also has a number of other camera review vidoes.

Currently using a 2015 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 with two lenses; the stock 18-55 and a 55-250. Absolutely love this camera. If I had to do it again, I'd have traded the stock lens for the 18-250 that's available now. Although I'm not sure it would fit in my camera bag, it would save me a lot of lens-swapping.

Just Purchased D3400

Vlad, my daughter the photo guru, talked me into getting a D3400 in a bundle
package. Came from Beach Camera in NY. Both 55mm and 70-300.
I have used it once in the plane (9A) so far. I used the 300mm and with
the anti jiggle that's built into the camera and was amazed I was able to
Get some decent pics. It was real hazy the day I went but pics were decent.
No telling what you could do!
I'll send you a couple to your email.

I am still shooting photos with a Nikon D5000. My wife and I decided to spend money on a decent camera instead of paying for wedding photographer. We let our guests pass the camera around (along with putting out about a dozen or so disposable 35mm cameras) during the wedding and reception.

It was awesome! We got to see our wedding from our guests perspective, and they took photos of things that they liked in our wedding. And, since the D5000 is a pretty decent camera, we just stuck it on the auto settings and let it do all the fancy stuff.

Here's a few that came out of this camera: https://goo.gl/photos/WN8X7GAiCNtzbhbZ9

https://goo.gl/photos/ivXSeFMfXHVm8ycA9

https://goo.gl/photos/7fNvEykyAgMpc3YMA

https://goo.gl/photos/fFdipZXuaGJTnMtt9

And those were all shots done with the camera on the most basic "auto" settings, and all done by several different guests from the wedding.

That was back in 2010, and I am sure Nikon has improved the D5*** line by now, but it was a very fairly priced camera back then. I have been using it ever since, taking photos of vacations, our baby, other peoples weddings, trips, you name it. It has held up really well over the past 6 or 7 years.

If you are looking for a good, fairly priced DSLR its hard to go wrong with that line. Nikon has much better (and more expensive) cameras, but the D5*** line is a really good pro-sumer model.

phone gimbal

You might be surprised if you look another direction. In the old days... you would spend a small fortune for a gyro stabilizer. Heavy and expensive. Now, you can buy a gimbal mount that weighs little and costs a couple hundred. Mount an iphone on it and you have an aerial camera that stays level, smooth and takes amazing shots. Then on the ground it still has countless places to use it. Even running works better than I thought. I shoot smooth motion video from a Segway too. Good luck!

Nikon coolpix p610

Vlad,
You actually commented on my wife's camera when you came to Brokenstraw and gave me a ride. If you want the simplicity of a point and shoot it works really well and has a killer zoom. Here are a few pics. The moon pics I used a tripod. I actually can zoom in a little more!
255qtg6.jpg
[/IMG]
2ypkkkx.jpg
[/IMG]
206hsgx.jpg
[/IMG]
Dave

Currently using a 2015 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 with two lenses; the stock 18-55 and a 55-250. Absolutely love this camera. If I had to do it again, I'd have traded the stock lens for the 18-250 that's available now. Although I'm not sure it would fit in my camera bag, it would save me a lot of lens-swapping.

Martin thanks I guess I am "stuck" with Nikon brand. :)

I'll send you a couple to your email.

John got your pictures amazing!

I am still shooting photos with a Nikon D5000. My wife and I decided to spend money on a decent camera instead of paying for wedding photographer. We let our guests pass the camera around (along with putting out about a dozen or so disposable 35mm cameras) during the wedding and reception.

It was awesome! We got to see our wedding from our guests perspective, and they took photos of things that they liked in our wedding. And, since the D5000 is a pretty decent camera, we just stuck it on the auto settings and let it do all the fancy stuff.

Here's a few that came out of this camera: https://goo.gl/photos/WN8X7GAiCNtzbhbZ9

https://goo.gl/photos/ivXSeFMfXHVm8ycA9

https://goo.gl/photos/7fNvEykyAgMpc3YMA

https://goo.gl/photos/fFdipZXuaGJTnMtt9

And those were all shots done with the camera on the most basic "auto" settings, and all done by several different guests from the wedding.

That was back in 2010, and I am sure Nikon has improved the D5*** line by now, but it was a very fairly priced camera back then. I have been using it ever since, taking photos of vacations, our baby, other peoples weddings, trips, you name it. It has held up really well over the past 6 or 7 years.

If you are looking for a good, fairly priced DSLR its hard to go wrong with that line. Nikon has much better (and more expensive) cameras, but the D5*** line is a really good pro-sumer model.

Great story of wedding pictures.

You might be surprised if you look another direction. In the old days... you would spend a small fortune for a gyro stabilizer. Heavy and expensive. Now, you can buy a gimbal mount that weighs little and costs a couple hundred. Mount an iphone on it and you have an aerial camera that stays level, smooth and takes amazing shots. Then on the ground it still has countless places to use it. Even running works better than I thought. I shoot smooth motion video from a Segway too. Good luck!

Interesting idea with iPhone mount. An alternative of GoPro for sure :)

Vlad,
You actually commented on my wife's camera when you came to Brokenstraw and gave me a ride.

Dave they discontinued the model Linda has unfortunately. I do have her pictures of my airplane on that day they are of great quality.

come on vlad your a rich airplane owner, spring for the nikon d5. 6k won't take to much out of your 100LL budget!:D

truthfully all of the D series are great cameras. im leaning towards the 5500 right now, i would love a d5 but can't justify spending that much.

bob burns
N82RB RV-4

Nikon D200

I am using an outdated Nikon D200 for most of my shooting. I have a throw away D3200 I use if the weather is bad. (Someone else was throwing it away after they cleaned it and the chemical made the grip sticky )

Vlad,
Didn't realize they discontinued it. Look at the coolpix p900. When I got her camera I wanted to get the p900 but it wasn't out yet. It has a bigger zoom than Linda's camera. We've had Canon before with different lenses but it's so much simpler to not have to worry about bringing other lenses. If the type of photography you do mostly is the trip pics you post here it would be a good choice. Good luck with the search!
Dave

Man, this was an expensive thread!

I'd been hankering after a new camera, and after reading what y'all had posted, I got myself a Nikon D5600. So far I've only got one lens, a very sweet 16-80 mm zoom.

This combination weighs about 2 pounds, 5 oz., ready to go, and one of the reasons I made these choices is that there are many heavier choices (some much more expensive) available.

Dave

Man, this was an expensive thread!

I'd been hankering after a new camera, and after reading what y'all had posted, I got myself a Nikon D5600.

Expensive indeed. I went a notch lower but the salesman was trying hard to convince me on Bluetooth. I got 5500 with kit lens 18-140. Still learning one hand operation. :)

camera%20-%201.jpg

camera%20-%201%201.jpg

Fuggitabout an iPad

One thing I know is that taking inflight photos with an iPad is just about impossible. First of all, the darn thing auto-focuses on the canopy and there's no built-in manual focus option to set the focus on infiniity. I see there are apps that will allow that, but that brings up the second problem. You would need three hands: One to hold the iPad, a second hand to adjust the focus, and a third hand to tap the button to take the photo. Meanwhile, people like me with no autopilot would be spiraling into the ground while fiddling with the settings. Speaking of settings, even with the screen at full bright, you can't see the settings if the sun is shining on the iPad. I'll stick to my little Kodak point-and-shoot camera with the infinity focus setting.

I use 2 Canon 5D classics and a 5DMkIII along with various lenses. Good thing I have an autopilot..... Nah.. When doing air to air I let some one else fly.

Last edited:
One thing I know is that taking inflight photos with an iPad is just about impossible.
I had my Ipad on a suction mount when I did the flight to the UK in 2013 mainly to have the approach plate handy. Going in to Greenland I let it record video for the landing at Illulisat crossing the Icefjord. Results were not too bad except for the shutter effect on the prop.

https://youtu.be/oGBOjK0B5Xg

Back